Running then Lifting OR Lifting then Running?

Options
Does it matter the order of your exercise. I read an article that said you should do cardio before you lift because it allows you to lift while your heart rate is already up. My issue is I have tried lifting after I run, and I am typically so worn out and out of breath from my cardio that I can only get in like 5min of lifting before I feel like I am going to pass out

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    which is more important to you? do that one first
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Looks like you answered your own question there. In general, a short warmup period is recommended before lifting, like 5-10 minutes on the elliptical or treadmill or whatever, then get your lifting in, followed by cardio.
    Mike
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Lift first. Even running coaches recommend it I believe.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Just do the one as it sounds like your not maximising your routine if your doing both.

Best give 100% to either cardio or lifting in one secession.
  • d3ck5
    d3ck5 Posts: 47
    Options
    ive always done a short warm up job (not run) before lifting any weights.

ive also lifted pretty much the second i stepped into a gym. i didnt enjoy the sensation much but have seen others do it with no problems.

personally, i warm up before lifting.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Short warm up, lift and then run. I would not run first then lift because then I'd be tired from running and my lifting form could be bad.
  • balletpolegirl
    balletpolegirl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think I remember reading somewhere once that you shouldn't lift after running too much because your energy stores will already be depleted. Whether that's true or not is another matter!
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Maybe this (I do it now):
    In general, a short warm-up period is recommended before lifting, like 5-10 minutes on the elliptical or treadmill or whatever, then get your lifting in, followed by cardio.

Maybe this:
    Whatever is more important to you, do first

But not this:
    Lift first. Even running coaches recommend it I believe.

Never in my years of running on a team did we lift before running... coaches think the "important first" method.
    However, I do all my weight lifting before my runs nowadays because I'm on my own and I figure that I don't want to train on tired muscles. I'll usually do a warm-up run first though.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'd do 5-10 mins of warm up before lifting.

I would not do serious cardio and serious lifting on the same day.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Lift first. You really need your glycogen for lifting and you don't want to be doing it in an already fatigued state.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I don't cardio and lift on the same days. I split them up so that I can focus hard on both and not have one affect the other so much.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you have to do them consecutive with no break, lift then run. Running on tired legs is ok. Lifting when you are already spent is pointless.
  • MJC360
    MJC360 Posts: 368
    Options
    It depends on what is most important to you. If you lift first you have more energy available to you, which will allow you to lift more/heavier. If you run first you'll be able to run longer/faster.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I always lift first, it just takes too much out of me. Anything that's left (and there usually isn't much) goes to the treadmill.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I lift first to deplete energy and then run afterwards to start taking from fat stores as fuel - or something like that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i only run once a week..so I always lift first...
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    How true it is but on bodybuilding.com I read to do lifting first and cardio after. I have tried it both ways and it sucks both ways but I like the strength training more than cardio so I try to always get it in first!
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    If you run and then lift you arent putting enough energy into your lifting, and if you lift and then run, you didnt put enough energy into your lifting ... Just my opinion :D
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    If you run and then lift you arent putting enough energy into your lifting, and if you lift and then run, you didnt put enough energy into your lifting ... Just my opinion :D

I only run in the gym after I've done a 'light' full body workout i.e. 2 sets x15 reps. I've progressed to 3x8, 4x6, 5x5 now so I do my best to keep the weights and cardio away from each other on the same day.