I'm taking 1200-1500 calories /day is that OK ?

Options
Ok now It's one month that I've been working out 5x a week and running 2x a week. Basically I'm taking only shakes. I take Sun Warrior + Mass Fuzion + CLA + L Carnitine + Creatine + Glutamine + BCAA basically three times a day. My question is whether is ok to take only shakes, because what happens is that I'm not feeling hungry at all after drinking 72+ Oz of water in a day...
Im trying to loose fat and gain lean mass, is this the best way?
Cheers

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Wait. You're not eating food? Just drinking shakes?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about what your nutrition looks like with a diet of only shakes.
    And if your water intake is preventing you from wanting to eat solid food, you may want to consider cutting back a bit or spacing out your water consumption throughout the day.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hunger signals can be surpressed for sometime after intense exercise sessions. That's why you think you are not hungry enough to actually eat.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You have all the things in the shakes to give better fat loss, protein synthesis, amino acid support etc but you need to think about what you need first. What does your body need for base survival, you basal calorie requirement. Maybe 1500 minimum. Then you need to think about the fact that if you want to build muscle you need extra calories which you aren't getting. L-Carnitine, BCAAs etc are great once you have the foundations in place. What are your workouts? Weight training, cardio? These will also need nutritional requirements. I burn around 18000 calories a week on basal rate and exercise. Split that seven ways, you get around 2600 calories a day. I think I'd collapse if I had just 1200...
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Just shakes? NO!
  • motta218
    Options
    Sometimes I eat a natto omelette for dinner... Like I wake up, take the shake, at 11am I train and after the train I take the post-workout shake and after that I'm FULL for the rest of the day pretty much... At night if I'm hungry again I have a natto omelette and right before bad the shake again...
  • motta218
    Options
    My workouts basically are upper body 3x a week, lower body 1x a week and a cardio circuit 1x a week. On the top of that I run 3 days per week and stretch for an hour 3x a week... Thats how active I am...
  • motta218
    Options
    ;)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat a natto omelette for dinner... Like I wake up, take the shake, at 11am I train and after the train I take the post-workout shake and after that I'm FULL for the rest of the day pretty much... At night if I'm hungry again I have a natto omelette and right before bad the shake again...

Well as long as you sometimes have an omelette everything should be fine.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    No 1200-1500 a day for a 26 yr old male working out quite a lot is not ok at all. Eat some real food and take in more calories. Think of your health and not just losing weight.
  • SelahattinSaatduzen
    Options
    I think you skipped the part of adding the calories you burned through exercise to your TDEE.
    There is NO WAY you will build decent muscle mass on a cut with such a big deficit from your BMR, unless this is your first year of working out and eating at TDEE or slighty below that. Secondly you shouldn't be in a bigger deficit than 500kcal a day(500gr a week) if you want to minimize muscle loss.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What's with all the young men thinking they're going to gain muscle on 1200 calories? It seems to be a trend lately.

I don't know about the shakes in lieu of food question, although it sounds terrible, but I know you're going to need more calories if you want to add muscle mass. If you're new to lifting you've got about 6 months of newbie gains to look forward to, so make sure you maximize it. Eat enough protein (1 gram per pound of LBM or .8 grams per pound of body weight), eat enough calories in general, and train hard.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    ;)

Winky face makes me think you are trolling... But in case you're serious, you should know that you will not gain lean muscle mass on a calorie deficit. As a young male, your absolute lowest calorie intake per day would be 1500-1800 (1200 minimum is for women). Add in your activity calories and we're probably talking more like 2500 per day if not more.

Plug your info into the site linked below, make sure to use the gain muscle, lose fat setting under goal (step 6) and do some serious thinking about eating real food. I can't imagine drinking shakes all day would be good for you long term

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just curious when you had all your teeth removed? That is the only reason I can fathom for drinking all of your meals? Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    You've been here since April? But you have no one on your FL? And your diary and activity are closed?

It's impossible to find out where you got the idea or why you feel shakes only would be okay. It's also impossible to see if those shakes and omelletes are meeting your macros? Or if your workouts are causing a huge calorie deficit or if those are your net cals or total cals. Or if those shakes have any fiber, or how much protein, or anything.

It would help you greatly to get at least a couple people on your FL to see what you're doing and to keep an eye out for possible pitfalls. All in all I am ending my post with a great deal of concern for you. Hope it is unwarranted. Good luck on your journey ;-).