Tips on 5K beginners!

Options
I am running in a Thanksgiving Day 5K, and I just wanted to know if any of you have tips for me. I can run two miles without stopping now, but I doubt that I'll be able to do three in three weeks time. I don't care about the time right now, that can be worked in the next 5K I run. My goal is to finish without stopping running this time!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I am running my first on saturday, I would say run as much as you can, there is no shame in walking or slowing down, just finishing will be an accomplishment
  • katimari
    katimari Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    No tips, but just wanted to offer my encouragement. I'm running my first 5k next Friday and i'm in the exact same situation as you. I can run about 2.36 miles straight and I really want to be able to run the entire 5k. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Kati and Jrich. I'm gonna do my absolute best, and only offer what I can give at the time. My next 5K is BOUND to be better! :bigsmile:
  • paul100
    Options
    If your goal is to finish and you don't care about the time then the trick is to run at a very gentle pace. At the start of a race it's easy to get excited... there will be adrenaline flowing through your system, some people will go off very fast; if it's a big event there may be spectators urging you on. Ignore all of that and take it nice and easy.

With experience you begin to learn what kind of pace you are able to maintain over a given distance and then you can start working on improving speed.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Looks like we are all on the same page! I run my first this Saturday. I ran 3 last friday and then again on sunday. first time EVER!! I just keep moving, even if that means slowing down. I added 1/2 mile a week and only did 1 "long" run a week. You have 3 weeks yet...plenty of time. Just slow down and breathe :) Good luck!!
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    just keep moving and dont give up!
  • calcote05
    calcote05 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I recently began running and I ran my first 5k in October. I ran a 10k last weekend and am running a 12k in 3 weeks. I interval run. I run for 4 mins and walk for 2. I am not fast at all, but I feel great and I feel like I can keep going. I don't know if that will help you any, but I just thought I'd share. I follow a program by Jeff Galloway, you may want to look him up. I am currently training for a half marathon (in Feb) and I will run it the same way I am currently running. Good luck!
  • skinnyack
    Options
    My mom suggests a good warm up. She's done a couple 5k's and also a half. She says her and her running buddy usually walk almost a mile before just to make sure they are nice and loose...
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    My mom suggests a good warm up. She's done a couple 5k's and also a half. She says her and her running buddy usually walk almost a mile before just to make sure they are nice and loose...

I ALWAYS stretch 5 minutes prior and walk about half a mile before my run.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I want to do 5k's!! I did 1.5 miles the other night for the first time. I felt like I could keep going, but I was on a schedule and had to get off the treadmill.

Do you find running outside different from running on a treadmill?

Just do your best.

1horsetown
  • OCLarry
    Options
    I am no way a runner, but my wife use to like running. One year she trained for a half marathon. She never once ran the full 13.3 during practice, but consistently did 8-9 miles. A week before the event, she was really worried that she would not be able to complete the event. We were all surprised when she finished the event! According to her, it's all about resilience and determination to rise to the occasion. You've done an incredible job on your journey, I'm sure you'll have the drive and determination to conquer that 5k!
  • fitmirandaallen
    Options
    I just ran my 1st 5k 2 months ago. I ran my 2nd 5k last weekend :) My advice is to jog really slow. I don't worry about running fast. I worry about distance. If I run to fast, then I can't breath & have to stop. So, just take it nice & slow. I was only running 2 miles without stopping before my 1st 5k. However, I ran almost the whole 5k on race day. I just walked the last 1/10 of a mile. I was told that everyone does better on race day than when they train. I think it is because of all the excitement. So, you may suprise yourself by how good you will do. I'm sure you will do great. If you have to walk some it doesn't matter. Just do your best. Races are adicitive. So, I know you'll do another one :) Good Luck!!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Ive done several this past year and I cant stress enough PACE PACE PACE yourself. Your going to go out stronger than you think when you think your going slow, slow down. Once you hit the halfway mark then think about picking up speed you want to finish stronger than you started.

Hold a little back so you can sprint the last 1/8 mile to the end. It always feels good to finish super strong!

When you finish don't sit down walk around grab something to eat get something to drink walk around and keep moving for about 5-10 minutes after you finish
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Bump - I'm considering doing a 5K
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    If you can run 2 miles, you can most definately run 3!!! keep your pace, you CAN do it. It is all in your head Good Luck!!!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    Ive done several this past year and I cant stress enough PACE PACE PACE yourself. Your going to go out stronger than you think when you think your going slow, slow down. Once you hit the halfway mark then think about picking up speed you want to finish stronger than you started.

Hold a little back so you can sprint the last 1/8 mile to the end. It always feels good to finish super strong!

When you finish don't sit down walk around grab something to eat get something to drink walk around and keep moving for about 5-10 minutes after you finish

I LOVE sprinting the last 1/8 mile! It feels SOOOO good!
  • DevonC10
    Options
    I agree on taking it slow at first then break out into a run, then slow it down at the end. I'm thinking about joining my school team for the Susan G Komen run for the cure on Sunday..
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Run intervals - run for 10 minutes walk for 1 minutes...repeat. This will increase your endurance.

and don't be afraid to run the race in intervals.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    I agree on taking it slow at first then break out into a run, then slow it down at the end. I'm thinking about joining my school team for the Susan G Komen run for the cure on Sunday..

Mine is for a good cause too. It's for the local food bank. And JennaMarie222, thank you for the encouragement.
  • imastarkidder
    Options
    I haven't run any races lately, but I used to do it a lot and Paul100 is correct. Slow down and just make the miles. I promise if you can do 2 miles nonstop, you can do 3 if you pace yourself. Good luck!! I know you can do it.