• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Sit-Ups-Have-Never-Looked-So-Good.gif

Can't. Stop. Watching.
  • texerus
    texerus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It seems there is a mixed bag of feelings on this subject. There are many ways to tone the mid-sections without the need for sit-ups. For me, there is no other substitute since I have to conform to Army standards in the Army National Guard to keep promotional, educational, and job in the NG.

I personally think it is more of an endurance exercise for the service. If you are young and in shape it should be no problem, but there are other substitutes since the wrong form and other underlying problems can make them difficult and problematic.

Only my opinion.
  • benum21121
    Options
    It seems there is a mixed bag of feelings on this subject. There are many ways to tone the mid-sections without the need for sit-ups. For me, there is no other substitute since I have to conform to Army standards in the Army National Guard to keep promotional, educational, and job in the NG.

I personally think it is more of an endurance exercise for the service. If you are young and in shape it should be no problem, but there are other substitutes since the wrong form and other underlying problems can make them difficult and problematic.

Only my opinion.

Well said, sir. I am of the same opinion- I do them because the apply to my profession, and they're a requirement for moving forward.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Unless your form is off then I can't see how this exercise is harmful?

Sit ups on a gym ball to strengthen my abs and core gave me a breakthrough in managing a damaged back and allowed me to progress to much more advanced exercises (planks, weighted sit ups, twisting, leg raises, dumbbell side bends.....).

yeah, on a gym ball.

but i see people at the gym, laying on their back, doing sit ups with everything but their abs. they use their head, neck, shoulders, arms. their abs are the last muscle to engage.

Very true!
    BTW - I find holding a dumbell on upper chest much better than behind the head to avoid putting force through my neck.

That's how I do my decline crunches - DB on chest. I just have to be careful to not start the movement with my arms pulling on the DB.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

You win.

/thread
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Can't. Stop. Watching.

sup??

bag_sit_ups_zps9746fc43.gif
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Pretty much a waste of time.

What are you looking to accomplish in doing them?

I'm really looking to strengthen my core and maybe get a little more definition there. My personal trainer recommended them but another in the gym reckoned they were no good.

Planks would definitely strengthen you core as well as add some definition. I do them occasionally, but more for my running form .

I personally think squats(all compound exercises really) benefit the abs for strength.

For definition a low bf% is the key to seeing them initially, of course nothing wrong with doing some work beforehand.

You can check out my pics if you like and get an idea of basically compounds did for me the last 8-9 months. I'm pretty old, but have a some visible abs.
  • jimmmer
    Options

Can't. Stop. Watching.

sup??

bag_sit_ups_zps9746fc43.gif

Sorry dude,

yours is hypnotic and all - I just find it lacks a certain something the one above has...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

2) Wendler is talking to people who are already Intermediate lifters and have a certain baseline of lifting under their belt. I wouldn't advise them for untrained individuals or beginners.

Well the President made us do them for his test in gym class! No fair.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options

This is on the list of weird turn-ons along with the woman who crushed a watermelon with her thighs.
  • jimmmer
    Options

2) Wendler is talking to people who are already Intermediate lifters and have a certain baseline of lifting under their belt. I wouldn't advise them for untrained individuals or beginners.

Politicians, eh?

Maggie Thatcher never made me do anything like that when I were a lad.... but she did take away free school milk, I seem to remember?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Politicians, eh?

Maggie Thatcher never made me do anything like that when I were a lad.... but she did take away free school milk, I seem to remember?

Yeah, we had the Presidential fitness tests every year. Had to run a mile, do pullups, sit ups, etc.... I dreaded that day every year.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I have had so much conflicting information on sit ups that I honestly don't know whether they are beneficial or harmful, please can someone enlighten me.

Also - if they are harmful, what is a better alternative?

There is never anything harmful about wanting a stronger core. Your core helps support your back and your body. There are a lot of things you use your core for so again, wanting a stronger core isn't a bad thing.

I do a variety of crunches, planks etc. every other day.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I think the key here is the OP question. She is asking about sit ups. Lots of people are referencing crunches. I also believe a lot of people now days think crunches are sit ups. There is a big difference. Pretty much every person I talk to in the fitness industry says sit ups are now frowned upon because it is so easy to cause injury.

As others have posted, for strengthening core, compound lifts and planks are the best form of exercise. Also, as others have said, to get definition you need to have less body fat percentage and that is done in the kitchen, not in the gym.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Politicians, eh?

Yeah, we had the Presidential fitness tests every year. Had to run a mile, do pullups, sit ups, etc.... I dreaded that day every year.

Which lucky president got the day from hell named after them? I'm not convinced the last two would have been able to do either situps OR pullups!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Politicians, eh?

Which lucky president got the day from hell named after them? I'm not convinced the last two would have been able to do either situps OR pullups!

Initiated under a Ford program, AFAIK
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

I will continue with sit ups - but will ensure that I engage my core. I will also add in the plank (which I loathe).
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Sit-ups with the intention to "tone" your belly and "spot reduce" fat = bad/pointless.
    Sit-ups with the intention to strengthen your core through a progressive dynamic movement = good.

Just try not to do them off the floor, could hurt your tailbone iirc
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I think they're good if you add some weight to them. I like doing with a weight behind my head either on the floor or a decline bench. If you do them weighted and you don't feel them working your abs then you're doing something wrong.
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think they're good if you add some weight to them. I like doing with a weight behind my head either on the floor or a decline bench. If you do them weighted and you don't feel them working your abs then you're doing something wrong.

I was trying them weighted (a 5lb weight across my chest) and did feel it in my abs and rest of my core.

I am doing them on a mat as I feel sure I will fall off a Swiss ball!