Over on sugar!

Options
Hey, new to this so hope I'm posting in correct place...

So, just noticed that I'm way over on sugars (already at -13) thanks to a glass of grapefruit juice and an orange! How detrimental is it?

Tia

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    If you don't have to limit sugar due to any medical issue, ignore it.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice is notorious for being high in sugar, and you rarely get the fibre and satiety you would get from eating that particular fruit either, so yeah they're pretty bad.
  • DR2501
    Options

Interesting - I notice the biggest differences in diet when I cut sugar, so I'd be interested to know why you say that? In general, sugar is the enemy, not fat when trying to lose weight as if you don't burn it off as quick energy then its just empy calories that get stored.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Natural sugar isn't a big deal, it's actually good for you so I wouldn't let it bother you.
  • DR2501
    Options
    Yes fructose isn't so bad, but you are still drinking your calories. I assume there was no ADDED sugar in the juice?
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options

Interesting - I notice the biggest differences in diet when I cut sugar, so I'd be interested to know why you say that? In general, sugar is the enemy, not fat when trying to lose weight as if you don't burn it off as quick energy then its just empy calories that get stored.

I'm sorry, I don't quite get the essence of that sentence.

What do you mean by "biggest differences"? Regarding weight loss?

Neither of them should be called "enemy", 'cause they're simply not.
  • blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I read on here that the MFP target for sugar is based on the recommendations for added sugar but the nutrition labels on most products only give the total amount of sugar which means that the sugar target is unrealistically low. I've just ignored it and concentrate on calories and the 3 macronutrients, carbs, fats and proteins. If you eat a reasonably healthy, balanced diet then the rest should work itself out.
  • DR2501
    Options
    Sorry, I meant as in if I lower my sugar intake, I lose weight. To me, as I want to lose weight, excess sugar is the enemy as it inhibits my ability to do this. I'm genuinely interested in your rationale for your statement though?
  • D782
    D782 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also find the exact same thing, and its mainly because I eat lots of fresh fruit. Also even some vegetables contain sugar as does milk, so your never going to win! Im at a point now where I ignore the sugar suggestion, as long as Im mainly consuming healthy sugars then Im not concerned.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    Sorry, I meant as in if I lower my sugar intake, I lose weight. To me, as I want to lose weight, excess sugar is the enemy as it inhibits my ability to do this. I'm genuinely interested in your rationale for your statement though?

Your sugar intake simply has no effect on your weight loss. You lose if you burn more calories than you eat. Sugar is a carbohydrate. Hit your carb goal and you're fine.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I am also always over on sugar. I don't like artificial sweetener. The only think I drink besides water is coffee in the morning, and that puts me over. Hasn't stopped my weight loss. Watch you calories, and macros, and you should be fine.
  • ElusivePete
    ElusivePete Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I go over on sugar all the time. It doesn't really matter though if you're not diabetic or whatever. Sticking within your calories is the most important thing.

Personally, I changed my diary settings to track saturated fat instead of sugar, as that seems much more significant from a long-term health perspective.
  • lianewyre
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all so much, wasn't really expecting one reply let alone all this!...

I had the juice left over because my friend convinced me to do a 'juice diet' with her :/ I didn't do it in the end and joined here; I'd always heard that grapefruit was good and read this this morning too (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1202107/Why-green-tea-grapefruit-juice-help-burn-fat.html)
  • DR2501
    Options

Your sugar intake simply has no effect on your weight loss. You lose if you burn more calories than you eat. Sugar is a carbohydrate. Hit your carb goal and you're fine.

Thanks. Yeah calories in v calories out is always going to be the important factor. What I mean is if I drop my sugar calories in favour of something more filling/beneficial, I lose weight because I don't overeat. I find that sugar makes me hungrier and does nothing to fill me up.

Anyway, moot point because as you say, calories in v calories out is key :)
  • TheCredibleHuIk
    TheCredibleHuIk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    drop_it_like_a_squat is 100% correct.

BOOM BABY!