runner noob

Options
I have never been a good runner. I was forced to participate on a track team in high school and was taught the proper form. I always hated it. Ask me to swim the Atlantic and Id be ok with it. Run down the street? nopy nope.

Back at my heaviest (298lbs) I could barley walk. I tried running a couple of time( mostly chasing someone) and my knees would just crumple and my ankles would have stabbing pain in them after about 3 steps. Granted I have had a plethora of severe ankle injuries in my life. I have been doing everything I can to strength my knees and ankles.

I want to run. I really do. I have been researching how to start running online, and it says start slow, warm up with walking, and the basics.

But I have a few issues I cant seam to get a answer for.

I can jog a bit, and my ankles still give me trouble. I am honestly scared of hurting my ankles. I dont know how to keep them safe without wrapping them up but that tends to hurts my feet.

Another issue is, I have huge breasts. They are fully wrangled to in 2 tight sports bras just to work out. But when I run they try to go wild. It hurts. A lot. Not sure what to do about that.

I would appreciate any advice. Have a glorious day:flowerforyou:

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and ask for a shoe fitting with a gait analysis.

Not everyone is made for running. You might just be one of them. Good luck!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted at a running store. You will probably need the proper stability shoes while starting out, but a reputable store will be able to help you out.

Start slow. Slower. Slllooooooooow. Even if running feels as slow as walking, go slow enough that you can carry on a conversation.

Couch to 5k might be a good program for you.

And keep in mind that if you hate running, you don't have to run. Find something that you like and that you can stick to.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    There are good running bras out there for every body. Look around, try on LOTS of them, jump up and down in the changing room. There are some brands that will lock those girls up tight - no bounce, and you'll still be able to breathe :laugh: Enell is a brand that is recommended frequently for the well-endowed. For the average endowed (like me), Lululemon makes a great one.

Doubling up isn't necessary. The right bra will be enough with just one.

When I first started running, I was able to actually walk faster. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Speed will come naturally on it's own. Oh, and strength training (I only do body-weight strength training) helped strengthen all the stabilizing muscles in my legs, which took a lot of pressure off my weak knees.
  • connieannw
    connieannw Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    SoundRunner in Branford or Madison will fit you for shoes. Once you're fitted you can always go online and find the shoes cheaper than at SoundRunner.

Kohl's has Lily of France sports bras they really keep you held down tight but I found you have to go a size smaller than usual for running.

There are many people on here who walk and walk and walk because they can't run either and they have managed to lose the weight that way without stressing their joints. Remember it's not what you do it's just that you DO.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    slow down.

Get proper shoes- if you have bad ankles- you might consider transitioning to a minimalist shoe- the super comfie 'absorbing' ones give you a very high ledge to roll over given the opportunity.. not saying you can't roll in a minimalist shoe- but for me they are absurdly more stable.

SLOW DOWN

Invest in some good bra's- like REALLY good bra's.

Slow down.

do a lot of walking- then add some interval jogging

slow down

practice

slow down

keep at it.

you may WANT to run- but find it doesn't fit your lifestyle. I like the idea of running- but the reality is.. it's not something I find myself inspired to do- as much as I like it... I don't want to do it- so guess what- you don't HAVE TO.

keep at it for a few months and if you feel it's not your thing- switch to something else- that's totally okay too.
  • wildirishrose162
    wildirishrose162 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    People always suggest couch to 5k which I find is a great program but not a great program for everyone. Another option to look into is Jeff Galloway for a run/walk program. It might help you ease into it.

I agree with the people who suggested proper shoes, that has made all the difference in the world to me. I can't help much with the sports bras because well... I probably could go running in a push up bra and be fine.

I also tell everyone who has ankle problems that I had a bad sprained ankle where I was in an air cast for a month and on very limited exercise for the next two months. I got some exercises from my doctor to help get my ankle strength back to where it used to be. It helped so much.