Share your best SIMPLE but GOOD recipies

Options
I just made the best dinner since I've started this program. Shrimp with Orzo with Cherry Tomatoes and Romano Cheese. It's a cooking light recipe and delicious!! 414 calories per 1.25 cup serving which is more than enough.

I never knew eating well could be so good and not much more difficult.

So what are some of your SIMPLE recipes that don't feel like "diet" food?

Replies

• dgeorgiadis
    dgeorgiadis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hello, I make spaghetti squash and sub it in for pasta noodles. It is amazingly versatile and strong, almost like a noodle. Then I use fresh veggies, chicken, tomato sauce whatever you would use in a regular pasta dish. You can get really creative and it is sooooo low in calories compared to regular noodles.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Just made a great stew-type meal. Ingredients for one serving:

1 cup frozen green peas
    1 cup frozen vegetables (you can use various ones)
    1/4 soup cube (you can use various ones)
    2.5 ozs beef stew meat, cut in small pieces
    2 ozs pearled barley

The best part is how simple it is to make. Preparation:

Chuck the first four ingredients in a pan (don't bother defreezing)
    Cover with water
    Bring to a boil on high heat
    Keep boiling on medium-high until some of the water has evaporated (10-15 mins)
    Add barley
    Keep boiling on medium-high until most of the water has evaporated (10-15 mins)
    Let it sit in the plate for a bit until the barley absorbs most of the water

400-500 calories depending on the vegetables used and the barley brand, plenty of vitamins, fiber and protein and very cheap.

ETA: Some fresh dill would be awesome in this, but it takes a long time to chop...
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been making this chicken parmesan recipe, sometimes without sauce and cheese.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Pound out as much boneless, skinless chicken breast as you want (I like it pretty thin).

Brush with a little butter and then roll in Italian bread crumbs.

Bake 20 mins, then flip pieces over and bake 5 more minutes.

Put spaghetti sauce and mozzerella cheese on each and bake 5 more minutes.

The chicken comes out so perfectly cooked and juicy. I've made it many times in the past few weeks. I even made it and cut it up on a salad. Super easy.

Another one I like is olive oil, minced garlic and pasta, and/or chicken. So easy. Made it last night and it was very flavorful. I salted and peppered the chicken before putting it in the pan. Did the pasta separately.

I don't cook much, so these easy recipes really help!
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just made a great stew-type meal. Ingredients for one serving:

1 cup frozen green peas
    1 cup frozen vegetables (you can use various ones)
    1/4 soup cube (you can use various ones)
    2.5 ozs beef stew meat, cut in small pieces
    2 ozs pearled barley

The best part is how simple it is to make. Preparation:

Chuck the first four ingredients in a pan (don't bother defreezing)
    Cover with water
    Bring to a boil on high heat
    Keep boiling on medium-high until some of the water has evaporated (10-15 mins)
    Add barley
    Keep boiling on medium-high until most of the water has evaporated (10-15 mins)
    Let it sit in the plate for a bit until the barley absorbs most of the water

400-500 calories depending on the vegetables used and the barley brand, plenty of vitamins, fiber and protein and very cheap.

ETA: Some fresh dill would be awesome in this, but it takes a long time to chop...

This sounds really good! I'll have to try it! Thanks!
  • dqbound
    Options
    Wow thank you. They all sound great!! I made Mac n Cheese with ham. Not exactly "diet" but I had the calories so I used them.
  • 2bassets
    2bassets Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I just made the best dinner since I've started this program. Shrimp with Orzo with Cherry Tomatoes and Romano Cheese. It's a cooking light recipe and delicious!! 414 calories per 1.25 cup serving which is more than enough.

I never knew eating well could be so good and not much more difficult.

So what are some of your SIMPLE recipes that don't feel like "diet" food?

I would love to have this recipe! Sounds delicious!
  • asianmonkie
    Options
    I can't cook but this is one thing I can make

Chopped cabbage
    Chopped carrots
    Chopped celery
    Sausage chunks

Throw it all in a pot with a little bit of water, salt, and pepper. Steam it and eat. Ta dah! I'm so lazy. It doesn't feel like diet food to me because of the yummy sausage.
  • piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    A nice little lunch snack I make:

1 rivita - sliced tomato & grated low fat cheese on top - grilled.
    Yummy
  • flywithgeorge
    flywithgeorge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Pour Chicken Noodle Soup in a glass casserole dish... Using Bisquick, following instructions for drop biscuits... put a couple of biscuits in the soup and put in oven until brown... simple and really tasty!
  • HollyBBC
    Options
    This is a recipe for healthy cookies. I can't eat flour, soy, or dairy, so these cookies seem like they would be good. I haven't made them yet, but they are healthy.

No Flour or Sugar

3 Mashed bananas
    1/3 cup apple sauce
    2 cups of oats
    1/4 cup of almond milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes
  • alywei37
    Options
    This is a recipe for healthy cookies. I can't eat flour, soy, or dairy, so these cookies seem like they would be good. I haven't made them yet, but they are healthy.

No Flour or Sugar

3 Mashed bananas
    1/3 cup apple sauce
    2 cups of oats
    1/4 cup of almond milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes

These are delish but the banana flavor gets a bit ho hum after a while...i like to add a bit of pumpkin puree or dried fruit and a couple chocolate chips or cocoa.
  • PSlosing29
    PSlosing29 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    1 Chicken breast
    1/2 cup Spinach
    Sliced Red Onion
    Gouda Cheese
    Whole wheat Hamburger bun

Pan fry/bake/grill chicken breast, top with onion, then cheese, then spinach. Place on bun. Simple and tastes amazing. I am a big fan of condiments on my burgers but this is the only one I don't add any to, it has enough flavors as is.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Stuffed tilapia rolls:

Season tilapia filets (or other thin filet of choice) with s+p/old bay seasoning
    Roll and stuff filets with a chopped mushroom/spinach/shallot mix (I pan fry them with garlic and EVOO/spray first), place seam-side down on a sprayed baking sheet
    Top each roll with garlic fire roasted diced tomatoes (canned, or use fresh diced Roma with herbs)
    Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes

Good protein, great taste and great presentation!
  • dgeorgiadis
    dgeorgiadis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Stuffed tilapia rolls:

Season tilapia filets (or other thin filet of choice) with s+p/old bay seasoning
    Roll and stuff filets with a chopped mushroom/spinach/shallot mix (I pan fry them with garlic and EVOO/spray first), place seam-side down on a sprayed baking sheet
    Top each roll with garlic fire roasted diced tomatoes (canned, or use fresh diced Roma with herbs)
    Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes

Good protein, great taste and great presentation!
    That sounds amazing. Going to try it!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    One head of lettuce-iceberg
    One head of cabbage-green

wash and shred.

place in bowl and mix with lemon juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Easy and yummy crispy delicious. IDK why I love this so much but it's so slurpy delicious with the lemon and crispy watery crunchy and my mouth is watering just thinking about it. And it's so simple.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My favorite lately is to make lentil soup with veggies, lentils, and at the end to add about a tbsp of butter. The soup itself makes about 8 servings, so 1 tbsp split across the whole thing isn't much, but it tastes to decadent and delicious.

I make mostly this one. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/turkish-red-lentil-soup

Except that I use whole cumin and mustard seeds, and cook them in the butter. Indian ghee works best, but regular butter works as well. I also add garlic and lots of veggies - carrots, peppers, zucchini. Sometimes I add a touch of cinnamon, ginger and/or garam masala. I add about twice as many vegetables as dried lentils. I serve this at dinner parties and ALWAYS get compliments on it.

My other favorite is to take a banana and mush it up into low fat yogurt. If I have the calories I add a bit of nutella or other chocolatey thing. Mmmmmm.
  • alexpark0ur
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50iy6fmgUFQ

lots of new videos on the way too
  • tx_mom72
    Options
    Bumping for quick & easy!
  • MELLY319
    MELLY319 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    BUMP ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD RECIPES