Ummm is this normal?

Options
I been noticing that i am losing my hair like CRAZY!! i have very thick hair and i usually always am shedding hair when i shower and stuff, however i am noticing it's a TON now since i been losing weight and such,. can losing weight cause you to shed hair a lot?

i really don't know if it's relevant to losing weight or not but it's got me curious :huh:

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yeah, it depends on your diet...you must be lacking something. Usually people with eating disorders lose their hair too...what about the color of your skin, or nails? are they discolored? or do you look like you have super bad bags under your eyes? that's a good sign of deficiency...or maybe it's the type of shampoo you use, the cheaper the shampoo the worse it is...i know ladies don't wnat to hear this, but I read that herbal essence causes dramatic hair loss, and so does the Dove shampoo
  • iamstronger247
    Options
    Thanks! my nails are not discolored and i dont have bags under my eyes.. i heard the same thing about that shampoo b4 too. i use tresseme and that seems to not be the issue.. hmmm idk why i am sheddin so much lol
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Losing hair is a good sign of deficiency, including thyroid issue. I had the same issue a few months ago and read that by cutting calories you can force yourself into slow metabolism/slow your thyroid down. I started eating more and my hair hasn't fallen out so much.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Just checked your profile. You have a baby under 1 year old. When you are pregnant you get extra lovely lustrous hair from hormones and vitamins. When your body is getting over that hormone and vitamin rush, your new mane falls out. I'm not saying it's not from diet but I'm pointing out this is a VERY normal occurrence after kids.
  • firstcampgirl
    Options
    I agree, I bet it is post-pregnancy hair loss. I had it BAD after my kids and it didn't happen for several months so that could be it. :)
  • Utahbeth
    Options
    Yes, I experienced the same thing after Amelia was born and she started weening herself from nursing. Also it can happen after you stop using birth control as well. It's just all the hair you 'didn't' shed while pregnant. Don't worry, you're not going to go bald. :)
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Just checked your profile. You have a baby under 1 year old. When you are pregnant you get extra lovely lustrous hair from hormones and vitamins. When your body is getting over that hormone and vitamin rush, your new mane falls out. I'm not saying it's not from diet but I'm pointing out this is a VERY normal occurrence after kids.

I totally agree with this post!! Same thing happened to me. I was losing hair by the handfuls and thought I was going bald.
    Come to find out its normal and the hair you're losing is just extra hair that you grew while pregnant.

Dani
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Post Prego OR you need a vitamin.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough fat, but also see your doctor if it continues.
  • DevonC10
    Options
    I would recommend taking vitamins if the hair loss continues... also its better for you over all. You may want to consider changing shampoos though... to get your thick hair back I would recommend Moroccan Oil... wonderful stuff!
  • iamstronger247
    Options
    ya know i never even thought about that haha!!! that's prob the reason too!!! :):)
  • gambitsgurl
    Options
    Now someone has to tell her her tits and butt are going to fall off and all that pregnancy stupidity doesn't go away. Cause I'm not telling her. I had to tell her that her hair was falling out.
  • majikmeg
    Options
    I had the same problem and went to the doctor to get my thyroid checked, the doc said that low levels of iron can also cause hair loss.
  • sauntryk
    sauntryk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    About a year after I had my daughter I lost a good chunk of hair...It scared the crap out of me,.. it did stop after i lost close to 30% but it never grew back....fortunately I had enough hair that noone notices....if you are under the age 35, there's a birth control called Diane 35 and it helps stop hair loss. My sister in law had the exact problem and so that's what her doctor recommended, then she passed on the information to me... very grateful I didn't want to lose anymore...and I will not be having anymore children!!
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I had a look at your diary, and assuming its accurate, then you are definitely experiencing deficiencies in many areas. You regularly are way way way under the calorie minimum which is 1200 to be healthy. So that makes sense to me that your hair is falling out. (I've known many people who had this happen to them when they were on extremely restrictive diets)

I recommend that you talk to your doctor about what is happening and how you are feeling and get recommendations from him/her about what is an appropriate diet plan for you based on your health and your lifestyle needs.

Also, not to scare you but hair loss can be a sign of a bigger health problem - not just diet related, which is another good reason for you to get it checked out by your doctor.
  • iamstronger247
    Options
    Now someone has to tell her her tits and butt are going to fall off and all that pregnancy stupidity doesn't go away. Cause I'm not telling her. I had to tell her that her hair was falling out.

huh?
  • lovelylinz
    Options
    whats a good shampoo?? =/ i feel like ive been losing more hair too...
  • gambitsgurl
    Options

huh?

lmao. breast feeding and post pregnancy weight gain xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

<3
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Sad but true!!!
  • lesleybritton
    Options
    I experienced this in my early 20's with a significant weight gain. My doctor explained it as a "hormonal change". So, if you've recenlty had a baby I think that makes lots of sense.

Also, when I went off of BCPs my hair got thicker.

Apparenlty, hormones have a big affect on our hair!!!