Running then Lifting OR Lifting then Running?

Options
2»

Replies

• itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion: lifting first. Allows you to focus on your form while you're still feeling fairly fresh, cardio just doesn't require that much mental attention.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    How true it is but on bodybuilding.com I read to do lifting first and cardio after. I have tried it both ways and it sucks both ways but I like the strength training more than cardio so I try to always get it in first!

IMO you should always do heavy cardio on off days from lifting..

I have no desire to lift for over an hour and then run three miles...ughhhh
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Alternate between which you start with so your body doesn't get set in a routine. Some majorly soft people telling you not to do both. DO IT!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    If I plan to lift and run on the same day, I usually do one in the morning and the other one after work. That way I can feel like I am giving my best effort for each. Which one I do first depends mostly on the weather and my schedule.
  • RawMomma10
    RawMomma10 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I did a program where the coach had us do fasted cardio.... 3-5 miles... Then protein drink then weights..... Then post workout protein after weights.... I did it for a few weeks and then switched it up as I was getting worn out lol...
  • geeberfever
    geeberfever Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I usually lift a couple days a week and on days I'm planning a lift, I don't do the full cardio. I do a warm up jog (5mins or so) or sometimes use the rowing machine and then lift. It's good to get the blood flowing before you lift!!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Does it matter the order of your exercise. I read an article that said you should do cardio before you lift because it allows you to lift while your heart rate is already up. My issue is I have tried lifting after I run, and I am typically so worn out and out of breath from my cardio that I can only get in like 5min of lifting before I feel like I am going to pass out

Whichever one is the focus of your training, that's the one you do first. If you are a runner who lifts, run first. If you are a lifter who run, lift first.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Strength training should always be done first after a light warmup. You can _not_ begin a strength training regimen with muscles that are already fatigued. They must be fresh.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    do them at the same time , if you dare!
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    this all depends on your goal , if you are lifting for power and you want to gain power and size then lift first. if you are looking to cut up and keep your heart rate elevated but not lift so heavy then cardio first..
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It's up to you really and I think best to go by how your body feels.

For me, I alternate my running and lifting days. I always start off with a five minute warm up on my lifting days. I'll walk for three minutes on a incline and then run two minutes.

One additional thing I do on the days I lift is break up my lifts into circuits and run two minutes in between just to keep my heart rate up.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I don't cardio and lift on the same days. I split them up so that I can focus hard on both and not have one affect the other so much.

Exactly. I couldn't imagine doing a cardio session than lifting heavy afterwards to my full potential.

On weekends I sometimes lift early AM than do cardio late PM, but prefer to do them on separate days if possible.