How many times did you try?

Options
How many times did you try before it finally "clicked" and you were able to see results?

Personally, I've been trying since I was 13 years old to lose weight. My losses/gains resulted in me maintaining my weight for decades. I've lost count on how many times it took for it to actually be sustainable, and honestly, I'm still not sure I'm quite "there," yet, since I have more to lose after hitting my current weight loss goal.

Anyway, I figure it's easy to forget where we came from, so I'd like to know the truth of where you started and how many times it took you to lose weight/get fit and maintain it, for an extended period of time?

Replies

• Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. A whole lot! I would always have good success for a few months, then get discouraged or feel too restricted and throw in the towel. As so many of us did/do, I'd gain back everything I lost plus more.

This time I found a plan that worked for me, where I didn't feel deprived, and it just sort of clicked. I am now 30 pounds below my original goal, and so happy. I've been maintaining for nearly a year, and I think I can do it for the rest of my life. It's an amazing feeling!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Once and I'm now in maintenance. It was either lose the weight or become a T2, a disease that killed one relative of mine and is currently killing another. Saw where I was going and decided to say screw that and changed course. I had NO idea what I was doing-woke up on a Wednesday morning last October, the day after talking to my dr. about my glucose number, and spent the day googling. My weight loss plan was a hodgepodge of different plans but it worked and here I am today, in maintenance with a normal fasting glucose number :smile:
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know if I ever make it through any maintenance phases! My life has pretty much always been spent gaining or losing. :ohwell:
  • kcb0308
    kcb0308 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been trying most "fad" type diet plans since the age of 16, so about 10 years. I have never lost more than 20lbs on one of these and typically start wavering anywhere from 3-6 weeks in. The closest I came was about a year ago, I started P90x, was doing great and feeling awesome... Then my wife and I had our second child, and my workout routine and eating good came to a crashing halt.

This time around I feel great, and have lots of positive energy. I'm feeling good about it.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Once and I'm now in maintenance. It was either lose the weight or become a T2, a disease that killed one relative of mine and is currently killing another. Saw where I was going and decided to say screw that and changed course. I had NO idea what I was doing-woke up on a Wednesday morning last October, the day after talking to my dr. about my glucose number, and spent the day googling. My weight loss plan was a hodgepodge of different plans but it worked and here I am today, in maintenance with a normal fasting glucose number :smile:

Taken from your profile page:

"95% of us will FAIL at long term weigh loss success. I WILL Succeed at this and I WILL be part of the 5% that beats the odds. Failure is NOT an option.

I've lost over 50lbs since October, 2012 and I'm now in maintenance"

You are the 5% that you quoted. Congratulations!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Actually I did it on my first try....but it took me years of making excuses to get to this point.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Ok, well. I think it's great that people did it on their first try. Obviously, you are the exception and not the rule. BUT, it's good to see that it CAN happen!
  • shancheer24
    shancheer24 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For the last 18 months i struggled on and off several times to really lose the weight from my 3rd pregnancy. Prior to this pregnancy the weight always just fell off and i didnt have to try very hard. I want to say i did 3 " diets and working out" times before it finally clicked in September of this year and the weight actually started to come off.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Taken from your profile page:

"95% of us will FAIL at long term weigh loss success. I WILL Succeed at this and I WILL be part of the 5% that beats the odds. Failure is NOT an option.

I've lost over 50lbs since October, 2012 and I'm now in maintenance"

You are the 5% that you quoted. Congratulations!

So far-I've got about 30 years of maintenance to go before I can call total success-after I hit 75 I'm letting myself go :laugh:
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    While I was plump at school, I never suffered from serious overweight until quite recently, late thirties basically after some health issues and a series of deaths and I got overwhelmed. I still don't even know 'how' I got so fat, well I do when I think about it of course. Sounds crazy but obviously I was overeating without even being really conscious of what I was doing. It doesn't help that my man has had a really hard physical job for the past several years where he burns a LOT of calories every day and as a consequence he has a big appetite to match, while I have a mainly sedentary lifestyle, and yet I would still serve us the same size meals without thinking about it!
    I know, Doh!!! :D

How many times did I try? To be honest this is the first time I've genuinely 'tried' all other attempts lasted no more than a couple of days, I just wasn't motivated to be bothered enough to try. It feels different this time. And the tracker is super useful for helping me control those portion sizes and ensuring I stay accountable - to me. I really want this to work this time and I believe it will.

ETA: I should probably add that I've been on two former diets. Once at age eighteen, to lose my 'puppy fat'. I got fit and healthy within a couple of months and didn't look back - until some years later and I gained a couple of stone after an injury, I lost that weight fairly quickly too. I'd like to think I can do it again this time, though I am aware that at my current age and fitness it won't be as fast or easy as it was when I was younger and had a lot less weight to lose.
  • KatrinaGrey
    KatrinaGrey Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Having been relatively thin until about 4 years ago, i've struggled constantly over the past 4 years. Having medical issues surface recently has really made it click for me this time. I'm still struggling but I know what I need to do.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    This is my second try. Or third depending on if my pregnancy hiatus counts as a restart, which now that I think about it, I probably should...so third time is the charm!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    ETA: I should probably add that I've been on two former diets.

So, this is your 3rd try. I know what you mean, though. I didn't actually try on some of my attempts, either.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    This is my second go, the first time I managed to get down to 13 6" but ended up having my appendix out so that stopped my for a few months, If it was for that I might have been at my goal, however my goals have changed since I started my first time, Im aiming for a heavier weight but lifting more to change my composition, I already look better now at 14 6" all because of lifting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Once....I dropped 40 Lbs and doing everything in my power to maintain that for the past 7 months or so. So far so good...actually I've put on a few Lbs in the past 7 months, but my BF has decreased. Not so worried about my weight as I am my BF and composition.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    17years old - 199 (I am 5' 10" so I still looked thin)
    20- 325
    27- 270
    30- 380
    32-219
    42-345 (pregnant)
    43-326
    45- 263 on my way down to 219 again...FOR. THE. LAST. TIME
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Every time I'm made a sustained effort to lose weight, I've done so. I've also maintained my results for several years after each effort. I even lost a ton of weight by accident one time, just because I was busy and depressed. Best diet ever. :smokin:

And each time I regained weight, I never gained back all of it. My all-time high adult weight was in 1993, when I was a soda-drinkin' desk jockey. Now I'm a diet soda-drinkin' desk jockey, and it's made a huge difference in my weight over the years. I had another high water mark in early 2002, but it was about 10 pounds less than my 1993 weight. And this last summer, my weight had crept up high again, but it was still 10 pounds less than my 2002 spike. Now I'm back at my goal weight, the same weight I had been all through high school. :drinker:

I think I have the hang of this now, I don't think I'll be spiking up again, not very much anyway. :bigsmile:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Once if the requirement is that you intend to lose weight.

Twice if it counts that I changed my diet solely for athletic performance (weight loss was a side effect).

Three times if it counts that I increased my activity levels tremendously, but my diet didn't really change and I wasn't trying to lose.

FWIW, I think it's easier to succeed for those of us who had generally decent eating habits for most of our lives. I gained weight in the last couple of years because more restaurants + not consciously limiting my portions ever + desk job = fat gain. It wasn't too hard to reverse that process, just hard to get to the point I decided I needed to do it.
  • micherie1969
    Options
    Care to share what worked for you?
  • micherie1969
    Options
    I have no idea. A whole lot! I would always have good success for a few months, then get discouraged or feel too restricted and throw in the towel. As so many of us did/do, I'd gain back everything I lost plus more.

This time I found a plan that worked for me, where I didn't feel deprived, and it just sort of clicked. I am now 30 pounds below my original goal, and so happy. I've been maintaining for nearly a year, and I think I can do it for the rest of my life. It's an amazing feeling!

Care to share what worked for you?