Insanity vs P90X

Options
Hi guys, I'm looking for some opinions from those of you who are more knowledgable about these programs. I want to start either Insanity or P90X probably towards the beginning of February. Right now I have another week and a half with the 30 Day Shred, taking a few days off when I go home for Christmas, then starting Ripped in 30. I'm trying to plan in advance just so I have something to keep me motivated but also because I need to save some money for these expensive programs!

Anyway, I'm interested in opinions from anyone who's done either of these programs as to which you think was more effective and which would be best for me. Right now I'm 184.5 lbs and trying to get to 150 by the beginning of the summer. I'm 5'4" and have just started exercising regularly with the 30 Day Shred. Let me know if there's any other information I can provide that would be helpful, I'm new at this. :) and thanks in advance.

Replies

• DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'd say Insanity for the shorter workouts (45-60 mins vs 90 mins), but then I'm biased since I've completed it!

Oh and Insanity is free if you search online - takes 2 seconds of googling to find the videos for free :)
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I didn't realize they were 90 minutes workouts. I thought the "90" was because of the 90 days, haha. Hmm yeah it may be hard for me to commit to that.

Thanks for the info!
  • jallforme3
    jallforme3 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do love the P90x Plyometric workouts--you could always combine the programs. On days you have less time, do Insanity! And then once a week add in P90x for a warm up.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I think the 90 does refer to days you're right, and not all the workouts last 90 minutes but some do and that put me off 'cos I like to commit properly and I wouldn't be able to do that.

P90x3 comes out next week though - its a new one where the workouts last 30 minutes if you like the sound of P90x? You'd have to buy it though as it won't be online for a while...
  • rjdunn87
    Options
    I think the 90 does refer to days you're right, and not all the workouts last 90 minutes but some do and that put me off 'cos I like to commit properly and I wouldn't be able to do that.

P90x3 comes out next week though - its a new one where the workouts last 30 minutes if you like the sound of P90x? You'd have to buy it though as it won't be online for a while...

Cool, I'll look into that
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    One is a program that revolves primarily around strength training.

The other is a program that is almost nothing but cardio.

No offense, but if you're not yet educated enough about which of these two things will get you closer to your goal you shouldn't yet be looking into anything that labels itself as being for advanced people.

Just FYI risk for injury with P90X is a lot lower.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Dec 10 P90x3 comes out... its a 90 day program and the workouts are only 30 minutes. Its looks like a fusion of insanity/T25 and the original P90x. I could never stick with P90X.. dont like heavy cardio in insanity adn T25 so I'm looking forward to P90X3 some cardio, more lifiting and only 30 minutes/day.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Neither - RushFit.

It is similar to P90X in that it incorporates weight training, but it is only 45 minutes (under an hour, including warmups and cool-downs).

If you're really committed to Insanity or P90X, though, go with P90X.
  • meskew87
    meskew87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have not done p90x but I loved Insanity. You do run a risk for injury though if you don't know what you are doing and its really not a great workout if you consider yourself a beginner. However I don't think I would probably consider p90x for a beginner either.

Have you looked in to T25? My results haven't been as impressive as they were with Insanity, but its also nowhere near as difficult. I find it very easy to commit to 25 minutes a day and there is a modifier in all of the workouts (in the Alpha and Beta series anyway) so you can adjust it to your skill level.
  • rjdunn87
    Options
    I have not done p90x but I loved Insanity. You do run a risk for injury though if you don't know what you are doing and its really not a great workout if you consider yourself a beginner. However I don't think I would probably consider p90x for a beginner either.

Have you looked in to T25? My results haven't been as impressive as they were with Insanity, but its also nowhere near as difficult. I find it very easy to commit to 25 minutes a day and there is a modifier in all of the workouts (in the Alpha and Beta series anyway) so you can adjust it to your skill level.

I think right now I would consider myself a beginner, but certainly hope to be less so when I start a more intense program. That's why I'm doing a few other things first to build some endurance.

My mom actually just told me that she ordered T25 for both of us (she got hooked by an informercial, haha). So I guess I'll be doing that one at some point. Are there modifications for Insanity as well or no? Thank you for the info, by the way.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I think right now I would consider myself a beginner, but certainly hope to be less so when I start a more intense program. That's why I'm doing a few other things first to build some endurance.

My mom actually just told me that she ordered T25 for both of us (she got hooked by an informercial, haha). So I guess I'll be doing that one at some point. Are there modifications for Insanity as well or no? Thank you for the info, by the way.

Insanity is an advanced level program designed for people who have already reached a level of fitness to where they do not need to modify. There are no modifiers in the videos and very few of the exercises CAN be modified. If you worry you might need to modify, this is not the program for you.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Neither - RushFit.

It is similar to P90X in that it incorporates weight training, but it is only 45 minutes (under an hour, including warmups and cool-downs).

If you're really committed to Insanity or P90X, though, go with P90X.

Rushfit is an amazing program that I would rank higher than any of Beachbody's current offerings.