diet or exercise for flatter belly?

Options
I know for optimal results its both, but which is the most important for those who wanna lose belly fat and want it to become flatter and leaner?

Replies

• deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    it is both, but weight loss is 80% food, so if it's an either/or situation (which is weird!) go for dieting! workout will just speed it up
  • karlsantiago
    karlsantiago Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    A wise man once told me (via youtube) that diet is KING and exercise is queen.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Diet, hands down.

You can tone as much as you want, but if you don't lose the weight, you'll never see all that toning.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    99% Diet. A friend of mine is a competitive Bodybuilder and has unbelievable abs (when in contest shape). A very old gym saying is Abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I know for optimal results its both, but which is the most important for those who wanna lose belly fat and want it to become flatter and leaner?

You need both to get the best results. HOWEVER - you can not spot reduce!
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Diet, hands down.

You can tone as much as you want, but if you don't lose the weight, you'll never see all that toning.

Which is why I'm doing crunches NOW... so that when the fat is gone the abs will be waiting :tongue:
  • kjg1965297
    Options
    I was always wondered. Very interesting! Thanks
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    99% Diet. A friend of mine is a competitive Bodybuilder and has unbelievable abs (when in contest shape). A very old gym saying is Abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym.

My biggest pet peeve ever... Abs are not made in the kitchen. Yes, YES....Diet is a huge factor in slimming the waistline. But abs need work too. Many people get them from compound lifts and other core exercises and many get them from isolated ab/core exercises and/or a mixture of both.

Diet is key. Eating crap (high (processed) carbs, sugar, sodium) will hinder fat loss and for many, will keep excess bulge on teh waistine. But keeping a calorie deficit and eating well is optimal for fat/ weight loss.

Adding strength training will help tone and develop the abs.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For a flat belly - diet.

For a lean belly - both.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. But you have to exercise and just reduce your overall bodyfat, that's all that means.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Abs are made in the gym, they are revealed in the kitchen.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

DIET and exercise. But mostly diet....:o).
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Both! I forget where I'd heard this, but there was a trainer who commented that you can eat your way through any workout. One without the other is short changing yourself. Good luck OP :happy:
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    You'll never see your abs if you have fat covering them up! Caloric deficit is key to making those abs show, weight lifting will make them pop though :)
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Ding ding, we have a winner
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Diet, hands down.

Which is why I'm doing crunches NOW... so that when the fat is gone the abs will be waiting :tongue:

You'd get much better future results from compound lifts and planks vs. crunches.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Got my flat stomach (in profile pictures) by cutting back on calories and losing weight. Had to go below my original goal weight by almost 20lbs and drop my bmi below 20% to get there. Now my stomach is flat but it's still soft. I've recently started doing an at home strength training program to tighten things up. So for me-diet for flat stomach, strength training to take it to the next level of awesomeness :wink:
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

:drinker:

Yes. I need to remember that. Perfectly said!!
  • mylife4eva
    Options
    thanks everyone. I just dont want to be let down if i do all the hard work :(
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    thanks everyone. I just dont want to be let down if i do all the hard work :(

If you expect some end result, chances are you'll be let down. Things take longer and require more/harder work than most people realize. Expect slow, steady progress over time and you'll be good to go.