1000 Calories an hour????

Options
Just finished doing my exercise DVD Hip Hop Abs (I know corny), and I left the video playing and the promo came on for one of their other programs that said one could burn up to a 1000 calories an hour. Now I know the keywords are "up to" but has anyone ever burned 1000 calories an hour measured by a heart rate monitor (not MFP or another website calorie burn)? I've burned 1000 calories before during a workout, but it took me longer than an hour. What exercises did you do? Make me a believer!!! .

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Yep! Doing Turbo Fire Fire 60 Class I'll burn an average of between 850 - 950 calories and that was utilizing my heart rate monitor!

The thing is, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. Some can do that exact class and burn 500 - 600 calories and others in excess of 1,000. It all depends on how your body burns the fat and the workout you're doing.
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I once did a 1000 cals workout and burnt 530 cals using a HRM!
    If they say up to, they are probably calculating the absolute maximum, doesn't necessarily mean everyone will burn this much.
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Haha Turbo Fire for me too! I burnt about 550 cals in her Fire 30 class. so over 1000 an hour (30 min long)
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It might be possible, if you are able to sustain 60 minutes of balls out sprinting or something like it... but few people can.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It might be possible, if you are able to sustain 60 minutes of balls out sprinting or something like it... but few people can.
    I disagree. Especially if your still pretty heavy burning 1000 calories an hour is easier than you think. I burn about 800 an hour running when I was not much heavier it was a 1000.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that HR monitors "measure" heart rate, but "estimate" calories burned. This estimate is based on formulas of the average response for people tested, between increased heart rate and calories burned in certain types of aerobic exercise. If your response varies from this average do to your physiology, or if your aerobic exercise varies significantly from the the one used to produce the formula, then your HR monitor's calories burned number will be less accurate. For resistance training they are even less accurate.

Having said that, HR monitors can be pretty accurate in estimating calories burned in many cases, but don't get too hung up on the absolute calorie number. It probably makes more sense to use them to compare the intensity of your workouts, one to one another.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If you weigh around 300 lbs, running for an hour will burn close to 1000 calories.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    There are some nice tables here.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/SM00109

I used to think that's impossible but looking at how the burns go up with weight, I see it's not. It looks like it's pretty hard, though. I don't think Hip Hop Abs is comparable to running 8mph.