Kettlebells!!! Not Jingle Bells :)

Options
Hi folks,

My mum has bought me a kettlebell for christmas - so in preparation I've been looking at form and can see that there is room for error and injury so I'm freaking out a lil bit .:noway:

I'm starting off with a 6kg - which I'm now worried it may be too much to start with - I'm not a big weights fan though I do use a 4kg medicine ball now and again for toning exercises (home gym). I've always thought that you bulk up by using weights (I have big biceps from when I trained as a youngster with my dad so the fear as carried through my adulthood.

However, I have seen some before & after threads on MFP and some peops are looking mighty finely sculpted through using weights so now I'm a believer it could be the booster I need. I'm aiming to get sculpted and drop some pounds as I'm getting married next September.

I've been trying to do a bit of research on KBs. I haven't started yet so am reading a lot about how there can be bad technique. I've bought a Bob Harper DVD and one of the previous KB threads someone says don't listen to him or JM... eeek not a good start. I've had a little watch of the DVD and a few of the exercises (and those I've seen on youtube too) seem to pop at the knees which I'm also a bit concerned about as I haven't got the strongest of knees.

I've also just found out that you can get an adjustable KB. Does anybody have one/recommend.

Does anybody have any advice/tips/websites they recommend.

Appreciate your time :drinker: :wink: :drinker:

J from the UK

Replies

• DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Most of the DVD's don't show you 'true' kettlebell exercises unfortunately. Try having a look on T Nation or download some kettlebell apps.

The first move you need to learn is the swing - its the foundation for most of the others. 6KG should be fine for this BTW, my fiance started with this :)

Best foundation exercises IMO are:

Swing
    Goblet squat
    Clean
    Thruster
    Clean & push press (progressing to clean and press)
    High Pulls

And when you're a bit more advanced, the snatch is F awesome :)

Also, not right away, but when you're a bit further on try doing the moves as Tabata sets for an awesome workout - strength and cardio all in one.

Feel free to add me as a friend if I can help further, I love kettlebells so I'm happy to help :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I started with a 8kg and quickly bought a 12. Check out livefitrevolution.org for tons of free info and workouts. You have to register but there's no spam and it's a good org. She's RKC certified.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Swings and Goblet Squats are awesome. I'm sure there's a lot more you can do with them too. Like any other free weight, they can be pretty versatile, but you'll need to increase the weight as you get stronger.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Since you're new, I HIGHLY recommend you buy and read New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a very accessible book with tons of information for women on lifting weight and dieting (does a lot of myth busting too, which is great). I would start here no matter what you endup doing. I'm not kidding, you'll thank me.

And weights are weights, whether it's a kettlebell or dumbbell or barbell. Nothing special about any of them really.

Also, I highly doubt your biceps are larger that the woman in your profile picture... and she is sexy as hell. So...
  • jlp100
    jlp100 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot folks, I'll have a look at the suggested sites/books.

:wink:
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebells and use them all the time. I started with a 4 which was really too Light and quickly went to an 8 for arm activities and 12 for swings squats and deadlifts. I used an app for the iPhone/iPad which showed me a routine and videos of how to do it and its fab!! It's a woman that presents it - Tracey I think? Brill though - 3 routines. The one I do is the fat loss and tone and takes about 10 mins to do