How do you continue to lose weight?

Options
I need to lose at least 40 lbs. My problem EVERY TIME is that I will lose 20 lbs. or so, really begin to look & feel good, and then STOP losing the weight. Of course, then I gain some back. How do I break the cycle and continue to lose after the 20 lbs.? How do you do it? Thanks so much for any help! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand.

If you have success losing 20, just keep doing what's working to lose the other 20.

Or is this more an issue of the number on the scale? If you're happy after losing 20, why do you need to lose another 20? Why not just maintain at that point rather than putting the weight back on?

This really seems to be a question of dedication/commitment, not a "how do I" issue.
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

If you have success losing 20, just keep doing what's working to lose the other 20.

Or is this more an issue of the number on the scale? If you're happy after losing 20, why do you need to lose another 20? Why not just maintain at that point rather than putting the weight back on?

This really seems to be a question of dedication/commitment, not a "how do I" issue.

^^ That answers it for me. I am probably too content & not dedicated enough to continue the weight loss. :cry:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

^^ That answers it for me. I am probably too content & not dedicated enough to continue the weight loss. :cry:

Are you content because you're lazy, or are you content because you're happy?
  • Loresbsp
    Loresbsp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I always lose my motivation at the 20lb mark and slowly gain the rest of the weight back :-(
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Are you content because you're lazy, or are you content because you're happy?

I am happy with losing the 20 lbs. as I feel & look good BUT, I would feel & look even better to lose more. Not really looking at a number but a size of clothes that is reasonable. My biggest problem is that I'm too wishy washy. All or nothing with me and that is bad. I need to maintain and keep at it ALWAYS but seem to go back & forth all the time and never get down to the size I should be. I'm ALL IN right now and just wanted to know how other people stay that way to continue on the weight loss instead of going back & forth. I am happy regardless & let nothing stand in my way.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You develop good habits and continue setting new goals to push yourself. Logging my food, and exercise are part of my daily routine. So if your goals are to wear a certain size then create a plan and set goals that will get you there.
  • piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have been similar in the past - you loose a good amount and get a little content - and slip back into old eating habbits.

The problem is 20lbs dosent really take long to loose .. but comes back too damn fast! after the first 20 I find the weight loss slows . . and it can get very dis heartening.

Ive just hit 26lb loss this time and Im finding this week hard and my goal is seeming very far off and everything seems to be going against me this week. I am trying hard to hang in there and push through!
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I've lost and gained 20-30 pounds countless times over the years…but each time gaining back a little more than the time before. I would always stop short, quit trying, and gain it back. WHY? Self-sabotage?

Anyway, the key for me: Setting fitness goals in addition to weight-loss goals. I had always achieved weight-loss primarily by changing my diet. This time around, I incorporated fitness and have learned to love working out. It's part of my lifestyle now and it's keeping me going!

I've lost nearly 60lbs and have kept it off this past year. I'm now working on these last ~5-10lbs, but focusing more on achieving my fitness & BF% goals. As long as I have a goal, I'll keep working towards it. I'm the fittest and healthiest I've ever been, and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. BUT, I'm here!

I find this is such a mental game…you gotta find what works for you and refuse to quit. Good luck! :)
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I understand too, same thing happened to me, been on MFP for a long time wasn't achieving anything but frustration, until one day I finally figured it out. On a business trip to Scandinavia I discovered a diet called LCHF, which is a type of low carb diet. It's very popular there, they even have athletes and entire soccer teams (or football as they call it in Europe) doing it too. I did a bunch of research on LCHF when I got back home and took the plunge. It works so well it's amazing. Got a lot if info from www.dietdoctor.com, a Swedish site translated into English. Free advice. You eat real food, no gimmicks, no pills, etc. this is what worked for me.
  • yanglovesmj
    yanglovesmj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know how that feels like. you were me two months back. i just started eating crap foods but it just got to me that it isnt enough. i think about wearing my favourite dress and how my tiny waist would look like in it and what kept me going is the thought of my relative criticizing me for being fat and worthless. i wanna make sure the next time i see him i would be a changed person, change to be a confident and happy person who could care less about the opinion of his. i want people to go "she's gotten so skinny" and stop judging me. so thats my greatest motivation because i dont want to take in all those negativity anymore. i wish you wont have people like that around you though. but at least think of how healthy and confident you would feel and how much better you will feel radiating from within. at first it was appearance that bothered me, now i am also striving for health and fitness. i will not ever make myself go back to the person i once were. Good luck girl :)
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's hard to sustain motivation over the long term. I struggle from this too. What I've found that helps is 1. making lifestyle changes, not 'dieting', and 2. taking a weight loss break every few months and telling myself that it is ok to be this weight for a while. Otherwise I get burned out. Clearly everyone will have their own solution but these two things were very key for me to realize and have helped me a lot over the past year.
  • reneekise
    reneekise Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen to me a lot in the past. I think for me, i just get frustrated because the initial weight loss comes pretty easy and then I start to plateau.

this time, it is different, I am just going to keep going. I will not gain the weight back this time! Even if I stay the same for the rest of my life, at least I am healthier than I was before :smile:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    My lifestyle has changed to include exercise and a diet in which I can still lose without giving up the things I like to eat. It's no longer a chore. I also learned the art of patience (well, in THIS aspect of life) and realized that my changes would be slow yet worth it.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Are you crashing down through the 20 pounds in a way that is unsustainable?
    Short term thinking without learning new habits and planning to live this way creates short term results.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It's hard to sustain motivation over the long term. I struggle from this too. What I've found that helps is 1. making lifestyle changes, not 'dieting', and 2. taking a weight loss break every few months and telling myself that it is ok to be this weight for a while. Otherwise I get burned out. Clearly everyone will have their own solution but these two things were very key for me to realize and have helped me a lot over the past year.
    Great post!
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Try changing up your routine. If you do the same workout constantly, you might become bored and not put all your energy into it.
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    maybe because your diet is not sustainable! You have to have a diet which you don't mind continuing long term!
    i was like that, did all sorts of diet - no carbs/low carbs/ i lose 20 lbs, happy fed up of the diet stop gain 30 lbs - cycle repeats itself.
    this time i eat EVERYTHING, but make sure i don't go overboard.
    I have lost 22 lbs, and i still want to lose 18 lbs. I am still motivated, because i get to eat out, eat pizzas burgers crepes, chocolate chips. I don't see a reason why i should stop.
  • kcb0308
    kcb0308 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    In the past I too have lost 15-20lbs and then just derailed due to lack of sustainability in exercise and dieting. This time its day-by-day, eating enough that I don't feel deprived and I look at exercise as a way to get what I want, not torture, but an investment in myself.
  • crissting
    crissting Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Look at portions and know what you are eating. Choosing low fat over regular is good for losing weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    crissting wrote: »
    Look at portions and know what you are eating. Choosing low fat over regular is good for losing weight.

Nice work finding another zombie thread...