How Long?

Options
Just curious about how much time it has taken for others to drop their first 10lbs.? :smile:

Replies

• gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Within a few weeks.... then it stalled. It really depends on how much you have to lose.
  • Lilliesmom2010
    Options
    I was 208 starting weight, I lost 7 lbs the first week and then it seemed to have slowed down to about 1-3 lbs a week, depends on how much I exercise and stay away from "bad" food choices. Make sure you drink your water and watch the sodium intake!
  • Jennweav
    Options
    I'm trying to loose around 20lbs. and it seems like I'm going no where!
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I started at 164 and had a goal to lose 20 lbs. It took me about 6 weeks to lose the 1st 10 lbs. I felt the same as you, but as I kept with this program, my habits improved and I started seeing results. Stick with it. It will happen.
  • calell83
    calell83 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I lost 12 pounds in the first 8-10 days. But I need to lose over 100 pounds and I think a large part of that was water weight, i was taking in alot of sodium, especially through pepsi.
  • fullagrace
    Options
    I lost 5 pounds my first week but im sure it was mostly water weight. You just gotta keep at it.

The time is going to pass either way. Try not to get frustrate if it doesn't fall off immediately. If it takes an extra month or months it is still better than never. Besides if you give up then you will likely gain and have even more to lose down the road.

Personally I lost a ton of weight on WW 2 years ago without working out at all. Since then I have yo-yo'd by strictly dieting and then free for all eating.

This time I have been working out. It is so awesome. I feel happier all day. I have more energy. I sleep better. I am proud of myself and my self confidence has increased already.

Working out has really helped me to see that the scale is not the only thing that matters.
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i have been doing this since august 31 and have dropped 9lbs. the first four i lost the first week but am struggling to lose that last pound. could be because i don't have much to lose to begin with. i keep saying its a slow but steady race:)
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    My first ten pounds was water weight for sure and fell off in about a week.
  • candykisses025
    candykisses025 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you are an averagely overweight person (looking to lose more than 25 pounds), 10 pounds would take 1-3 weeks. Since you only want to lose 20 pounds, it may take longer.

People lose the most amount of weight the first week (3-7 pounds - because the weight they are losing is 80% water, 20% fat), a medium amount the second week (2-5 pounds - weight lost is more like 50% water, 50% fat) and by the third week when they are losing mostly just fat, weight loss drops off to a standard 1-3 pounds per week.

(Used to work at a residential weight loss facility...just my experience)
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Right at two months. Just like it's laid out on my MFP profile/parameters when i signed on. I think i'm set to lose .9 lbs per week. Be patient. Take your time, it's not a race. Adopt this healthy, new lifestyle and never see those 20 lbs again!
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Before I started calorie counting, I lost 13 pounds in six months (and there were times I was exercising two hours every day, but my weight loss barely went anywhere). The first week I calorie counted, I lost 4 pounds. The great thing about tracking your foods is that you'll come to realize how much calories you TRULY are taking in, even though you thought it wasn't that much.

Some tricks that I have is:

-replace high fat foods with lower fat ones because the lower fat usually have less calories too.

-sodium is a major factor. Some of the weight you have on your body can be because of excess water stored in your body because of high sodium intake.

-water intake is another major factor. Weight loss is almost impossible without adequate water intake.

-don't go more than three hours without eating something. If you skip a meal, your body stores the next food you as fat because it thinks you're starving yourself

Good Luck!
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    4 weeks
  • snowball65
    Options
    Hang in there it will come off!!:smile::smile: