Hello from Texas!!

Options
I just joined MFP and started my diet and exercise program on Monday. I am looking for people in the same situation as me to help keep me motivated. I must admit, I get discouraged very easily. If I don't see results fairly quickly I am afraid I will give up and I will need support to stay on track. My plan as of now is to stick to a 1200 calorie diet and walk 30 min a day at a brisk pace. I'm hoping to increase that time as my endurance improves. As of Monday I was 175 pounds :sad: and my goal is to get down to 130-135 pounds. I am 5'7. I'm hoping to acheive my goal in 6 months. Does anyone have any advice as to if this sounds like a good diet/exercise plan and is my goal attainable? How long should I expect before I start seeing results. I don't want to have unrealistic expectations, get discouraged and quit.

Thanks!

Replies

• sheragill
    Options
    Increasing time is good on a treadmill but also increasing the incline you are walking at too will help. I walk at 4.0 on a 10% incline for 15 min then a five minute decrease in 1% per two minutes and then finally landing at 7% for the rest. I get discouraged easily as well. I am a mom of three, an eight month old and trying to eat healthy while cooking their meals...way hard. My husband whos so fit, can eat anything...BOOOOO! :laugh:
    I also do cross fit, zumba and boot camps. I did platue on boot camps and I still love doing zumba. I get a good sweat and it burns mega calories!!!
    Good luck.
  • goldwingrider
    goldwingrider Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP! Your goals are very attainable. I just started myself two weeks ago and have lost 6 lbs! I lost 5 lbs. the first week and one lb. during week two. Actually they recommend that you only lose 1-2 lbs per week. The first week is usually the big one since you are changing your eating habits to healthier choices. Just don't get discouraged and remember...it took a while for the weight to get on and it's going to take a while for it to come off. Just keep thinking about how good you are going to look and feel and that will keep you motivated! Good luck!
  • heidikeuper
    heidikeuper Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am not doing the treadmill. I have been taking my dog for walks and have been enjoying that. I had a gym membership for several years but the last year of my membership I only went twice. Shame on me! I couldn't justify handing the gym $96 a month for nothing so I cancelled it. I really do miss the eliptical machine though. I am going to look into purchasing one. I am going to have to prove to my husband that I'm serious about losing weight first though. If I told him 3 days into this diet/exercise plan that I want one, he would probably think it will be used for a clothes hanger only and a waste of money!!

My body is definetly not ready for a boot camp! If I attempted that right now in the shape I am in, I'm sure somebody would have to be calling the paramedics!!!
  • kjolene
    Options
    hello from texas! I am also from texas, mother of three, and trying so hard to lose all of this weight with a fit husband and three kids under 4!! I too get frusterated when I do not see results fast, I walk, eat right and then get on the scale at the end of the week expecting to drop 10 lbs! Not so..I am trying to remain realistic through this and adapt a new lifestyle instead of just yo-yo diet like I have before. Your plan sounds great to me! I am under a dr's supervision to lose this weight and have to weigh in once a week. His advice to me was to eat what I wanted( do not exclude things you love) but to only eat what fits in my palm. measure everything! The last thing he told me was to not drink your calories..meaning if you drink two sodas a day that was your calorie intake and you didnt get anything for it. Drink water or buy the crystal light drop ins if water is too dull for you. thats my advice, It has helped me drop 13 lbs so far so I hope it helps you also!
  • heidikeuper
    heidikeuper Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement!! It's much appreciated!! My husband is also fit and trim and eats three times as much as I do!! It's so not fair. We have 5 daughters together between the ages of 14 and 21 that are all skinny-mini supermodel type figures. I'm sure when people see us out all together they look at me like.... hmmm, where does she fit into this family??? Does not do alot for my self esteem!!
  • sheragill
    Options
    My husband is the same way! hes a fit man and it kills me! We have three girls, 8yr, 6yr and 8months. I worked out for months with no lbs lost...I started this combat fit and its melting the lbs away with this fitness pal. I like the idea of the palm...I will definately start that. Its hard with little ones around...all the candy and oohhh soo sweet stuff thats so bad for us...my grandmother always said "tastey to the lips but forever on your hips"! Good luck with your journey to fitness.