Help?

Options
I don't know what it is, but growing up I never was taught anything about nutrition, and now that I am older... I still don't know much at all about everything! I've been trying to do some research, but I kind of figured coming here and talking to other people might help me more. I am 40lbs down, but I still have about another 100lbs to go, and I need help in figuring out what is ideal to eat, what would help me the most, etc. I really have no idea where to begin. Some things that I thought weren't too bad, apparently might be? I have really no idea, and I want to bring a healthy lifestyle not only for myself, but my daughter as well. Any kind of information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    An easy first step would just be reading labels:) I know before I joined MFP and started watching calories I never thought twice about what made up my food. Use your common sense. Find healthier substitutes to foods high in sugar and fat, clear out the junk food in your home, and encourage your daughter to have fruit instead of sweets.

Small changes can make a big difference without overwhelming you. Good luck!
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    What types of food do you like the most? what food do you normally like to eat?

Sometimes a starting point is the way to go. There are many great alternatives too what you already enjoy.
  • aphroditesmaiden
    aphroditesmaiden Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Personally, eating clean works wonders. I lost weight quickly because I wasn't eating artificial "foods" anymore. I didn't go all organic - but I read ingredient labels, and whenever I can I purchase organic "processed foods" like crackers, chips, etc. I eat only sprouted bread (Ezekial bread found in the freezer section typically, there are others too). Avoid "enriched" food like the plague. Read labels that say natural because 75% of the time natural is utter BS. If you don't understand what an ingredient is, look it up, it could be crap.
    People claim that eating organic and natural is more expensive and therefore not worth it:
    1) Your body is your vehicle, how can you move through life using subpar fuel that will screw you up
    2) Coupons and sales are your friend!

That is the best advice I can give. God knows, I'm not perfect. I've already had a WW Ice Cream bar today. But you strive for what you can. 40lbs in a helluva achievement! Good for you! :)
  • Luckily my daughter really doesn't take to sweets. She only gets the occasional treat here and there. But she LOVES vegetables and fruits. Which is great, because so do I. So we often snack on broccoli, apples, and what not.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    That is a very broad question that would be much better answered by stopping by th libary and picking up some basic health and nutrition literature. And by health and nutrition, I am in now way referring to the majority of diet books you will have to navigate through. These are mostly garbage and are rarely no more reliable then what you will read here. Try sticking to basic health and nutrition literature. Books that will tell you what micros and macros do in the body.

The question you just asked is going to get about a hundred responses with answers which they feel is critical that will ultimately only confuse you more and many times is flat inacurate. The vast majority of we forum users are not licensed/schooled/trained, and only reiterate what we believe to be accurate which often times is only discredited a few posts later.

Just my 2 cents
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You won't learn it all at once but just coming here and observing and asking questions is a good start. I would start by googling nutrition or something along those lines. Take a look at what you eat already and adjust your diet from there. You can also consult with your doctor for advise if you have one. There is so much information out there but there is also alot of false advertising. Just because something says its healthier for you doesn't mean it is good for you. I feel like I learn something on here daily and learn about my diet sometimes by making mistakes. That fact that you are here is a big step. Just stay with it . Add me if you like. :bigsmile:
  • What types of food do you like the most? what food do you normally like to eat?

Sometimes a starting point is the way to go. There are many great alternatives too what you already enjoy.

There really isn't anything that I prefer, or like the most. I am all about quick. 'Cause I already have a problem with forcing myself to eat, taking the effort to make me something to eat is just annoying. I cook all the time for other people, but cooking for myself I just lose my appetite while I'm cooking for some reason and cannot force myself to eat.
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean - my family never taught me anything about nutrition growing up.
    Things that have worked for me:
    -Eating at least five servings of fruits and veggies everyday
    -No trans fat and limiting foods with saturated fat (not eliminating)
    -Limiting processed foods by making own meals
    -Not fearing fat - eating healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (nuts, seeds, avocado, extra virgin olive oil)
    -Eating at least 25g of fibre/day for satiety and digestion (100% whole wheat bread, fruit, vegetables, seeds, cereal)

I'm not sure exactly what information you're looking for but hope this helps a little. Is there anything specifically you're unsure about in terms of your diet?
  • You won't learn it all at once but just coming here and observing and asking questions is a good start. I would start by googling nutrition or something along those lines. Take a look at what you eat already and adjust your diet from there. You can also consult with your doctor for advise if you have one. There is so much information out there but there is also alot of false advertising. Just because something says its healthier for you doesn't mean it is good for you. I feel like I learn something on here daily and learn about my diet sometimes by making mistakes. That fact that you are here is a big step. Just stay with it . Add me if you like. :bigsmile:

Thank you so much! I definitely need some support system, as I am living in a household where I am the only one really making an effort to change my diet. So, having other people there on my side will be nice.
  • I understand what you mean - my family never taught me anything about nutrition growing up.
    Things that have worked for me:
    -Eating at least five servings of fruits and veggies everyday
    -No trans fat and limiting foods with saturated fat (not eliminating)
    -Limiting processed foods by making own meals
    -Not fearing fat - eating healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (nuts, seeds, avocado, extra virgin olive oil)
    -Eating at least 25g of fibre/day for satiety and digestion (100% whole wheat bread, fruit, vegetables, seeds, cereal)

I'm not sure exactly what information you're looking for but hope this helps a little. Is there anything specifically you're unsure about in terms of your diet?

I just don't know much. I know kind of the obvious, not too much fats. But outside of that I just never learned much. So getting little bits of information from people is helping me out.
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    What types of food do you like the most? what food do you normally like to eat?

There really isn't anything that I prefer, or like the most. I am all about quick. 'Cause I already have a problem with forcing myself to eat, taking the effort to make me something to eat is just annoying. I cook all the time for other people, but cooking for myself I just lose my appetite while I'm cooking for some reason and cannot force myself to eat.

I would try eating more protein like nuts and Edamame if your always on the go. I agree with everyone on here nutrition wise. But you really need to eat. I usually aim for a protein, veggie/fruit and a small carb. My carb/fiber is usually air popped popcorn on the side. It is quick, fun and It fills me up til I eat again.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I agree, you will get a varied response depending on what everyone else believes is 'good nutrition'. It's a personal thing. :smile:

Personally, I tend to gravitate towards food as close to its natural source as possible for one simple reason: I like to eat. A LOT. And eating fresh ingredients allows me to eat larger quantities of nutritionally dense foods. For instance, for lunch today I had a gigantic salad made up of spinach, red pepper, green pepper, cucumber, quinoa, baked chicken, feta cheese, and poppyseed dressing. It was a deliciously large portion, but only came out to a little over 400 calories. That being said, I also enjoy foods that are higher in calories like peanut butter and sandwich bread - I just make sure to make room for them in my meal plan for the day when I want to eat them.

I honestly believe it's all about moderation and satisfaction. Eat the things that make you happy and healthy, and keep your portions in check. Best of luck to you! Feel free to friend me if you like - my diary is wide open! :flowerforyou: