Logging your weight

Options
how often should I weigh myself and update the lbs on the website, I am fluctuating alot....so i get very blue............when i cant seem to get ahead, any words of wisdom

Replies

• redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate a lot too especially around the holidays. Normally I can feel the difference in my body when I haven't been eating right or exercising so I give myself a week to pull it together and then weigh myself. I stopped weighing myself often because I realized it was driving me crazy. Now I'm down to once a week unless I know I'm killing it.
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    Yeah, I forgot about thanksgiving week! I was on vacation too.. So, I missed a week of logging... makes a big difference...
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but do an "official" weigh in once a week on Monday morning first thing before eating anything. :bigsmile:
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I try to "officially" weigh myself and track it once a week on the same day.
  • nurseadair
    nurseadair Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was told once a week, preferably at the same time and in the same (ish) clothes. Can I just mention something, some of the photo's on here show people who look underweight - is this what they are aiming for or what they really look like now? in which case why are they dieting at all?
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day. It holds me accountable for daily food intake. I know weighing and logging weight daily is not for everybody, but it works for me. Keeps me motivated/on track.

I also put together a spreadsheet that shows my end goal with time frame, and where I should be based on that goal and timeframe. I have created graphs and charts to show this more visually. I'm a bit of an excel nerd and it is kinda fun and again, keeps me accountable and lets me know whether I'm on track or not.

It may seem a little excessive, but I've run it past my doctor and he is okay with it.

Give it a shot if you have a similar personality!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I let the number on the scale have way too much control on my emotions and my likelihood for success. So for me, I'm down to weighing about once every two weeks. Even then, I hold my breath and wince as I step on the scale and I try to convince myself it's going to be 2 or 3 lbs higher than the last time, even if I've been doing well. That way I'm not disappointed. That's how messed up my relationship with the scale is. LOL
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I was told once a week, preferably at the same time and in the same (ish) clothes. Can I just mention something, some of the photo's on here show people who look underweight - is this what they are aiming for or what they really look like now? in which case why are they dieting at all?

Do you have specific examples? Eating disorders are highly frowned upon and if someone is posting pics that glorify them, report it and let admin step in. OR....some people are underweight and are trying to gain weight. OR....weight and what looks good can be subjective. Maybe the people you've seen look fine in their opinion but underweight in yours. OR....they're happy with the weight they are, and are working to maintain their weight and/or get stronger, more fit, etc. This site isn't just about weight LOSS...it's about health and fitness at all levels.
  • Lauraplane
    Lauraplane Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Some people use MFP to maintain or even gain weight. Not everyone uses it for weight loss. :)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself here and there throughout the week, but I only count as "official" my Friday morning weigh-ins.
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    Thanks! You all had great points - It's so nice not to go through this alone!
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, so I can keep my heart rate monitor updated with the correct weight. I use the weight number to check body fat% with a hand held scale.

I do a monthly weigh, body measurements and pictures for my own use to see the trend. I expect day to day fluctuations. It's the overall direction that counts. I pay the most attention to my waist and circumference at my belly button measurements.
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    Excellent, monthly weigh ins would be pretty accurate ....... I am having a challenge keeping the # consistent, last week it was almost 180 and today is 185 ... blah!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I weigh and record daily. I like looking at the graph over the long term.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I also put together a spreadsheet that shows my end goal with time frame, and where I should be based on that goal and timeframe. I have created graphs and charts to show this more visually. I'm a bit of an excel nerd and it is kinda fun and again, keeps me accountable and lets me know whether I'm on track or not.

Yep, I'm the same way. I lurrrve excel and visualizing my weight trends. As long as I'm trending down over time I'm doing something right!
  • shells1234
    shells1234 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I hate the scale I do so good my cloths are looser, feeling great losing inches all over my body and hop on the scale to a ZERO pound weight loss then go on a binge... the last time I weighed myself was over a month ago, I don't plan to weigh myself anytime soon.
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale every morning. Puts me in the right mindset. Either I'm kicking butt or I gotta straighten up. I don't log more than weekly though. Every two weeks is even better. There are times when I see nothing for a week but that second week - amazing things happen.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Some people weigh themselves once a week, some every day, some sporadically. It all depends on what keeps you motivated and keeps it going. I heard one person who weighs themselves every day and logged it every time they saw a loss. I prefer to log big jumps on my scale, so I only log when I've seen a loss of at least 1.5 pounds and generally weigh myself a couple times a week just to see where I'm at.

Half the battle is getting over the inevitable frustration when you see the scale stall or even go up a pound or two from your last weigh in. Do whatever gives you the most motivation to keep going :smile:
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I hate the scale I do so good my cloths are looser, feeling great losing inches all over my body and hop on the scale to a ZERO pound weight loss then go on a binge... the last time I weighed myself was over a month ago, I don't plan to weigh myself anytime soon.

I have noticed this just in the past month! I think I'm doing great because of the loose clothing but the scale isn't showing it. SO what do I do... I end the day way over on cals! UGH! I think I need to step away from the scale for the next few weeks and see if that helps!
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Our bodies fluctuate - especially women, with the time of the month, what you ate 2 days ago, salt intake, time of day when the last time you had a bowel movement, etc. Find a day/date and be consistent there. Once a month, once a week, IT DOES NOT MATTER. I think the scale plays mind games with many of us, so don't let that be your determining factor - take your measurements, feel yourself in your clothes, use that and the scale as a reminder - not a GOD.
    I weigh in on Monday and Thursday mornings - right after I get up. I do my measurements once a month. You would be surprised at the differences on one and not the other. Also, get a fat caliper. My fat content has gone dramatically, my clothes fit way better and yet the scale has barely moved - I am exercising - building muscle - a pound of muscle takes up way less space than a pound of fat! Therefore I am succeeding!:wink: