grab n go food ideas

Options
Can anyone offer quick grab n go ideas for breakfast and lunch? I barely have time to get out the door, and I usually travel around two hours one way to various locations for my job...I would love ideas to throw in a bag and snack on during the day, so that I can eat breakfast and lunch and snacks and then eat a frozen dinner (or other suggestions ya'll might have) I have lost 20 lbs and I feel myself starting to slip back into the old routine just because I don't have the items available so easily. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• sherm98
    sherm98 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs and Greek yogurt are my go toos for breakfast. I don't eat breakfast at home. Always at my desk so I need easy and portable.
  • mrsohlson
    mrsohlson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For breakfast in the car, I eat protein bars like Luna bars and keep a big bottle of water to sip during the long drive. For lunches, you could try meal replacement shakes and fruit. Good luck!
  • awkwardwaffle
    awkwardwaffle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    String cheese
    Granola (make yer own! Cheaper and you customize it)
    Fruit
    Sliced up veggies (I go hard on some sliced up cucumbers.. Cucumbers + greek yogurt "dip" is the shizzle)
    Protein shakes
    Wraps.. breakfast wrap, whateverthereisforlunch wrap.
    Sammiches
    Morningstar biscuits
    Waffle PB sammich
    Yogurt
    Protein puddin' (1/2 scoop Good quality protein powder + 8oz plain greek yogurt)
    Dry cereal
    Portioned out chips (mmm.. pop chips).
    Popcorn
    Nuts
    Homemade healthy cookies

Honestly, the options are endless! I usually eat sliced veggies, string cheese, fruits, and protein shakes when I know I'm not going to have much time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Lately we (and by we I mean hubs) have been making burritos with leftovers on the weekends and freezing them. I stick one in the nuker as I'm getting ready and take it with me on my bike.
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    Greek yogurt and almonds, or cottage cheese with almonds

There really is no limitation with grab and go's, if you prep the night before and store it, there' s your grab n go, just keep it chilled
  • 4Melanie
    Options
    Thank you so much for the ideas! I think everyone just gets in a rut....if you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always gotten!....I am just a creature of grabbing fast food...and thus is the reason I am the way that I am...but it is trully a mind set change...I appreciate the feedback.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I eat in my car in the mornings on my way to work - those extra 10-15 minutes in bed are much more important to me!

My standard is a banana (already peeled) and a packet of Emerald-on-The-Go Breakfast Blends, or a protein bar of some sort. I like to have some sort of fruit in the morning, but citrus is too much acid on an empty stomach and apples upset my stomach first thing in the morning.

string cheese - easy peasy
    cook ahead some zucchini tots - easy to warm up and take with you
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/694263-zucchini-tots-so-good?hl=zucchini+tots
    banana (peel that morning and wrap it in a paper towel)
    grapes
  • ksmithnh
    ksmithnh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Most days I try to have oatmeal and yogurt and fruit but for the days I know I'm jammed w/ meetings or traveling I grab a pack of the Belvita breakfast biscuits/crackers or a fiber one bar (the original 150 cal type) and a small yogurt and a water.
  • ksmithnh
    ksmithnh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    One other quick grab and go for the car... I buy the frozen vitatop muffin tops which are good protein and great fiber, usually banana nut or chocolate. I defrost and warm one in the microwave and then top w/ 1 Tbsp peanut butter. It gets all warm and melted and its so good on the go!
  • costleyma06
    costleyma06 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Prep your food before you leave in the morning, that way you have no excuses. I get up at 5:30 every morning and go to the gym. I have everything with me including blowdryer/straightner, clothes, makeup, breakfast, lunch, and two snacks. You may think your bag lady, but results will come. Persevere.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    String cheese
    Granola (make yer own! Cheaper and you customize it)
    Fruit
    Sliced up veggies (I go hard on some sliced up cucumbers.. Cucumbers + greek yogurt "dip" is the shizzle)
    Protein shakes
    Wraps.. breakfast wrap, whateverthereisforlunch wrap.
    Sammiches
    Morningstar biscuits
    Waffle PB sammich
    Yogurt
    Protein puddin' (1/2 scoop Good quality protein powder + 8oz plain greek yogurt)
    Dry cereal
    Portioned out chips (mmm.. pop chips).
    Popcorn
    Nuts
    Homemade healthy cookies

Honestly, the options are endless! I usually eat sliced veggies, string cheese, fruits, and protein shakes when I know I'm not going to have much time.

These are all great ideas, and if you have a cooler with an ice pack in it, you can easily keep yogurt, fruit, etc cold.
  • Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree with the pack it up the night before idea. I find bringing all of my food for the day with me is a great way to control portions.

Traveling Food Suggestions I like to use:
    Snap Peas
    Cherry Tomatoes
    Raw Green Beans
    Cut Up Cucumbers
    Baby Carrots
    Baby Sweet Peppers
    Apples
    Blueberries
    Grapes
    Plums
    Raisins
    Fruit cups
    String Cheese- seems to be a favorite here
    Yogurt
    Portioned baggies Cubes of Cheese
    Hard Boiled Eggs
    Sandwiches
    Instant Oatmeal in a travel cup
    Portioned baggies Cracker chips
    Portioned baggies of cereal
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Eggs that travel well......set it all up the night before:

Omlette in a mug......http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Omelet-in-a-Mug-2/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=eggs in a mug&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page

Homemade Egg McMuffins & breakfast burritos. Make a batch and store them in the freezer. Bake the eggs in a baking dish.....slice into individual size portions.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
  • 4Melanie
    Options
    I am loving the ideas for breakfast...you guys are a blessing...what about lunch? do you guys usually just snack through out the day? I was doing a lean pocket...EVERY STINKING DAY...but that is getting way boring...then I switched over to some pretzels, apples and little cheeses...I kind of like the idea of snacking through out the day...what does everyone else do? Really am appreciative of everyone's support and responses by the way :)
    :wink: :wink: