Weight training

Options
My goal is to look more toned and lose a little weight but I am just wondering, if I just do weight training and no cardio will it make me look bigger? i'm not really sure how it works. I currently don't have a lot of muscle mass at all so I was wondering does the muscle build around the fat or will it help me look a little thinner? because I really i'm trying to avoid looking any bigger or "bulky", basically i'm shooting for a toned, more feminine looking body.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You will not look bulky without eating at a surplus and doing intense, heavy work outs regularly for a long time. If you are eating at a deficit and lifting, you may notice a difference in your body composition, but you certainly won't get big or bulky.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You won't get bulky. Here's an example:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

If you scroll down towards the bottom, there's two pictures. Staci looks smaller at 142 than she does at 131 because she decreased her body fat percentage even though her weight increased.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how you define, as you stated in your OP, "will it make me look bigger?"

For what you stated your goal(s) are, yes - you'll need to do some resistance training - and using weights will give you the most bang for your buck. That said, you may think you "look" bigger, because you've lost body fat while keeping (not necessarily gaining) muscle, so the muscle you do have will show up more. Which is what it sounds like you want.

Also, what Jen said. Somehow, she keeps getting into these threads just before I do...
  • samorales14
    Options
    thanks for the help!