pre-workout snack + gas/bloating (TMI SORRYYYY)

Options
cfredz
cfredz Posts: 292 Member
so i am doing Insanity and have been for a while now. i do it when i get home from work around 7:15. at around 4:30-5PM i will have a quest bar as my preworkout snack. by the time i'm ready to workout i am SO BLOATED and i dont feel like i can give the workout my all. before quest bars sometimes i would have peanut butter and an apple and it was even worse so i stopped. sometimes ill just have almonds and seeds and its okay but then i dont have enough energy for Insanity. Not sure what to do. I need suggestions for pre-workout snack.
Just FYI - i am (mostly) gluten free as i have a sensitivity and mostly dairy free as well. I am aware quest bars have whey in it (and tons of fiber) but sometimes when i have them they dont bother me at ALL.
I cannot handle yogurt or milk or cheese.
I am also a pescetarian.

Any suggestions of pre-workout snacks with these restrictions i have?

Thank you!!

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    How about hard-boiled eggs or a small can of wild salmon or tuna?
  • cfredz
    Options
    hmm i can try that. worried it wont give me enough energy. maybe that plus something else small?
  • Fit_girl4life
    Fit_girl4life Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you're dairy intolerant you shouldn't have Whey. You should look for soy products...just sayin. Personally, I do IF and so I fast during my workouts.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Try roasted sweet potatos! Cut them up and toss with some olive oil and salt and roast them then divide them up for each day. I think they taste great cold and they give me a ton of energy!!
  • cfredz
    Options
    If you're dairy intolerant you shouldn't have Whey. You should look for soy products...just sayin. Personally, I do IF and so I fast during my workouts.

i know. sometimes it doesnt bother me and then sometimes it does. i do use vegan protein powder. if i could find a vegan protein bar that had as much protein in it and less crap in it as quest bars i would buy it in a second.
    unforunately i cant really fast before doing insanity. i need food in me for energy or else i burn out pretty quickly.
  • clarabkyu
    clarabkyu Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Maybe a banana or some kind of gluten-free cracker snack. Bananas will fill you up pretty fast and they're excellent for health. Especially the super yellow ones.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I was going to say yogurt because it has excellent probiotics that help with gas and bloating but I seen you said you can not have it so I'll just mention lots of water and bananas. They are perfect for belly bloat. Foods that cause gas/bloating during workout: gum, broccoli, onions, cabbage, cauliflour.
  • cfredz
    Options
    I was going to say yogurt because it has excellent probiotics that help with gas and bloating but I seen you said you can not have it so I'll just mention lots of water and bananas. They are perfect for belly bloat. Foods that cause gas/bloating during workout: gum, broccoli, onions, cabbage, cauliflour.

i usually eat my banana early in the day (morning snack) i guess i can try in the afternoon. i just feel like it wont be enough to get me through insanity.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Quest bars have a lot of fiber, so do apples. They both make me bloated/ gassy as well. I would suggest a rice cake (or 2) with peanut butter instead of the apple.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I can't eat much of anything at all for 3-4 hours before I work out, or I'll throw up. But I found that trying to weight train 12-14 hours after eating, I couldn't push what I wanted to. So I found that the Quaker Granola bars, the 90-cal ones, are PERFECT for me, and they don't upset my stomach. I started having one before lifting on Saturday mornings (I go straight to the gym out of bed), and I can now make the progress I'm trying to.