Shall i Bulk Or Cut?

Options
Hi peeps im 5 ft 7 15.2 stone, 27Bf%, i lift weights 2 days a week at the moment(upper body) then i do 2 cardio days for lower with squats. I also play football for an hour on wednesday which is very intense. Being so near to christmas im unsure wether to cut or bulk. Ive never really done it that way ive always just lifted and eaten at a restriction but ive come to a point now where im not getting much stronger and i think that could be something to do with the 1900 cals i consume a day(was 220). I would love to lose fat and weight but i would also love to gain muscle so which one at my stage would benefit me more? Also are there any good weight training regimes i can get into? for legs i do cardio and squats mainly. i also dont have a squat rack so i cant load too much weight on normally 50-60kg. my bench press is 3x8 95kg and deadlifts 3x8 90kg. Just to give an idea of where im at. thanks for your time, look foward to responses!

Replies

• prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would cut to bring that body fat % down into the teens, then bulk it back up after. I wouldn't stop lifting though.

Maybe add some plyometrics in there to help with the football. Just my opinion.
  • thatch1234
    thatch1234 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yeah i have done a week of insanity before which i heard was great for fat burn. considering starting up again but feel i wouldnt be able to do that and lift as much as its needed. So any good ideas of what a week could look like for me working out on a cut?
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would lift heavy 2-3 times a week with the large compound lifts, and throw in some jumprope in between sets.

On the days you don't lift I'd run/eliptical and do pushups/pull ups/Burpees after every mile or after some measurable point in the workout (whether it be time or distance)

I'd workout 5-6 days a week, with at least one days rest.

I'm no personal trainer though. Has been working for me!
  • thatch1234
    Options
    Ok thanks for reply, will wait and get a few more responses hopefully and go with the general vote :D appreciate your time pal :D
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Cuuuut. 27% bf is no way to live (or play football/soccer). Keep lifting and eating protein, and 1900 seems like a workable deficit.

You have decent strength, so might as well look good and perform better. Dropping 30 lbs of fat is huge for running sports.

When you're at a reasonable fitness and bodyfat level, you can make a more-informed decision on your strength and appearance objectives.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    If I were you I wouldn't even bother with the HIIT and plyometrics. Cut with your diet, running a moderate calorie deficit with enough protein, and just keep lifting at the same time.
  • thatch1234
    Options
    That's the crazy thing though guys. I am 27bf% but am actually quite fit I think. Compared to alot of others with lower fat percentage anyways so it seems like when I work hard for an hour they all are much more exhausted than me lol. But yes would love for bf% to drop. But want muscles when it's shredded away don't want to just be bone and skin.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Options
    You can be very fit at 27% bodyfat or more-- that's not surprising. You won't go down in fat percentage until you run a calorie deficit though. And it's a lot easier to do that by eating a little less than by working out a lot more.

I've known people who could place pretty well in triathlons who had really high bodyfat. They just ate like mf'ers after they trained and put all the calories back into their bodies.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Cut at a very small deficit (200-300 cals). Look for a 5x5 program like stronglifts or starting strength. Follow it religiously WITHOUT altering it or adding anything. Try this for 3-4 months then once you have form down and lifts have moved up, move onto an intermediate 5x5 like MADCOW. Steady state cardio is fine but I wouldn't do anything more than that. You need to preserve the LBM you have and you can decrease BF without cardio. All cardio does is supplement your deficit.

Try to get at least 1g protein per lb of bodyweight (I tend to aim for 1.3-1.5), .3-.5x bodyweight for fats and fill the rest with carbs.

Perfect form should be your primary goal with a 5x5 program. The results will come.
  • jwdieter
    Options
    That's the crazy thing though guys. I am 27bf% but am actually quite fit I think. Compared to alot of others with lower fat percentage anyways so it seems like when I work hard for an hour they all are much more exhausted than me lol. But yes would love for bf% to drop. But want muscles when it's shredded away don't want to just be bone and skin.

There's "fit" relative to the general population, which is like, "hey I can walk up a flight of stairs without running out of breath", and there's "fit" relative to your own potential. You're 30+ lbs overweight. Everything you do is like you're wearing a backpack full of books. Take that off, and everything is easier. Especially a sport where you're expected to run for 45 minutes straight. Plus, you have muscles in there just waiting to show off.

I was at ~20% bf last summer. I could do 20 pull ups. Yay. Still looked like sht. Dropped down to 11%, looked a lot better, and started bulking. Can do 30+ pull ups now and I look good.

Don't compare yourself to the normal people. They suck. Realize your potential.
  • thatch1234
    Options
    Thing is amadbro is that ive been doing a similar routine for 6 months but weight loss isn't great. I have added a good 40kg to bench but not significant muscle gains. Ofcourse its a marathon not a Sprint but just feel like I'm at a point that I need to do one or the other. With my stats is 1900 a good amount to cut on?
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'd cut first. Keep lifting so you can maintain your strength and you'll get stronger slowly, and just cut cut cut until your bf% is where you want or a little bit below. When you start gaining and bulking, you'll end up where you want to be. You'll also be better at lifting so bulking won't be so hard, then you can cut again after. That's what I'm trying to do right now, I don't want to lose anymore weight so I'm bulking a bit to get stronger before cutting back again.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hi peeps im 5 ft 7 15.2 stone, 27Bf%....I would love to lose fat and weight but i would also love to gain muscle so which one at my stage would benefit me more?

Losing body fat will have - by far - the greatest and quickest impact on your football (soccer) playing. IMO, until you get to mid-teens BF%age, it's no contest - cut.

Ronaldo is six stone lighter than you on a 6'1" frame and looks cut as hell - stay active, eat enough protein, and muscle mass is just not going to be something you'll need to worry about.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Of course you can be fat and fit, I played squash to a reasonably high standard when 30 lbs heavier. Would have been faster without carrying the flab around of course!
    Small deficit, patience and a good lifting routine.
    Assume you are maintaining a good protein intake?
  • thatch1234
    Options
    My protein intake is around 120 grams a day.also football isn't a career for me it's just one hour a week. Ofc would be awesome to have less to carry around but it isn't a primary objective. But all up for the cut guys. Just need a plan
  • thatch1234
    Options
    Btw what's the best option to test my bf%? I used a stand on weigher/bf analysis for mine. Haven't had it done for 2 months so I could be lower hopefully. But not in teens definately. But is there a good option to buy so I can do at home? Also how often should I measure? Thanks again guys. All the help is brilliant
  • jwdieter
    Options
    Easiest way is to look at the builtlean photos and guess from that. Probably be within a few percent.

Scale bioimpedence bodyfat estimates are about as accurate as a broken clock.

Edit (body fat link with photos): http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I would cut to bring that body fat % down into the teens, then bulk it back up after. I wouldn't stop lifting though.

Maybe add some plyometrics in there to help with the football. Just my opinion.
    This
  • Mr_Excitement
    Options
    Btw what's the best option to test my bf%? I used a stand on weigher/bf analysis for mine. Haven't had it done for 2 months so I could be lower hopefully. But not in teens definately. But is there a good option to buy so I can do at home? Also how often should I measure? Thanks again guys. All the help is brilliant

Calipers are the easiest means of getting a reasonably accurate measurement, once you get used to doing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPy-D9LZQqM

Those scales are pretty much useless for measuring bodyfat.
  • thatch1234
    Options
    Okay and as I've never cut before I should ask, does my calories need to be made up of good food or anything within calorie range??