THOUGHTS ON LUNGES

Options
I see that lunges is a power exercise move but I just can't seem to get it right, even with a personal trainer......Maybe I'm too heavy to do this movement still (I'm 5'5" and a little over 260 lbs) because it seems my knees are in pain everytime after I do it and I don't really feel it where I should be feeling it anyway (my butt right??).....

Any thoughts on this --

I stopped doing lunges for now as I don't want to injure my knees further and not be able to workout at all......

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of variations. They are hard. I find back lunges easier. Sometimes walking lunges are easier for some. Or pulsing lunges. I'm not a trainer but I would think you could just do them shallower maybe? They do say to not let your knee track out past your foot, so step far enough out or back, and step wide enough for stability.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    They are hard. They also seriously engage my glutes, even with just body weight. You may need to strengthen your muscles more before you can perform them properly without hurting your knees.
  • taahine01
    taahine01 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    thanks for the feedback guys --

so strengthening my thighs and glutes muscles would help alleviate knee pain when doing lunges??
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love lunges. :) I do walking lunges with weights, and my pinky toe sometimes ends up bending weird, and popping, and i freak out because it hurts way too much and I think it's going to break. :( I wish I knew why. But, yeah. Lunges are amazing. They make butts beautfiul. ♥
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    are you 100% certain your form is correct?
    you shouldnt be leaning forward and your bent thigh should be parallel to the ground. that might require you to take a bigger step out.

i think lunges get a bad rep like squats. knee pain usually is coming from bad form.

strengthening your thigh muscles would really help in making sure you get in the right form. maybe you can try static lunges first as opposed to the switching ones?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have learned to love lunges, and squats, and all their variations. Once you start getting stronger, you'll realize how great they are. Maybe don't go down all the way, and make sure your knee never goes overtop of your foot. Pretty soon you'll be using weights because you need a challenge. Don't give up!
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do lunges properly at 250 and I still can't do them properly at 170 haha. I'm coming to realize that less weight doesn't matter as much as the practice & strength buildup in those muscles. I'm starting with doing just a few on each side making sure I have proper form and going from there.
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I would say strengthen your muscles first, like doing leg extensions. Don't forget to work your hamstrings too as to stay balanced. I could be wrong, but I think when you work one muscle group, you have to work the transverse muscles as well. This is what I did after reconstructive knee surgery so I could do lunges and run ect.
  • AngParke
    AngParke Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to know this:) I can't ever do them.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I used to get pain in my knees as well if I pushed too hard during my leg exercises. I have since tightened up my form and very rarely get pain.

Form is most important.

What helped me was to get into lunge position with the right leg forward and repeat my lunges while keeping my feet planted. That way you can make sure your form is right the first time and not have to readjust over and over like you would with walking lunges. Then I would do the other leg. Sometime having something to hold onto helps. You can use a barbell, held vertically, to help with balance until you can perfect the move.

Another option would be to have someone record you doing one. If someone records you then you can see what you are doing wrong. Watching yourself after the fact can help you pinpoint where you are going wrong.
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I weigh 250 and I can do a lunge. I hate them and they hurt, but oh so good for building strength in your quads and glutes. The trick is form, you have to be very careful about not letting your knee go out past your toes. It may take some experimenting to find out how far you should step to get that right. Also, since you suggested you may not be strong enough, well don't go down so far that your thighs are parallel to the floor, go almost that far.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Feel free to do them in slow steps, too. Like for a back lunge, try it on like a 4-count: step back, dip down, rise up, step forward. Sometimes trainers or videos do them in more like a 2-count (back/down then up/forward) that just makes it harder. And if the 4-count is hard, do pulse/static ones: step back, dip down, rise up, dip down, rise up, dip down, rise up, step forward.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    dirty dirty ones
  • taahine01
    taahine01 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    yes, lunges is one move (besides the deadlift which I would like to master as well but haven't yet but that is a whole 'nother topic LOL) that I would really like to do.....

My trainer (she's not my trainer no more) had me start right away on walking lunges without doing regular lunges at first so you're all probably right about mastering form first before moving on to more complicated lunges......as I've mentioned earlier, I stopped doing lunges for now because of the knee pain but would definitely like to start it up again......

I think recording myself doing it to see my own form is an AWESOME idea!!!

Thanks everyone!!! ;)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to do an exercise that you cannot do properly and that causes pain. There is nothing so beneficial about lunges that you need to keep pushing yourself to do them when you are not ready for them.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to do an exercise that you cannot do properly and that causes pain. There is nothing so beneficial about lunges that you need to keep pushing yourself to do them when you are not ready for them.

But what if she does them as part of a tabata routine?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Love lunges! Try doing one side first for all your reps, then the other (stationary lunges). It'll help you gain balance and should be easier on your knees.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Oh my google. I can't wait till tomorrow.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Only if it's licensed.
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I hate lunges, but love squats. I think I hate them because they really raise my heart and I don'k know why they seem so hard. YOu can try to do them with the smiths machine if you go to the gym. I find it keeps my form better and I do them in front of the mirror so I keep my form. I agree, form is the most important thing.