step aerobics?

Options
I know that they aren't popular any more but I am not sure why? I have a set of the steps underneath my bed collecting dust - is it worth it to pull them out and if so, can someone recommend a DVD that I can use with them?

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I wish more gyms offered the Step. The only thing I see them used for at 24 is Bodypump. I'm dating myself but I remember when Reebok Step first came out and I was able to purchase the step and risers directly from the gym. I have some old videos that I used to love to do. Cher comes to mind! Lol. I'm sure you can find videos on youtube or purchase on collagevideo.com. Collagevideo.com has reviews that really help when deciding. Good luck.

Just saw this on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IpJM29PJR4 Classic but I had it in my home workout rotation.
  • tanya0324
    tanya0324 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Check youtube for videos.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I know that they aren't popular any more but I am not sure why? I have a set of the steps underneath my bed collecting dust - is it worth it to pull them out and if so, can someone recommend a DVD that I can use with them?

Lol funny you should mention it! I just recently dragged my step out, dusted it off and have been doing some of the old Reebok step routines. Holy heck it's hard!!!! Youtube has lot's of free step workouts - Jenny Ford, Jessica Smith, The original Reebok Step workout, Denise Austin and tons more, just do a search. It's a great workout and I plan to be doing it more often!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    step aerobics is no joke, that's some challenging workout. I remember doing classes at the gym wearing a leotard and leg warmers. Ah, I loved the 80s.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I do step class all the time at the gym. It's group step (soon to be called group blast) by bts (soon to change name to mossa)
  • Swehl
    Swehl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness I loveee step aerobics!! I wish gyms offered this class more often! Definitely use your step OP :)
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I love step. If you have a Wii there is a game "My Fitness Coach" that utilizes the step. I use my step for hiit workouts, without a dvd as well as for crossfit style box jumps etc. Gonna have to see if I can find my old Reebok workouts, you've inspired me!!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I do use the Wii Fitness Step program. I started out with just the balance board that's only 1" off the ground but then I moved up to doing it with a 3" riser. I generally use the beginner or advanced step to warm up, but then move to the Free Step - you can set your own pace (up to a point) and you can watch TV while you're steeping to a metronome sound coming from the remote. BabyPhit mentioned that there's a Step program on the Fitness Coach disc; mine is on the Wii Fit Plus disc.

I think doing the Step Program for the Wii was one of the best things I did for gaining back strength and mobility after having my knees replaced.
  • gonesewing
    gonesewing Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think it is a regional thing. I did a Body Step class today and it was packed with Steppers. I love my Body Step class and do it 3 times a week. My hubby even does it with me! PP had some excellent ideas, pull out that step. Stepping can be a lot of fun!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't do step- but I use the steppers probably 2x a week in my workouts- they are great tools!

Plus the little square riser thing keeps the stability balls from rolling the f**k away