Yawning during weight training

Options
Why does this happen? I am not sleepy or tried; except I keep yawning during my weight training. I start my workout off witb 30 minutes of cardio, then do weights, finish off with 20 to 30 more minutes of cardio.

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Maybe your just bored with it. Try changing things up some.
  • mybutterflower
    mybutterflower Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I do the same thing! I used to have a personal trainer and felt so bad anytime I'd yawn infront of him because I didn't want to look disrespectful.
  • littletiger972000
    Options
    My old science teacher told me that you yawn because you are taking shallow breaths and don't have enough oxygen in your blood stream! Yawning causes you to take a deep breath. Now whether this is right or not, I'm not sure, but it sounds right.
  • kuntrygurl
    Options
    Lack of oxygen...
  • JeanBeanM
    JeanBeanM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too, not sure why though.
  • littletiger972000
    Options
    Googled and found this, maybe it helps!

Causes Of Yawning

According to an old hypothesis, yawn is considered as a reflex action triggered by the brain on the account of lack of oxygen and excess buildup of carbon dioxide.
    According to dictionaries, yawning is a process triggered by fatigue, drowsiness, or boredom. Although this theory doesn’t explain why we yawn when we are not bored or tired.
    Many people say that may be yawing serves health purposes as it causes us to draw more air inside our body and to make our heart, race faster.
    It is also speculated that yawning is triggered from the part of brain which we are yet to discover about.
    It is said that people yawn by stretching their mouths wide and inhale deeply in order to supply oxygen to the lungs and eventually, to the bloodstream.
    As per a recent hypothesis, yawning is an action, which helps the body to regulate temperature.
    According to a study, the chemicals named neurotransmitters, present inside the brain, make people yawn. It is also believed that the more these chemicals are activated in the brain, the more is the frequency of yawning.
    Many people say that yawning is a behavior similar to stretching, which is done to flex the muscles and joints.
    Some theories also believe that as even cats, dogs, tigers, fishes and almost all animals use, it may be some form of communication, which we are yet to understand.
    It is believed that yawning is something inherent in human beings. The practice started with our ancestors, who used this behavior to show their teeth and intimidate others.

Interesting Facts About Yawning

Generally the average yawn last only for six seconds. The heart rates at the time of yawning can rise up to 30 percent.
    More than 55% people yawn within five seconds of seeing someone else yawn.
    Even reading about yawn can make you yawn. It’s the same with hearing too. The moment you hear someone yawn, it may trigger yawn in you too.
    It is also seen that Olympic athletes often yawn before their competition starts.
    It is also a very interesting find that blind people yawn more after hearing about it, mainly the audio tapes of other people yawning.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    Do less cardio before your weights, just 10 or 15 minutes to warm up. Then do your weights, make sure you pause between sets and drink water. Finish with a longer cardio set. I've researched this to death, and my fitness consultants are Ironman competitors, coaches, sports docs, and a nutritionist. Unless you start to feel light headed or have difficulty breathing you're probably fine :)
  • tater8589
    Options
    Yawning isn't a 'bordom' thing. Your body does it when it doesn't have enough oxygen. When you push your muscles they need more oxygen, thats why your heart pumps more blood (full of oxygen) to them. Without oxygen your muscles become tired. You are probably just yawning because your muscle are wanting more oxygen. :) BSN makes a drink mix called N.O. Explode... I personally don't care for it. But what it does is oxygenate your body to help you to do more of a workout and not tire as easily and not 'bulk' up. For me the flavor is hard to swallow and it makes me light headed, BUT many many people swear by it.
  • Iron_Biker
    Iron_Biker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You are not getting enough oxygen, as everybody has already pointed out. Try fewer, deeper breaths instead of short gasps when you move the weight or barbell against gravity.
    Also, don't hold your breath while doing the reps.
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I yawn at around a 1/2 mile into every run. Like clockwork. I think it's my body adjusting to my breathing pace and exertion level of my run.