Calories burnt networking?

Options
I attended a conference today, and it ended with about an hour of networking, i.e. walking slowly around a room talking to as many people as possible about anything and everything.

And now I am exhausted.

Surely I must have burnt at least a few calories doing that.

Replies

• Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I wish this were true but I highly doubt it. Put it this way...I wouldn't log it onto MFP and eat back the calories :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Surely I must have burnt at least a few calories doing that.

Not enough to eat back.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    >.>
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    I would really appreciate it if people gave me the INFORMATION that I want, and not tell me what to do.

I already know I drank more calories during that hour then I could possible have burnt.

BUT I am a data analyst, and I like to have all the data.

That way I can make informed decisions for MYSELF instead of relying on other people to tell me what I should or should not do.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Wants to rely on self.

Asks others to do her research for her.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Well if i were you i wouldn't go by the logging exercise calories and eating them back route. It's just too inaccurate and many people overestimate their burns and end up eating back too much.

Find your TDEE amd subtract 20%, then just eat this amount every day. It's much simpler and that way you don't have to worry about this type of thing!
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Because the thing is, there's no way you can get accurate data for that. How fast was the walking? How long was it really, an hour exactly? More? Less? Caloric burns are estimates at best.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Ok, but we need more facts. When you say "about an hour" how many minutes and seconds was that exactly? How fast were you walking - if you know the distance you covered and the time it took then we can calcualte an average speed - go down to the conference hall with a measuring tape NOW! Were you moving your hands and jaw around as well as walking? And what's your height and weight?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I would really appreciate it if people gave me the INFORMATION that I want, and not tell me what to do.

I already know I drank more calories during that hour then I could possible have burnt.

That way I can make informed decisions for MYSELF instead of relying on other people to tell me what I should or should not do.

You didn't even ask a question in the OP, actually. So don't act like they answered the wrong one.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

You didn't even ask a question in the OP, actually. So don't act like they answered the wrong one.

Heh. Good catch.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Standing for an hour burns about a calorie per pound of bodyweight. (120 pound woman burns 120 calories, etc.)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Ok, but we need more facts. When you say "about an hour" how many minutes and seconds was that exactly? How fast were you walking - if you know the distance you covered and the time it took then we can calcualte an average speed - go down to the conference hall with a measuring tape NOW! Were you moving your hands and jaw around as well as walking? And what's your height and weight?
    Pretty much all of this. And Elsa's rule of thumb above jives with what I would estimate for myself based on my experience with a Fitbit pedometer. Get yourself one of those if you want to count this sorting activity as exercise, and you can analyze the data to your heart's content.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Wants to rely on self.

Lol, yeah I saw that too.

I should hold the straws higher, to deter grasping huh?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • candiceh3
    Options
    Standing doesn't burn many cals at all because our bodies are so well adapted to it. It is included in a sedentary lifestyle tdee calc.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Standing for an hour burns about a calorie per pound of bodyweight. (120 pound woman burns 120 calories, etc.)

really? i sometimes stand waiting for the bus for aaaaaaaaages when its late... next time i am taking a doughnut so i dont get too skinny burning all those calories when i am stood doing nothing!

great thread by the way OP.... if i was you i would log about 20 minutes slow pace walking to cover the networking...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Wants to rely on self.

Lol.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Heh. Good catch.

Agreed
  • itsmeltc
    itsmeltc Posts: 7 Member
    Options

really? i sometimes stand waiting for the bus for aaaaaaaaages when its late... next time i am taking a doughnut so i dont get too skinny burning all those calories when i am stood doing nothing!

great thread by the way OP.... if i was you i would log about 20 minutes slow pace walking to cover the networking...

I sincerely doubt there is any truth to this.

OP - Sorry, but this is not exercise!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I sincerely doubt there is any truth to this.

i guess i forgot the sarcasm font if you thought i was being serious!!!
  • Dewymorning
    Options

The question was in the topic title, the post was my explanation of the question.

I did do research, it said 126 calories which I thought sounded too high.