Nutrients

Options
Ok, I understand calories in/calories out and eating at a deficit. All calories aren't created equally. I'm being kind of lazy and not using the search function on this site. I also don't know what to actually search for. What I'm wondering is what does each component do for us? Protein? Carbohydrates? Fat? Sugar? Fiber? My first step in weightloss was to limit my calories, but 1300 calories in Candy Canes is going to do my body different than 1300 calories in chicken. Can someone breakdown what each does? That way I can alter my diet to make me feel better?

Replies

• toad493lbs
    toad493lbs Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You really should talk to a nutritionist on this subject. There are a lot of peeps here that think they kn ow more than they do. Also a nutritionist will know about your health history and can make better informed decisions on what will work. I have studied for a long time but what I know is what is best for me and my health. Be careful with info from others that are unqualified!
  • toad493lbs
    toad493lbs Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A book I read that helped me understand a lot of foods is called "Sugar Busters" it is about sugar and its affects but also helps understand other foods. Was only a penny and shipping when I bought mine.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates/ proteins/ fats are know as macro nutrients and are preset on MFP at 55%/15%/ 30% of total calorie intake. (sugar and fiber are actually subcategories of carbohydrates.) There are lots of articles and posts about macros and different people have different %'s. Currently I am eating about 45/25/30 which seems to work best for me.
  • KiaraStill
    Options
    I think, in terms of diet does not mean away from everything, just consume what is necessary for the body and not excessive so as not to strain the body to perform activities
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Here's what works for me: 5% carbs, 20% protein and 75% fat. I was on MFP for a long time and wasn't losing weight, until I discovered the 5/20/75 strategy, and now I'm listing 1 lb per week. Good luck with your journey.