effect of metformin on PCOS??

Options
PCOS sufferers.............i would like to know how many of you are on metformin (glucophage) and what are the benefits of taking metformin on PCOS??? i have decided to control my sugar naturally by reducing my carbs to lowest level like 20-30gram per day and not to use metformin as i am not insulin resistant. ur suggestions plz

Replies

• maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm not on metformin either. My doc said I don't need it as my only effect from PCOS was irregular periods. I'm on bcp for that.
    I try to do low carb but it's not rigid.

Do you limit fruit and veggies as well?
  • ntatbeeq
    ntatbeeq Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i have just started limiting my carbs to this level i.e. 20-30grams per day (u can say i am following atkins diet)
    i also dnt have severe issues related to PCOS but issues like thinning of hair and irregular periods are there.

So, i was wondering if i dnt take glucophage, would it effect negatively on me or i can replace it with low carbs and regular exercising??? what do you say Maasha???

are u able to lose weight by not taking metformin. by the way i am not losing anything using metformin :(
  • RunningMum2017
    RunningMum2017 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had PCOS, it was really bad about 10 years ago. I was on metformin for 2 years. At the same time I went on a low calorie diet and lost over 40 kilos (88 pounds). Following that I stopped the metformin. I struggle a bit with my weight not as much as before, however I am always careful with my fat, carb and sugar in take!
  • brooklynnchick
    Options
    My fertility doc said that a 10-15% weightloss is just as effective at increasing healthy ovulation and increasing fertility. I was on metformin for about 6 month but had to stop when it sent a pre-existing condition into overdrive.

Oh, I hope you get a little one soon!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I don't take metformin but I do take BC pills and Spironolactone to regulate my hormones.

I've been off my meds for almost 3 months now (my doc won't refill my scripts until I finish paying off a LEEP procedure) and I feel miserable. My skin is broken out terribly, I'm seeing coarse, black hair growing uncomfortably in places I don't want it and I am bloated all the time. Since being off my meds, my weight loss has ceased, even working harder.

The meds don't make you better but they can easy your symptoms. It's hard to lose weight with PCOS or any metabolic issue, but some medications can help your body metabolize better.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Metformin helped me with all my symptoms - I had not had a period for seven months and started getting them regularly once my dosage was right. I also stopped losing my hair. For me, it worked really well. As far as weight loss, I did lose weight on it. I had to work out and eat pretty well.
    One word of caution - I did phase 1 of South Beach while on Metformin and exercising - it was not good. I got really sick. I think it was just too much between low carb, exercise and Metformin, all of which will lower blood sugar.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

I've been off my meds for almost 3 months now (my doc won't refill my scripts until I finish paying off a LEEP procedure) and I feel miserable.

Whaaaaa???????
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's crazy low carb if you're not even IR. I took met when my PCOS was out of control and I was trying to get pg. Honestly, I can't say that it helped at all. I lost weight with Met, diet and exercise and my cycles returned to normal and symptoms got better.

Gained a ton of weight during pregnancy and this time I've lost it without Met. Just diet and exercise and my symptoms are almost non-existent and cycles are 29-31 days. Achieved the same thing without Met and without going low carb. Best part is that no Met means no intestinal issues.

Good luck!
  • ntatbeeq
    Options
    Wow, that's crazy low carb if you're not even IR. I took met when my PCOS was out of control and I was trying to get pg. Honestly, I can't say that it helped at all. I lost weight with Met, diet and exercise and my cycles returned to normal and symptoms got better.

Gained a ton of weight during pregnancy and this time I've lost it without Met. Just diet and exercise and my symptoms are almost non-existent and cycles are 29-31 days. Achieved the same thing without Met and without going low carb. Best part is that no Met means no intestinal issues.

Good luck!
    so it mean before pregnancy u were using metformin ??? right???
    and now u r not using metformin and everything is occuring naturally????/ right????

So, how long did u use metformin?? and did u talk to ur doctor before stopping metformin???????
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options

are u able to lose weight by not taking metformin. by the way i am not losing anything using metformin :(

I was able to lose weight without any sort of meds. It was really just being in cal deficit. I lost even more quickly when I was low carbing - no flour, pasta, potato and even rice. I ate primarily veggies and meat.

I don't even do that any more but still try to omit white flour and pasta. I eat more whole wheat and grains
  • ntatbeeq
    Options

I was able to lose weight without any sort of meds. It was really just being in cal deficit. I lost even more quickly when I was low carbing - no flour, pasta, potato and even rice. I ate primarily veggies and meat.

I don't even do that any more but still try to omit white flour and pasta. I eat more whole wheat and grains

Hey Maasha , i have sent you an email, kindly check that
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Some of the symptoms of PCOS, like the hair loss, acne, and unusual hair growth, are because of too much testosterone. Metformin helps with that even if you aren't insulin resistant.

If you aren't insulin resistant, I don't think Metformin will help with weight loss. But weight loss problems are probably not due to PCOS if you aren't (yet) insulin resistant.