Potassium

Options
I eat very, very well and try to get high potassium foods, but never once have I met the RDA. I get terrible footcramps and heart palpitations, so I suspect I may be a bit low. Yet when I research potassium supplements, the standard advice is that most people get enough from their diet and that supplements may cause other problems. Any thoughts or advice?

Replies

• crashtech
    crashtech Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I drink coconut water to get extra potassium when I need it, usually with a salty meal. It's an acquired taste, though. You may actually need more magnesium, worth looking into, imho.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Potassium numbers are not always listed in the foods. It can be very bad to go over potassium and it really is in just about everything. I would avoid supplements. I know of 2 people who needed to go on strict low potassium diets when their potassium went too high and they basically could only eat meat.
  • ellenk1492
    ellenk1492 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the really helpful information. I'll stay off the supplements and continue to eat healthy meals. Still, I wish I could lose the leg and foot cramps; they are the worst.
  • ellenk1492
    ellenk1492 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply on potassium. I love coconut water!
  • crashtech
    crashtech Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    High potassium can be a sign of kidney disease, or a side effect of medications. A trip to the family doctor might not be a bad idea to rule out some other cause of the cramps you are experiencing, as well as finding out if you are at risk for developing hyperkalemia (high potassium level).

Also, I agree about the potassium levels not being properly listed. It is an often neglected nutrient, not really on most people's radar. If you eat lots of fruits and vegetables, it's extremely unlikely you are deficient. The magnesium issue I mentioned is probably more likely, eating spinach and nuts will help.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Usually when I get cramps, I suspect it was because I wasn't very hydrated. That might be another thing to check.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    The heart palpitations in conjunction with the cramps, makes me think electrolyte imbalance .. This is definitely a "go to the doctor and get bloodwork done" problem ... Imbalances in your electrolytes can cause arrhythmias ... NOT GOOD, in fact, VERY BAD!
  • 9thChakra
    9thChakra Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi, Ellen.

I've been contemplating my potassium levels as well. Using the MFP reports I've noticed I'm consistently under with calcium, iron and potassium. Though, as someone else stated, these things are not always listed on nutrition labels.

In the past, I have had a negative experience with taking supplements - in part due to my lack of education about them. So I proceed with much more caution.

I have worked on educating myself more about nutrition so that I can increase/diversify/meet my needs through food, rather than pills, as much as possible

JUST TODAY I was looking at potassium supplements in the store and noticed almost all the bottles contain pills that only provide 3% of the RDA (recommended daily allowance). This raised a red flag for me that it was probably because too much is not good.

I have my annual physical in January and I plan on bringing my concerns up with my Dr. about my potential low intake of these vit/min and she will likely be open to testing my levels. Once I know the results then I can make a better plan.

Also, I have found the book "Realities of Nutrition" Morrill/Deutsch to be very educational and easy to read. Nutritiondata.com is another helpful resource as well as whfoods.com.

Best to you!

9thChakra
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Hi, Ellen.

I've been contemplating my potassium levels as well. Using the MFP reports I've noticed I'm consistently under with calcium, iron and potassium. Though, as someone else stated, these things are not always listed on nutrition labels.

In the past, I have had a negative experience with taking supplements - in part due to my lack of education about them. So I proceed with much more caution.

I have worked on educating myself more about nutrition so that I can increase/diversify/meet my needs through food, rather than pills, as much as possible

JUST TODAY I was looking at potassium supplements in the store and noticed almost all the bottles contain pills that only provide 3% of the RDA (recommended daily allowance). This raised a red flag for me that it was probably because too much is not good.

I have my annual physical in January and I plan on bringing my concerns up with my Dr. about my potential low intake of these vit/min and she will likely be open to testing my levels. Once I know the results then I can make a better plan.

Also, I have found the book "Realities of Nutrition" Morrill/Deutsch to be very educational and easy to read. Nutritiondata.com is another helpful resource as well as whfoods.com.

Best to you!

9thChakra
    Along this line...I thought the same thing. MFP consistently says I am WELL below the reccomended potassium. As it so happens I had an unexpectd hospital stay recently, and lo-and-behold they drew labs. I asked the ARNP about my potassium levels out of curiosity. Sure enough, they were in the a-OK range. Based on the blood levels, I choose to ignore MFP's suggestion on potassium intake and keep doing what I'm doing.

d.

(Edited to correct a type-o)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting the labwork done to be certain. High levels of potassium can cause palpitations. Too much makes the heart iritable. Other lytes to check are magnesium, sodium, calcium, and phosphate. These can all be serious. Best to be sure.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I will echo the 'get the lab work' crowd. I only hit about 19% of my RDA for iron, but I actually have high iron (and I don't eat meat), so I needed to take my diary to the doctor to persuade her that I don't secretly iron binge :-)
  • PINKSPARKLE1965INPARADISE
    Options
    broccoli is a good source for potassium:heart:
  • hahabus
    Options
    I eat raw almonds and dried apricots after a workout - if it fits my calories for the day I will dice them up and put them in plain Greek yogurt with cinnamon and stevia - it's like a potassium cocktail and the flavor is sooooo good. All three foods are very high in potassium and way better for ME than a banana...nannas give me indigestion for some reason...I have noticed since Istarted this that the cramps in my calves have nearly stopped completely...if you look around you can find the apricots without sugar and sulfur dioxide...Whole Foods has them in the bulk section...the only ingredient is apricots.
  • favor030969
    favor030969 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm super late on this but wanted to chime in with my own experience. I had blood work done and was called in for a potassium infusion due to very low potassium which I believe was caused by my blood pressure meds. I was given a supplement but have instead been drinking V8 100% vegetable juice daily (low sodium version). This has worked wonders and I haven't had a cramp or spasm since.