Need breakfast ideas.

Options
Hi Gorgeous Guys & Beautiful Gals!
So I'm in a little bit of a "breakfast slump" - I used to never eat breakfast and recently started to. I never realized how difficult it was for me to do this transition but well, here I am.

Anyway, I reallyreallyreally need ' HEALTHY -forweightloss- breakfast ideas.'
I need ideas that stand away from the traditional recipes that require "milk" or "eggs". or even tortillas.

I usually eat Oatmeal - but I prefer my oatmeal with milk. Water just tastes.. disgusting to me with oatmeal.
Milk and Eggs are the things that go quickly in my household - so I need ideas that kind of have nothing to do with those topics.
I've also tried looking through the internet but honestly, it just made me hungrier and didn't really help me with anything. :P

I would prefer it if it wasn't entirely time-consuming, either. It's not a HUGE deal if it is, but I kind of like to make it quick. :)

So anyone who can help, I would be greatly appreciative!

Also - Feel free to add me if you'd like! :)

Replies

• cwatts0
    cwatts0 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    How about smoothies? This morning for me was pineapple/blueberry/spinach smoothie and it tasted great. First time I had tried it. You can find lots of smoothie ideas on here.
  • Jessastar
    Options
    The problem with smoothies is that they don't seem to fill me up. :L I love them, but I usually make them as a post-workout snack.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I know you said no eggs but you can modify the ingredients... I bought one of these breakfast sandwich makers and now I get a variety for 5 minutes or so of time... It is made by Hamilton Beach. HTH :smile:

Breakfast-Sandwich-Maker-by-Hamilton-Beach.jpg
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I have an large piece of fruit, topped with greek yogurt, cinnamon and 1 serving of bran cereal or granola - some mornings.
    Other mornings, I have oats mixed with chia and oat bran, cooked in the microwave with loads of cinnamon, fruit and then topped with a drizzle of natural PB.
    Some mornings I have an egg + whites omelet with whatever leftover veg I have from dinner the night before.
    And other mornings, I have cereal with soy milk and fruit when I'm in a pinch for time.

I'm a "big eater" but these keep me nice and sated until my morning snack around 10:30.

None of these meals take more than 10 minutes to make. Most of them, less than 3.
    If you want something you can make a batch of at the beginning of the week and just grab and go - overnight oats are a great, healthy, versatile, and easy batch-up option. So is making a pot of steel cut oats Sunday night and dividing it out into 4 servings for breakfasts throughout the week.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    And keeping tetra packs of soy milk will definitely help the "out of milk" problem.

But yea, yogurt is a great alternative to milk. It's more filling, has good protein and fat (not fat free yogurt, please) and tastes great with fruit and cereal.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I need ideas that stand away from the traditional recipes that require "milk" or "eggs". or even tortillas.

Can you expand a bit on "no eggs, milk, or tortillas"?

The American focus on these items for breakfast is purely cultural. There is nothing wrong with stirfry, for example, for breakfast. Spicy Thai is fine, too.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Yea. I mean who eats breakfast for breakfast these days anyway? It's, like, so last fall.

Honestly though - leftovers are an amazing, healthy way to get in some food in the morning if you aren't too picky. I went through a phase where I had rice w/ hot sauce every morning and some steamed veg for breakfast. It's all personal preference.
  • matchpoint312
    matchpoint312 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you decide egg and tortilla are fine, there is a brand of frozen, all natural, no nitrates, breakfast burrito that is sold at Target or other stores. The brand is called Good Food Made Simple and at target they are only $1.89 which is a steal of a deal. They have both egg white and regular egg types. I'm very conscious of eating pretty clean and these taste really good.
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I will make a big what I like to call egg scramble, I use the cartons of egg substitute, I will usually use some of the regular one and then some of the egg white one. I brown turkey sausage in the skillet and then just add whatever I have in the house, such as bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, diced pickled jalapenos, etc to the skillet and let that cook a bit, then pour in the egg substitute let it cook through and then if I want to add cheese I will add Neufchatel or most recently added a cream cheese and greek yogurt mix that I found that only has 45 calories per serving. That will usually last me all week I just heat it in the microwave at work and then I usually make a packet of instant grits and mix them together. That is what I'm having right now.
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I know you said no eggs but you can modify the ingredients... I bought one of these breakfast sandwich makers and now I get a variety for 5 minutes or so of time... It is made by Hamilton Beach. HTH :smile:

Breakfast-Sandwich-Maker-by-Hamilton-Beach.jpg

I bought one of these but haven't tried it out yet.....
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    If you like oatmeal but don't have milk available, you could try stirring in a tablespoon or two of powdered milk. It gives it more of that creamy milky flavor and adds the nutrients of milk, but it's less likely to run out in a household (If I read the OP correctly, that's the biggest issue with milk/eggs - they run out in the household). We keep a box of powdered milk in the pantry that I use in cooking and to stir into my oatmeal or creamy wheat when we don't have any fresh milk.

Another idea is hash browns. Grate 1 small-med potato and some cheese. Add chopped onion, bell pepper, ham, tomato, whatever, and cook in a frying pan until the potato starts to brown. You can chop everything (except the potato) the night before.
  • jbake58
    Options
    When I eat oatmeal I like to put in 1/4 to 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon honey, 1/2 - 1 scoop protein powder and a tablespoons of some kind of nut butter and of course a generous sprinkle of cinnamon. This transforms the oatmeal to a protein packed breakfast that will keep you full and enough carbs and fat for that quick energy boost.
  • Jessastar
    Options

Can you expand a bit on "no eggs, milk, or tortillas"?

The American focus on these items for breakfast is purely cultural. There is nothing wrong with stirfry, for example, for breakfast. Spicy Thai is fine, too.

Haha. Well - Care to share with me some ideas? You're absolutely right.
  • Jessastar
    Options
    If you like oatmeal but don't have milk available, you could try stirring in a tablespoon or two of powdered milk. It gives it more of that creamy milky flavor and adds the nutrients of milk, but it's less likely to run out in a household (If I read the OP correctly, that's the biggest issue with milk/eggs - they run out in the household). We keep a box of powdered milk in the pantry that I use in cooking and to stir into my oatmeal or creamy wheat when we don't have any fresh milk.

Another idea is hash browns. Grate 1 small-med potato and some cheese. Add chopped onion, bell pepper, ham, tomato, whatever, and cook in a frying pan until the potato starts to brown. You can chop everything (except the potato) the night before.

Hmm.. that's a great idea. Thanks for sharing!
  • Jessastar
    Options
    I have an large piece of fruit, topped with greek yogurt, cinnamon and 1 serving of bran cereal or granola - some mornings.
    Other mornings, I have oats mixed with chia and oat bran, cooked in the microwave with loads of cinnamon, fruit and then topped with a drizzle of natural PB.
    Some mornings I have an egg + whites omelet with whatever leftover veg I have from dinner the night before.
    And other mornings, I have cereal with soy milk and fruit when I'm in a pinch for time.

I'm a "big eater" but these keep me nice and sated until my morning snack around 10:30.

None of these meals take more than 10 minutes to make. Most of them, less than 3.
    If you want something you can make a batch of at the beginning of the week and just grab and go - overnight oats are a great, healthy, versatile, and easy batch-up option. So is making a pot of steel cut oats Sunday night and dividing it out into 4 servings for breakfasts throughout the week.

Wow, thanks for sharing! I
  • Jessastar
    Options
    I will make a big what I like to call egg scramble, I use the cartons of egg substitute, I will usually use some of the regular one and then some of the egg white one. I brown turkey sausage in the skillet and then just add whatever I have in the house, such as bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, diced pickled jalapenos, etc to the skillet and let that cook a bit, then pour in the egg substitute let it cook through and then if I want to add cheese I will add Neufchatel or most recently added a cream cheese and greek yogurt mix that I found that only has 45 calories per serving. That will usually last me all week I just heat it in the microwave at work and then I usually make a packet of instant grits and mix them together. That is what I'm having right now.

That sounds absolutely delicious!
  • Jessastar
    Options
    If you decide egg and tortilla are fine, there is a brand of frozen, all natural, no nitrates, breakfast burrito that is sold at Target or other stores. The brand is called Good Food Made Simple and at target they are only $1.89 which is a steal of a deal. They have both egg white and regular egg types. I'm very conscious of eating pretty clean and these taste really good.

I'll check it out the next time I can! Thank you! :)
  • FitnessMastered
    Options
    You can also try protein pancakes. You can make big batches of them and store them in the fridge. Then just heat them up for a few seconds in the microwave. This is a really simple recipe but you can play around with it and add berries, nuts or seeds. Just be careful with the calorie content when adding nuts!!

Protein Pancakes
    3/4 cup rolled oats
    4 egg whites
    1 scoop protein powder (I like BioTrust)
    cinnamon to taste
    non-stick cooking spray

Just mix everything and let stand for 5-10 minutes. Cook until lightly browned and set. I like to top with Greek yogurt or a bit of natural peanut butter.

Let me know what you think!!
  • Jessastar
    Options
    And keeping tetra packs of soy milk will definitely help the "out of milk" problem.

But yea, yogurt is a great alternative to milk. It's more filling, has good protein and fat (not fat free yogurt, please) and tastes great with fruit and cereal.

Hm I actually never heard of yogurt being an alternative to milk. Thanks so much for sharing. :)
  • Jessastar
    Options
    Yea. I mean who eats breakfast for breakfast these days anyway? It's, like, so last fall.

Honestly though - leftovers are an amazing, healthy way to get in some food in the morning if you aren't too picky. I went through a phase where I had rice w/ hot sauce every morning and some steamed veg for breakfast. It's all personal preference.

Haha. That actually sounds really good!