Oh good god I just binged

Options
Ok... so the past few days I have been eating more, perhaps more than I have in a long time, I recently upped my calories to 1430 from 1300 ( ... let's say in the past year, I've mostly done 1200, went through a rough stage of 800, then 1000, then nothing, then 1200 again xD so 1430 is the highest since I started dieting, that's mainly because I'm nearer to my goal) ANYWAY since I did that about a week ago I have been insanely hungry and just eating more than I would like to even though it's more than I'm used to... wth!? then if you look at my last diary entry..... 2000+ calories, I totally snapped even though I've been eating a healthy amount.... a lot of it wasn't even healthy and now I just feel like **** =.= so close to christmas whyyyy and I kept eating even though I knew I was full and I would have carried on even further if I didn't chug 3 huge glasses of water... just why did I do this, I'm scared that it will happen again since my will power has been surprisingly low lately :( rant over...

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I had a long day. I was tired, stressed, and worn out. I just ate a load of delicious food (over my daily calorie limit) and now I feel much better. Do I feel guilty? Nope. Did I instantly gain back all the weight I lost? Nope. Will I? Nope.

Sometimes it just happens. Accept it and move on! You'll be fine.
  • losingwhatican
    losingwhatican Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You've restricted for such a long time, and have done so well recently! Honestly, the only way I can make it through a single week is knowing I have a reward meal waiting for me every Saturday, where calories don't matter. It takes a lot of emotional and mental energy to restrict calories (for me, anyway), and sometimes the day has just been too long, or too hard, or I'm stressed or sad. The floodgates open, I eat a lot, the pressure is released, and I'm ready to go again the next day.

I'm sorry you feel so awful afterward, but I hope you can keep this in perspective! Cut yourself some slack - maybe plan in some reward meals for the next few weeks to keep your willpower up. You deserve to take care of yourself, eat delicious food, and feel good about what you put in your body.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    The two posters above me = Hit that old nail right on the head.

Just relax. Today is over. Tomorrow starts anew.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    Hah sorry, I was being erratic... I suppose I panicked a little... XD also to the second poster, omfg I love adventure time <3:)
    but yes, I have decided to just eat light and healthy and drink lots of water for damage control today, freak out is over =.=
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    This is obvious that your body is starving for food. The more you restrict your calories to unsustainable measures the more likely you are going to "binge." You can still lose weight eating 2000 calories as long as you eat a deficit.

Edit: You are 5'5 and you want to get down to 110lbs? I am 5'4.5 and if I venture below 115 I am considered underweight. Honestly this sounds like the beginning of an eating disorder. Please reevaluate your goals because they do not seem healthy.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Hah sorry, I was being erratic... I suppose I panicked a little... XD also to the second poster, omfg I love adventure time <3:)
    but yes, I have decided to just eat light and healthy and drink lots of water for damage control today, freak out is over =.=

Just go back to your normal 1430 and regular exercise. No need to try to fix or over compensate. You'll be fine if the "binge" was only limited to a couple days.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    you did not binge

you probably ate at maintenance.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

dont eat less than your normal 1430 to 'compensate' or you are just setting yourself up for a starve binge cycle.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    you did not binge

^this.
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Keep a sign handy on the fridge and in your office.

"THIS BODY HAS HAD ___________ DAYS WITHOUT A BINGE"

Start at "0".
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    when i binge it's like a whole pecan pie after a large pizza after eating like crap all day....you people are amateurs...

in all seriousness, you're ok. I agree with "you probably ate at maintenance".
  • MaryJane_8810002
    Options
    you did not binge

She did not binge, her body is obviously trying to make up for the amount of food she is not eating. We haven't even factored in if she is exercising and eating the calories back. She may not even be netting 1200 each day.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    you did not binge

Yep. Most likely. And since I've put this on the boards a few times the past month, I finally smartened up and saved it. I'll post it here, too.

A lb of fat equates to approximately 3500 Calories. To lose 1 lb of fat in one week, we need a 500 Calorie per day deficit (7 x 500 = 3500).

If you eat @ that 500 Calorie deficit for 6 days, you are at a weekly deficit of 3000 Calories.

If you "cheat" and end up eating maintenance Calories (no deficit, but not @ surplus) for one day, you keep that 3000 Calorie weekly deficit. This means you can expect to lose 0.86 lbs that week.

If you "cheat" and end up eating a 500 Calorie surplus for one day, you now have a 2500 Calorie weekly deficit. This means you can expect to lose 0.71 lbs that week.

In both cases, you'll likely lose more than 1/2 lb of fat that week. Not bad, right? Maybe not as much as you hoped, but it's progress in the right direction. And that’s what’s really important.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Technically speaking, I don't think 2000 calories is considered a binge. 2000+ at one time above what you normally ate, maybe. Your relationship with food sounds really bad right now, and given how you've restricted over the past year, it may be time to see your doctor and get an objective look at your diet and your overall health.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    Options
    Technically speaking, I don't think 2000 calories is considered a binge. 2000+ at one time above what you normally ate, maybe. Your relationship with food sounds really bad right now, and given how you've restricted over the past year, it may be time to see your doctor and get an objective look at your diet and your overall health.

This!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    2000 calories is not a binge. You just totally overate. Give yourself a break once in awhile. Being so stressed about it is making you miserable about food. =(
  • genbatts
    Options
    I have been binging a lot lately as well, and I know it is because I restricted calories for so long. My problem is that I don't eat much during the day, and when its time for dinner I just shovel food in my mouth.. sometimes going 3000+ calories. During the binge I always think I will make up for it the next day (with exercise and less calories) but that doesn't always happen. It has become a vicious cycle.

I wake up most mornings thinking "why did I do that??"

It is hard to break the habit, but I've come this far and I know I can do it. It is nice having blogs for support.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

This!

agreed!
  • ajstacey
    ajstacey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If I have a bad day I remember that it's not how many calories I eat in a day, it's how many I consume throughout the week.
    So, get back on track today, log everything and fit in a good exercise, ALL GOOD.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    ... let's say in the past year, I've mostly done 1200, went through a rough stage of 800, then 1000, then nothing, then 1200 again xD so 1430 is the highest since I started dieting, that's mainly because I'm nearer to my goal

Bolding is mine.

I think you need some more assistance than this place can offer. Eating nothing is the very definition of disordered eating.