New and having problems. Please help me.

Options
Hello all,

I have been losing weight at the rate of two pounds per week for 4 weeks then all of a sudden, the weight loss stops and I have not lost any for almost two weeks now. I don't know what to do and am afraid of lowering my calories. I fear if I do I will go into starvation mode. Has anyone else gone through this? Please Help!!

Replies

• MomisgettingFIT
    Options
    Changing your workout routines often will help you achieve your fitness goals faster
  • maryellengallagher
    Options
    I was having that problem, too...only for 6 months instead of 2 weeks. I switched my diet around and removed all grains (on the advice of my nutritionist) for a month. The weight really started coming off again. I just needed to jump-start the system again.
  • Roobean33
    Options
    When I was dieting for my wedding, I hit a plateau where I didn't lose any significant amount of weight for a few weeks. I was getting frustrated because I was working out pretty regularly as well. Then, at last, I lost like 4 pounds in a week. So, stick with it!!!
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking 64 oz or more of water every day? :drinker:
    Your body is just fighting you, switch things up, do some things different..... its like throwing your body a curve ball!!
    Don't give up...... You've come too far already!! :bigsmile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    Hi! Have you read all the sticky posts in the forum? Lots of great advice there.

Here are a couple good ones:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits (Jul 09 Banks)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations (Mar 08 Banks)
  • Madre2
    Madre2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I have been losing weight at the rate of two pounds per week for 4 weeks then all of a sudden, the weight loss stops and I have not lost any for almost two weeks now. I don't know what to do and am afraid of lowering my calories. I fear if I do I will go into starvation mode. Has anyone else gone through this? Please Help!!

I've always read that you are supposed to "trick" your muscles by switching up your workout routine. For instance, if you walked today, tomorrow you should try to swim, bike or weight train. That might get you going again.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    are you exercising? are you eating your exercise calories? are you tracking sodium? are you eating fast food a lot or cooking meals? are you entering every single spice you use as well as cooking oil? are you drinking at least 1/2 hour body weight in ounces of water? Lots of reasons for a stall in weight loss/plateau sometimes. If you UP your calories you may start losing. If you are exercising and not eating those calories your body may think you are starving it. The site here builds in a calorie deficit already and you should therefore eat at least some of your exercise calories in order to continue to lose weight. I have had a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of work out + eat more calories = weight loss but it's working. I joined September 1, 2010 and have lost almost 21 lbs. I eat almost all of my exercise calories and rarely eat out. I also quit drinking ;) well as much as I used to. But that has a lot to do with it as well.

If you don't have your food diary open, open it up so we can take a look see (I don't know if it's open to friends only if it is, add me). I am not a nutrionist but I have been doing pretty well here and helping others who stall pretty successfully.
  • Hollisterrps
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas.
  • laura230972
    Options
    I would advise to keep going and you will find that suddenly the weight comes off again. You were losing before at a good and sensible rate so I wouldn't change too much, i think switching your exercise around is a good idea, but other than that keep going for a while longer, and see what happens in another couple of weeks. Its annoying but it happens to a lot of dieters...you're not alone!