Squats question...

Options
I want to start doing them, and have tried in the past but always gave up. I've done some reading & from what I can tell, your supposed to feel the tension at the back of your legs and in your glutes, hence the point of doing them. When I try to do them, I feel ALL the strain in the top of my legs and nothing below, so I give up. What am I doing wrong? These are probably the one thing I avoid doing the most in my routines, although I know I should be including them. Suggestions?

Replies

• fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30 day squat challenge and I feel the strain all over lol but I have to modify them to suit me due to hip and flexibility issues.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Squat Therapy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9USQl7eLGMY

Is a perfect way to start so that you get your form right and for you to know what your body is supposed to feel like for when you get in the rack or cage.
  • BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    ^^ Thanks! I will check it out when I get home later! Cant really get away with watching youtube at work, lol Hopefully it will help!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    How deep are you squatting? You are supposed to feel them in your quads, as well as your hammies and glutes. A wider or more narrow stance will change the feeling, too. (I prefer a wider stance, personally.)
  • koos22
    koos22 Posts: 22
    Options
    Push up with your heels, not your toes. Keep your back straight :) Squats are so beneficial. Good luck.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    The hamstrings and glutes aren't heavily activated until you go down as low as you can, and stop standing up with your toes.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    as long as your weight is in your heels the whole time and you keep your chest as upright as possible, you're probably not doing anything wrong. I primarily feel it in my quads as well. don't give up on the squats...squating is like breathing! so good for you
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The hamstrings and glutes aren't heavily activated until you go down as low as you can, and stop standing up with your toes.
    and this...make sure your butt is going below your knee. *kitten* to grass!
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    bump! just started doing these, & I have the same problem--- feel it all in my knees, & the tops of my thighs. Maybe it's the toe-standing thing...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Keep your chest up and push your butt back. Use your heels, not your whole foot to push up. You do not need to go all the way down to engage your glutes and hamstrings.

I used this program to improve my squats: www.twohundredsquats.com
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Look look, seriously, search "So you think you can squat?" on YouTube. It's a video on squatting from a pro who lifted 1,000 lbs... so he knows his ****.

After that, come back for suggestions, so you don't just get confused without knowing the basics.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Back squats will "target" quads until your hip joint drops below your knee joint. If everything looks right form-wise and it's comfortable, don't worry about it.

Most people will find their quads are weaker than their hammies and glutes when they begin strength training, once you've been training for a bit you'll probably find the soreness becomes a bit more universal.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Squats will hit your entire leg and hip area, not to mention a host of other body parts, in some fashion. Doing them in one way can have an impact on which area of the leg feels it the most. However, the way you squat should have more to do with safety than with which muscles you're hitting.

I've heard a lot of people say, "I don't squat because it hurts my knees". To that I would respond, "How YOU squat hurts YOUR knees". My knees feel best when I squat; they actually start to feel stiff and achy when I leave squats out of my routine.

As for how to squat, you'll need to look around and experiment a bit to see which form of squatting works best for you. Here is a good place to start:

http://www.stumptuous.com/dork-diva-squat

Squatting in extreme positions is not recommended; your knees or other joints will likely suffer. It is important to remember that the squat is not just a leg exercise; it is a total body exercise. Engage as many muscles as possible.

I recommend not trying to squat using only your legs, a particular part of your legs or to feel it in certain areas.. Stick your hips (butt) back as if you're sitting in a chair, keep your back in a straight line (not to be confused with a vertical orientation; just a straight spine), keep your shoulders at a higher level than your hips at all times. Do not let your knees bow inwards or outwards; keep them in line with your feet, which should be about shoulder width apart and your toes pointed outward ( \ / ) with about a 30 degree arc between both feet.

Do not just allow yourself to "drop" into the squat position and do not bounce at the bottom to get back up. Practice pulling yourself into the bottom position, going as low as comfortable while maintaining muscle tension, then come back up through the combined effort of all the muscles of your body-quads, hamstrings, calves, back, arms, etc. Stay tight through the entire movement.

Again, don't worry about where you are feeling it. Make sure you are squatting safely - your muscles will feel it where they should.

Be cautious from whom you seek squatting advice. This pretty much goes for most any heavy exercise. Some people do some really dumb things because that's what the read was being done by someone else.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    I felt the tension in my quads when my form was bad due to hinging on my knee - this ended up being because I wasn't going low enough (inflexibility of hip, ltband, and knee pain) - but once you go low enough your posterior chain definitely engages on the way back up. Lots.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Use a chair and go down as if you are about to sit in it but just the edge of the char and then come back up and repeat. When you come up squeeze your glutes for maximum burn. You can also look at youtube videos and images on yahoo reagrding squatting form. :flowerforyou:
  • tkdgirlms
    Options
    I do taekwondo and this is what we say about squats - Feet at shoulder width apart (or more, depending on how deep a squat you do), toes pointing forward (NEVER out) and squat like you're sitting in a chair with your back straight. Make sure your knees are 'pushing' out and not in or you could hurt your knees and strain muscles - it helps to feel pressure on the outer edge of your feet as you are doing them. The lower you go, the wider your stance should be in order to avoid injury and too much pressure on the knees.
  • BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think im doing two of the things mentioned wrong, on my toes & not deep enough. It's been quite awhile since I've tried them last. Tops of my legs hurt so bad the next day had a hard time walking normal.
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
  • CrossFitSandra
    Options
    Feet shoulder-width or wider apart, toes pointed straight forward, keep outward pressure on your knees as you go down, hip crease below knee crease at the bottom of the squat, lift your toes as you come back up (keeps your weight in your heels), rinse, repeat.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    By and large, your quads do most of the work in the squat. Just make sure your form is right (read Starting Strength for more detail than you ever though you needed), and wait untill the weight gets heavy. You'll eventually feel it everywhere.

Also, not much in your hamstrings (back of leg), especially relative to your other muscle groups.