Painful Tailbone

Options
I think I must've lost all the cushioning on my tailbone... I can't hardly sit at work all day anymore because my tailbone starts hurting so bad... aching.

I hurt it in highschool - never saw a dr about it, but pretty sure i chipped or fractured it. It has always bothered me during my pregnancies, but I actually haven't had any tailbone pain in quite awhile (unless I have to sit in a hard chair for a long time or ride a bike, etc). But I lost some poundage over the last week, due to being sick and now my tailbone has been hurting in the afternoon (after sitting at my desk most of the day). Do you think that I lost the fat that was probably cushioning it?

Does this mean being skinny is painful??? ugh... i hope not, it's annoying. I hate tailbone pain!

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    cushion
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    When I was in my early 30s I lost 105 pounds. I got what I called my Princess Monkey Tail. Exactly what you're talking about. The doctor said I did indeed lose my padding. When I gained this 40 back the pain went away. But now my Princess Monkey Tail is coming back.
  • totaltexan
    totaltexan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    I don't think losing weight would affect your tailbone that much.
    I too have tailbone pain if I sit in a hard (sometimes even not much cushioned) chairs. At first my doctor said it was probably bruised, even though I don't ever remember doing anything to bruise it. Then a few months later, when it did not get any better, he suggested that it could be deferred pain from my lower back. I thought that sounded crazy. Well, I had steroid shots in my back and tailbone area and the pain in the tailbone was completely gone. Now, of course the shots have worn off and it is slowly coming back. That's just my story but if you have any lower back issue maybe it's the same for you.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    When I was in my early 30s I lost 105 pounds. I got what I called my Princess Monkey Tail. Exactly what you're talking about. The doctor said I did indeed lose my padding. When I gained this 40 back the pain went away. But now my Princess Monkey Tail is coming back.

thanks, i've only lost 8 lbs! guess i didn't have much fat there to begin with, probably just enough...and now it's gone for good.... what to do what to do.... maybe i should get a cushion.

screw you stupid highschool boy that pulled me into a pool while i was sitting on the edge.... i never did like you!
  • briteyes
    Options
    Hello.
    I don't think losing weight would affect your tailbone that much.
    I too have tailbone pain if I sit in a hard (sometimes even not much cushioned) chairs. At first my doctor said it was probably bruised, even though I don't ever remember doing anything to bruise it. Then a few months later, when it did not get any better, he suggested that it could be deferred pain from my lower back. I thought that sounded crazy. Well, I had steroid shots in my back and tailbone area and the pain in the tailbone was completely gone. Now, of course the shots have worn off and it is slowly coming back. That's just my story but if you have any lower back issue maybe it's the same for you.

thanks, but i don't have any lower back problems. and i haven't recently injured myself that I can recall.
  • spikess
    spikess Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i've found my tail bone too, and i want it to go away!! sometimes...if i move in my chair, i swear i feel it wiggle. i'm hoping to lose another 30lbs so i really hope this thing can't get any more pointy!
  • briteyes
    Options
    and i just love that the ads at the top of the page are giving me suggestions for cushions and mattresses :D i already have the tempur-pedic
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yep, I lost 45 lbs in my 20s and then we went to a carnival. My tail bone hurt so bad after that. I guess eventually you toughen it up.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I chipped my tailbone aged 8 and its only since i've put the weight on that I can sit on a hard chair and even then not for long. I guess the extra padding on my butt raises me just enough to stop constant pressure. In my skinny days sitting on hard surfaces killed, pregnancy was agony, even standing for prolonged periods was painful...just at the very tip. I don't have any other back issues, just the tailbone.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options

Princess Monkey Tail. LOL! Sound like the latest Disney heroine.