sweet spot

Options
This is more of a survey, than asking for advice...

Do you have a "sweet spot" that works best for you regarding weight loss?

I have found that I lose weight better when I burn around 2000 and eat 15-1600. When I'm sedentary, I only burn about 1300 calories (I'm pretty small...) So the losses have to do with the cardio it takes to get me to that level of burn...On an average day if I'm not trying to get my burn to that level, I burn 16-1800 and eat 1200-1400...The same deficit, but the weight seems to melt off when I can get a higher burn.

When I'm super busy, and my burn is higher - over 2200, and I eat at the same deficit, it slows down again.

Replies

• JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Interesting...
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I don't pay anywhere near enough attention to the number of calories I've burned. However, I have noticed that on days I do cardio only, my appetite is more suppressed (than on days I don't work out when I eat more). I have also noticed that my appetite spikes in general when I have been lifting weights, regardless of if I worked out that day.

So, what would my sweet spot be? Probably a combo of cardio and weights 4x/week. I haven't been exercising lately (as in, for the past two months), which is just awful. I've been lucky my weight has more or less stayed the same. Time to get going again with my sweet spot in mind!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many calories I burn in a day, but I seem to lose the best and healthiest (1-1.5 a week) when I'm at 1700-1800 calories and burn 500-600 calories in intentional exercise.
  • vicelike
    Options
    This is consistent with a view that the estimate of calorie burn is not accurate. In fact, the benefit from the first 200 calories of "activity burn" ie, the higher metabolic rate needed to support areobic type exercise is more valuable than the next 200 and so on.

This might be caused by the one time boost that the move from no exercise to exercise has on your metabolism after you stop.

So the chart might look something like this:

Exercise Phase Immediate benefit Residual Benefit Total Real Benefit

Sedentary 0 0 0
    Initial workout 200 100 300
    harder workout 400 100 500