Adding free weights to my workout but feel intimidated

Options
So I want to do free weights because I'm told it's a better workout then the machines. I feel very intimidated for 1.) there are hardly ever any women in that section and 2.) I'm not exactly sure what to do or where to start. I love weights sooo much more then cardio. Getting bored with the machines. Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Well you do machines now right? So just take dumbbells or barbell and repeat same movement. If you do leg press on machine do squats, if you do shoulder press machine do same movement with dumbbells or barbel, etc.

That being said, if you work out just for looks then you might as well be doing just machines. You will not be as strong in situations where you will need to lift something but you will still look good and be decently strong. The benefit of free weights is that you will be stronger and you work out more muscles at once not just isolate them. But you don't have to do it if you don't want to.
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just read "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women". Its a quick read and has a great program that is easy to follow. Even if you don't want to follow the program exactly, it has lots of good info on lifts and form.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I just read "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women". Its a quick read and has a great program that is easy to follow. Even if you don't want to follow the program exactly, it has lots of good info on lifts and form.

Absolutely, step one to having more confidence in the gym, is knowing what you're doing and New Rules is an excellent book. Step two, is just doing it.

Listen, I can promise you that the men in that section don't care that you're there, except maybe to check you out here and there. Speaking as a man, you have nothing to worry about being a woman in that section. Just learn to ask "how many sets do you have left?" and be cool to the other lifters.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. All of us started at the same place. All it takes is that first step and you'll get the hang of it.

Two things you can consider to make it a better experience:
    1) Read up on different programs and pick one you think fits your goals (NRWLFW, Stonglifts, etc.).
    2) Hire a personal trainer to put you on a program and teach you how to do the lifts properly.

I can't stress enough how important it is to learn proper form for the lifts. An injury can set you back.

Enjoy!
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Seconding what FrnkLft said.
    Just starting to move from machines to weights myself, so I know the feeling. Those folks over there all the time know what they are doing, where as I am the clueless newbie, but hey, they were once just like me.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the absence of women in that section. Just go over there and do your thing. If you are unsure about something, just ask. You are probably better off in that section anyway... Haven't you seen that guy on the elliptical, doing a minimal amount of work for an hour. Drooling uncontrollably and wearing really baggy sweatpants.
  • dizchic77
    dizchic77 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ewwww lol
  • dizchic77
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. :)
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

THIS:smile:
  • rachaelbarton
    rachaelbarton Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Pinterest it up baby! There are tons of small tutorials under Health and Fitness. Simple and easy for a first-timer. I would recommend starting with some smaller dumbbells at home and walking through the exercises, and then once you feel a little more comfortable graduating to trying them at the gym in front of the mirrors (while grunting loudly of course).
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I was new to lifting and everyone told me to read that but I really really really hate reading things that don't hold my attention... and don't have time so I downloaded the body space app and started doing the jamie eason 12 week live fit plan. It has a tiny bit of machine exercises but it shows pics and videos of each exercise and guides you as you workout. I love it! Just finished week 3 :)
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I can see how one would feel intimidated but you just have to suck it up and do it. Read material from accredited sources... MFP not being one... HA!!! Possibly ask someone that you know that does lift for some help / advise. Join a group that has your same goals. Do your research before you head down that path. Injuries are a bish to recover from.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Absolutely, step one to having more confidence in the gym, is knowing what you're doing and New Rules is an excellent book. Step two, is just doing it.

Listen, I can promise you that the men in that section don't care that you're there, except maybe to check you out here and there. Speaking as a man, you have nothing to worry about being a woman in that section. Just learn to ask "how many sets do you have left?" and be cool to the other lifters.

Both of these.
    Borrow New Rules from the library.
    It is a somewhat complicated program but I suggest you still read the book.

Look into Starting Strength and Stronglifts for simpler programs especially if you don't have a fully equipped gym (New Rules requires a lot of equipment in later stages)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    So I want to do free weights because I'm told it's a better workout then the machines. I feel very intimidated for 1.) there are hardly ever any women in that section and 2.) I'm not exactly sure what to do or where to start. I love weights sooo much more then cardio. Getting bored with the machines. Thanks for any advice.

For me, the BEST thing I ever did was hire a trainer for a "few" sessions to help me switch over to free weights. I loved it so much I saw him 1-2x a week for six months!

I was intimidated at first too...but now I don't pay any attention to the guys. I was telling a (male) friend a few weeks ago that I very rarely see anyone in the squat rack at *my* time. He said the guys are in awe of my awesomeness and choose to stay away :) The big muscle guys smile and nod at me as they walk by...and a few weeks ago a guy actually offered to leave the squat rack ( where he was doing heavy barbell shrugs), so I could do my squats--then he set it up for me!
  • foxgl0ve
    foxgl0ve Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women Program. The book includes pictures of all of the exercises and proper form, and it is designed for beginners. There are lots of other programs out there that I'm sure are equally great, but I am familiar with this one, and found it to be a good starting point for me.
    A couple of notes not in the book:

You may find your are a trendsetter: every month I see more and more women in the free weight section of my gym. There used to be none. Sometimes all it takes is one or two women to break the barrier, and others will come. Fortune favors the brave!

Those dudes aren't just loitering around the machines: Most workouts require a rest between sets. Wait until they look done, and then just politely ask if they are finished. Take all your weights off the barbell when you are done. Mop up any sweat. I do wish the NROLFW book had included an etiquette section. My first few workouts took forever because I was scared to go near any equipment that had a man within 8 ft. of it.

Good Luck!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If it helps, a lot of guys feel the same way. Once you take the first step and pick up a bar, things get easier.
  • dizchic77
    Options
    If it helps, a lot of guys feel the same way. Once you take the first step and pick up a bar, things get easier.

Yes it does. Thanks.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Yes it does. Thanks.

Oh, yeah absolutely. I have no qualms about the gym now, but yeah it was intimidating the first time I went in.

It only got easier for me once I got on a program that I understood. In fact, now I look at the other guys and wonder wtf they're doing.

They might look like they know what their doing, but about 70% of them just googled a routine and show up for a pump like a bunch of idiots.
  • PurePlaya2000
    PurePlaya2000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

all you have to do is just go over there with an attitude that i belong, and i am going to do my thing :)
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Yes it does. Thanks.

Oh, yeah absolutely. I have no qualms about the gym now, but yeah it was intimidating the first time I went in.

It only got easier for me once I got on a program that I understood. In fact, now I look at the other guys and wonder wtf they're doing.

They might look like they know what their doing, but about 70% of them just googled a routine and show up for a pump like a bunch of idiots.

I never fail to be amazed by how many guys can all be doing dumbell curls at the same time.

Do some research, have a plan, go in and lift and within a couple of weeks you'll be wondering WTF 90% of the people in that area are trying to accomplish.