Small as I will ever be?

Options
Yesterday, when I was discussing my weight loss/gain history, I had and "Oh" moment, in which I realized that I'm 5 lbs. away from being 125 lbs., which is the smallest I've been since I was 13 years old. Never being a slender kid, but never chubby, either, I began to think: What if this IS as small as I can get without really drastic measures? Now, I recognize that I CAN exercise more (I only walk 1-3 miles daily, in addition to regular activity) and that will allow me to be a tad more compact, but is it really realistic that we can all be slim? Or, more directly, is it realistic that I can be significantly slimmer?

Now, I'm NOT ready to give up, yet, but I don't want to seek something that I'm truly not capable of achieving. Regardless, of everything, I want to maintain the size that I am, if I am where I need to be.

Ladies, with similar body types, got any advice?

Replies

• loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft tall and currently 122 and hoping to get to 115...still got in the back of my head that when I was younger (much younger) I was 106..but I couldnt maintain that and Im not sure it is my body type to be that small...sooooooo because I am frustrated I think..maybe this is it..but I KNOW it is not..I may not lose much more weight but I can get a hard rockin' bod with continued heavy lifting (bumping it up a bit)..so whereas you may not make alot more gains as far as loss..you can get stronger and chiseled...hope that helps! :)
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You don't state what your body type is for us to compare. Are you 125 at 5'0 or at 6'0?

Currently I'm 125 at 5'0. I would LOOOOVE to get to 110, but I realized that to maintain at 110 I have to exercise daily and drastically decrease calories. I maintain pretty steady at 125 while eating what I want in moderation, working out 3-5 days a week and eating healthy 70% of the time. I would rather compromise and be comfortable at this weight than kill to maintain at a lighter weight, just for vanity reasons.

I lift, I'm healthy, I compete in long-distance runs... I just need to learn to be comfortable with where I am. I'm now more focusing on putting strength into my lifts than I am on losing weight.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Height? Frame?

I'm 5'4" and currently 115lb ..the smallest I've been was 98lbs but don't care to be there. My really happy weight would be 110lbs but I'm fine at 115lbs ...focusing on toning and losing inches rather than weight.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I don't get any leaner without cutting calories lower or exercising more than I already do. I am not willing to do more so I guess this is as good as it is going to get.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You don't state what your body type is for us to compare. Are you 125 at 5'0 or at 6'0?

Currently I'm 125 at 5'0. I would LOOOOVE to get to 110, but I realized that to maintain at 110 I have to exercise daily and drastically decrease calories. I maintain pretty steady at 125 while eating what I want in moderation, working out 3-5 days a week and eating healthy 70% of the time. I would rather compromise and be comfortable at this weight than kill to maintain at a lighter weight, just for vanity reasons.

I lift, I'm healthy, I compete in long-distance runs... I just need to learn to be comfortable with where I am. I'm now more focusing on putting strength into my lifts than I am on losing weight.

SORRY! I didn't realize that my pics were private. I changed my profile pic. I was about 135 lbs. in the "after" shot. I am 5'2".
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3'' (and 3/4, but i prefer to think of myself as shorter than I am). Even calling it 5'4" my meaurments (wrist, elbow etc..) fall into a "large" body frame. I am currently 145lbs and am content here. I am working to get to 140, with an ultimate goal of 135- but I also question how realistic that is for me. At the height of my fitness (in HS when I was active in gymnastics) I weighed about 140lbs so that seems to be my "smallest". Now that I am in a healthy BMI range that number on the scale is less and less important, and what matter more is body comp and how I feel.
    Dont worry too much about that scale.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, when I was discussing my weight loss/gain history, I had and "Oh" moment, in which I realized that I'm 5 lbs. away from being 125 lbs., which is the smallest I've been since I was 13 years old. Never being a slender kid, but never chubby, either, I began to think: What if this IS as small as I can get without really drastic measures? Now, I recognize that I CAN exercise more (I only walk 1-3 miles daily, in addition to regular activity) and that will allow me to be a tad more compact, but is it really realistic that we can all be slim? Or, more directly, is it realistic that I can be significantly slimmer?

Now, I'm NOT ready to give up, yet, but I don't want to seek something that I'm truly not capable of achieving. Regardless, of everything, I want to maintain the size that I am, if I am where I need to be.

I'm 35 yrs old and am the thinnest I've ever been, by over 20lbs now. I've also had three kids. I didn't do anything drastic to get to this point, just counted calories and added a bit of walking, then running towards the end. I had a goal weight in mind (135lbs) and after I hit that I realized I wasn't where I wanted to be yet so I just kept at it :)

My stats:

35 yrs old, 5ft, 6 in
    My weight for years was 130-140lbs
    After my third pregnancy I started gaining weight. High weight last fall 175lbs/size 14 jeans
    CW, as of this morning, 117.5lbs/size loose 2 jeans.

Never ever thought I'd be where I am now, but I'm loving it!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    What does "body type" even mean? Your body type is just the weight you're used to. Any body can be any weight within health limits. You can lose as much weight as you want. Calorie deficit doesn't suddenly stop working because your body has decided it doesn't want you to be thinner. Your "body type" is all in your head, because you were overweight as a teen. But your weight as an adult is purely a function of your calorie management, not "body type".
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

When you were 13 you probably didn't really have hips or boobs, so I wouldn't use that as a reference point to be honest... Some strength/resistance training would probably change your shape a fair bit and make you a lot more 'compact'
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    What does "body type" even mean? Your body type is just the weight you're used to. Any body can be any weight within health limits. You can lose as much weight as you want. Calorie deficit doesn't suddenly stop working because your body has decided it doesn't want you to be thinner. Your "body type" is all in your head, because you were overweight as a teen. But your weight as an adult is purely a function of your calorie management, not "body type".

We really need a Like button on here!

For years after my first daughter was born I was convinced that my body wouldn't let be get below 138lbs...then after my second daughter I told myself that by body wouldn't let me get below 145lbs. Well guess what, I'm at 136 right now. It's amazing how we manage to convince ourselves that we are not in control of our own bodies! lol

I don't have a specific number per say that I want to hit right now, more of a shape that I want to achieve. I'm dealing with some loose skin and some stubborn fatty areas so I'm now just slowly working away at them.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When you were 13 you probably didn't really have hips or boobs, so I wouldn't use that as a reference point to be honest... Some strength/resistance training would probably change your shape a fair bit and make you a lot more 'compact'

True. A lot of women don't think this way because we're so used to focusing on body weight but it's not the be-all-end-all. Body composition is more about how you look. So if you want to be a bit more toned, compact, however you want to refer to it, you may want to try to incorporate more strength training into your exercise routine.

read more here:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" with a pear-shaped body and a small frame, for reference. I have been stuck at ~110 pounds for three months and I, too, have felt like I've reached a plateau. It's like my body doesn't like going lower than this. I definitely keep in the back of my mind my lowest weight (yes, when I was 13...I know--unrealistic) was 102 pounds and how I felt so effortless and confident in that body at that weight.

I refuse to accept the plateau. At least for now. I figure that I'm 23 and I should be able to get my body to wherever I want it to be with enough dedication! Good luck, everyone!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Big butt, hips, and thighs. J-Lo, Kim Kardashian, etc. ring a bell? I'm the stumpy version and not nearly as cute. That's the body type.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Actually, I got stretch marks on my breasts and hips at 12/13 when I hit puberty, because I grew that fast. I was a C-cup in 7th grade, but I definitely had better muscle definition then (as one would expect).

I hope you are right about the toning. Hell, what am I talking about? Toned would be a helluva lot better than status quo. That's what I need to hear, right now, too. I'm not "there," yet; I can still look better. Thank you!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

True. A lot of women don't think this way because we're so used to focusing on body weight but it's not the be-all-end-all. Body composition is more about how you look. So if you want to be a bit more toned, compact, however you want to refer to it, you may want to try to incorporate more strength training into your exercise routine.

read more here:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Thank you for this!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

It's amazing how we manage to convince ourselves that we are not in control of our own bodies! lol

You're right. Thank you!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Ok, I'm "hearing" you, now. Sure. My hips will never go away, but I still have pounds to shave, if I want to, and they'll be more attractive toned, as well. Yep.

Thank you for that.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

^^^THIS! And end thread.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Years ago I read a magazine article (in Fitness or Shape or something of that sort) that profiled a handful of women that spent years maintaining a weight in the low-to-mid end of their healthy weight range, but found that they were happier maintaining a weight 5-10 pounds higher, but still healthy. The level of exercise and the amount of food restriction that was required for them to maintain a low weight was taking the fun out of life. It all depends on how much you enjoy exercise and how often you want to indulge on food.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

^^^THIS! And end thread.

^^See above responses. :wink: