What to do when you hit a Plateau

Options
Hi,
I stared my weight loss goal on oct 2oth 2013 at 360pounds and since then I have givin up all sweets, soda, and fast food. and now do brisk walking 5 days a week for 40-45mins. I am now down to 320pounds as of today dec 6th 2013

I see a lot of people hit what is called a Plateau?? and wanted to fine out what it is and how to stop it! I want to lose another 30 pounds before may and most of you said I should not have any trouble doing that but now I am scared that I will too hit this so called Plateau, and that will not let me get down to 290 by may! so if I do hit this what can I do to overcome it or stop it.

thanks chris.

Replies

• briandahawaiian
    briandahawaiian Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    incorporate strength strength training into your routine at least 3x a week you can still do the cardio too. eat back workout cals, make sure to get rest, rinse, repeat!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A plateau is generally defined as 4-6 weeks without a loss. They can be caused by a number of things, but usually they're the result of an inaccuracy somewhere. Accurately log your food every day, measure your portion sizes, be realistic if you're eating back exercise calories, and recalculate your goal calories every ten pounds. That will take care of many of the reasons people stop losing.
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If your weight stalls, try switching things up , change your work out routine a little , and also try out new different healthy foods so you don't become used to the same old thing. I also up my water intake. Try to follow the calorie suggestion MFP or your doctor gave to you, and eat your exercise calories back. Don't forget to update your weight relatively frequently so MFP will adjust how many cals you should be aiming for.

good luck on your journey :)
  • Triciad811
    Triciad811 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I change exercise or intensity
  • helpme8319
    Options
    Thanks! I will keep that in mind, As of now My doctor has told me not to do any weight lifting until I drop a good amount of pounds, as I did try weight lifting about a month ago and ended up in the hospital. as I torn a ligament and they said the next time I tare it I will need an operation to fit it. so I could not walk for a good 2 weeks until it got better.

I just hope I do not stop losing!
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about a plateau until it hits. Frankly, for 300ish pounders (and I experienced this firsthand) there's enough weight to lose that a "stall" isn't likely to happen for quite some time.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just continue what your doing as it's working no point stressing about it before it happens. If you get a stall have a little patience.