Eggplant??

Options
The grocery next to me has eggplant for $.89/# and I'm thinking that that might be something that I want to try. Anyone have any suggestions on GOOD healthy ways to cook them?

Replies

• Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Slice it into 1/2 rings, dip in egg and bread crumbs and bake...top with tomato sauce and mozarella cheese - eggplant parm. YUMMMMM
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Ratatouille is a favorite around here... basically a vegetable stew that has eggplant, green peppers, tomatoes, onions, garlic, a little olive oil and some seasonings. Lots of recipes on the 'net. I don't have a specific one I use, I just grab one that looks good at the moment. (HINT: Google "Ratatouille recipe" otherwise, you'll get a ton of hits for a movie about a rodent. :happy:
  • mrsovernite
    mrsovernite Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Slice it into 1/2 rings, dip in egg and bread crumbs and bake...top with tomato sauce and mozarella cheese - eggplant parm. YUMMMMM

This sounds yummy! I wonder if I could use egg substitute and ground up fiber 1 crumbs? that sounds like a hungry-girl recipe actually. I'll have to check her site and my cookbooks :)

The ratatouille sounds awesome too!

Keep 'em coming!
  • souixz
    souixz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    slice into 1/2 - 3/4 inch slices and lightly brush with garlic and seasoning infused olive oil...bake at 400* until light brown and flip..brown other side. These slices are great for sandwiches, lasagnes and pizza!!!:happy:
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    all i do is slice it and bake it in the oven, then top with some tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. simple and low calorie.
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: eggplant!

I slice them up in to pieces and saute w/ a little extra virgin olive oil (with lite covered) until soft. Eat them w/ grilled or baked chicken or baked salmon and it is delicious!!!!
  • mlervold
    Options
    I slice it into very thin slices lengthwise, dip them in milk then bread crumbs, spoon low fat ricotta cheese (seasoned with italian spices or whatever seasoning you prefer) on to the slices and roll them up. Place them in a baking pan and bake for about 45 minutes in a 350 oven. I cover them in spaghetti sauce about 10 minutes before pulling them out.