Advice on staying motivated beyond your 'comfort' point?

Options
I'd really love to hear people weigh in with some personal experience and helpful suggestions on this topic. Here is my scenario:

I originally set out to lose 40lbs. I am down nearly 25 at this point, so I've only got a little ways left to go. These days, I've been checking myself out, buying new clothes, and celebrating the refined shape and confidence I see in the mirror. I like my body. I really do! And in this, a new problem has arisen. I've gotten pretty comfortable with the way I look, and that comfort has made it easier for my convictions to soften when it comes to my eating. I feel like I've settled into a maintenance mindset a little too early. Although I'm beginning to enjoy the way I look, I'd really like to complete this journey and look smashing. :happy: The motivation that I had at the beginning is just not there anymore. How do the rest of you continue to push through as you near the end? Any suggestions and help at all would be much appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Here are my stats:

Height: 5'8
Current jeans size: 9
SW: 195 lbs
CW: 170 lbs
GW: 155 lbs (Maybe 150? We'll see. :smile: )

Lifestyle: Sedentary (desk job)
Calories per day: 1500
When I workout (usually strength training at the gym, hot yoga, or running) I will eat back some, if not all, of the calories.

Again, thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any advice! :heart:

(Edited because I entered the wrong value for some of my stats. All correct now!)

Replies

• ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I can relate! It's easy to get comfortable with where you're at and lose sight of your full potential. What's really helped me is having a go-to accountability friend. My amigo Matt is the definition of a gym rat, and when we worked out together it was fueled by a healthy sense of competition. He knows me well enough to discern when I'm kidding myself and taking it easy instead of genuinely challenging myself. Unfortunately, I moved and we're now 2000+ miles away from eachother, but he still regularly checks up on my progress. If he thinks I'm slacking, he isn't afraid to tell me straight up and set a new challenge for me to reach.

Maybe give that a whirl? Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I had that happen, and gained back 20 of the 35 I had lost. So it is good that you are aware of it and trying to avoid getting too comfortable. What is working to keep me motivated this time around is focusing on fitness goals. I have started lifting weights, plan to try to start jogging, and returned to horseback riding after a 7 year hiatus. The goal of learning to jump and one day competing is keeping me focused--I am not going to be the fat girl at the horse show!
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Put the 25lb lost weight in a back pack and carry it around for a while maybe do a serious workout with it on and remind yourself how much better it feels when it came off, it might remind you why you are doing this!
  • AmyJoShanks
    AmyJoShanks Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Put the 25lb lost weight in a back pack and carry it around for a while maybe do a serious workout with it on and remind yourself how much better it feels when it came off, it might remind you why you are doing this!

LOVE this idea! Give yourself a tangible reminder of what it's like to be that much lighter!

I also like the idea of a goal outfit - I know it doesn't work for everyone, but a new dress or new jeans hanging in my closet is all the motivation I need.
    Good luck :smile:
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yep I actually made a video on this, just check my name and my channel. I found that in order to push myself further I had to evolve my reasons to push. Now I do it not only for myself but I got an army of people also looking to loose weight pushing me to push myself and that is the greatest feeling of all :) It's stronger than all the hate I had and more powerful than all the fear I lost. It is redefining who I am and what I want to be and that makes me happier than I have ever been :)

Cheers,

Tof
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    You have to want it! If you are happy where you are now then fine. But sounds to me like you want to get to your goal. I agree with others about getting some goal clothes. Also- take a lot of pics of yourself now (if you haven't already) and look at how different you are now. You have done an awesome job losing. I think it must be way harder to diet and exercise and not have much of a loss. If you have not bought smaller clothes yet- do it! The rush of buying smaller sizes NEVER gets old for me :)

Now, it's OK if you want to lessen up a bit. What I mean is- eat well most of the week and then allow yourself a day where you are less restricted. If you get too comfortable and start less restrictions with no strategy then it will sneak up on you.

I am in the same spot as you are. I lost 40 pounds and I love the way I look and feel now. I want to lose about 5-10 more but I don't want to be hungry (I was for most of the time I was dropping the weight). I am pretty much maintaining now, and know I will need to sacrifice something if I want to get lower.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am SO in this boat!!! I am glad you posted. I plan to lurk on this thread and see what others suggest.

Although much larger than you are (208) but also started out much larger (307, 262 for MFP), I'm in a similar boat. I feel so pleased w/ how far I have come and my motivation is lessening lately. I have not been below 220 in over a decade and haven't seen 199 since my early-ish teens so for me 208 feels unreal, and good. I hope I can push myself further!!
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 20 ... I have a LONG way to go but I hear what you are saying. I like everyone elses comments. Just don't get too comfortable. This is all your journey so do what you please!

50540473.png
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i just remind myself that must progress is made by going beyond. each time i shatter a limit that just pushes the bar higher for the next limit.

it's also fun to look back and see how far you've come.

seriously fitness is one of the only examples in life where there is a direct correlation between how hard you work and the payoffs you receive. i dont know about you, but i try take as many free "wins" in life as i possibly can :happy:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I like my body. I really do! And in this, a new problem has arisen. I've gotten pretty comfortable with the way I look, and that comfort has made it easier for my convictions to soften when it comes to my eating.

Hey, if you're happy, you're happy!

Losing weight for the sake of losing weigh strikes me as a great way to potentially undo all the good you've already done.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of there right now, even though I'm still about 10 pounds into the overweight category for my height. I want to lose 16 or so more pounds and I will, but I've lost the sense of urgency I had when I had 100 pounds to go.

I like the way I look now. I've never been a small person but for a long time I was a huge person. Now I'm a slightly more curvy than I should be person and I'm fine that that. I think the only thing really keeping me going is that I want to be able to say that I've lost 100 pounds. I will get there.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a great bunch of replies! Thanks, everyone. You're all super inspiring and helpful! :happy:

I will definitely try buying some goal clothing, and coming up with a fitness goal to reach! I think those are fantastic ideas. Also, looking towards maybe inspiring some other people to join me and keep me motivated.

I do have a trip to Cuba booked for March.... maybe I will go pick out a bikini. :wink:
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think part of the reason I am so happy right now too is because it is the dead of winter (I'm in Alberta, Canada) and sure, I look lovely and comfy in my jeans and sweaters and scarves. When I disrobe though, I can see all the places that still need some work. Hehe! In a constructive way, of course.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I was somewhat there my whole life. I wasn't 'big' but I wasn't little. I also wasn't as HEALTHY as I wanted to be. Its taken years of 'baby steps' going from working out once a week at a zumba class, to a boot camp class, etc. Now I'm loving my DVDs and working out 5-6 days a week. I'm 'ok' but I want more and I Want to be healthier.

I also have FB groups that keep me accountable. If I'm not checking in with my groups, its easy to say "Eh, why bother" but when you know others are Counting on you, it helps me.... tremendously.

Nancy
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of there right now, even though I'm still about 10 pounds into the overweight category for my height. I want to lose 16 or so more pounds and I will, but I've lost the sense of urgency I had when I had 100 pounds to go.

I like the way I look now. I've never been a small person but for a long time I was a huge person. Now I'm a slightly more curvy than I should be person and I'm fine that that. I think the only thing really keeping me going is that I want to be able to say that I've lost 100 pounds. I will get there.

Wow, you and I are almost weight loss twins! I started out needing to lose at least 100 pounds to get into the healthy BMI range for my height and have lost nearly 90 to date. For the last year or so, I've pretty much been slacking off - while I've continued to track and tried several methods to "kick-start" my weight loss, I haven't been fully committed to it. I've been thinking a lot lately about how I've been doing this for 4 years now and how if I really applied myself, I could get to goal by this time next year and how great that would feel! It's really helping me to refocus by looking back at how far I've come and trying to set goals to get to where I ultimately want to be.

So that kind of brings me to my advice.

1) Really put some thought into WHY you want to get to your goal, write it down somewhere, and keep thinking about it. Think about how you'll feel, what you'll be able to do and long term goals like staying healthy ahd mobile for many years, avoiding diet/fitness controlled diseases like diabetes, cardiovascular, etc. Make a plan around how you can get to your goal.

2) As someone else mentioned - fitness goals. Right now my focus for the rest of this month and probably January, is strength. I'm committed to doing 2-3 days of strength training and 2-3 days of cardio. Early next year I plan to start working on running again and possibly do an obstacle run and/or 10k by the end of 2014 if my body cooperates (bum knee). I find if I'm working towards a specific fitness goal, I'll be more likely to keep my food intake in check because eating better, fueling my body properly, helps give me energy to reach that goal.

Ultimately, you need to have patience. It's tough to lose that last 10-30 pounds because it doesn't come off as quickly as it did in the beginning and you might need to be more particular about your diet/nutrition and activity than you were before. And that means it's going to be more frustrating and you'll see a lot of fluctuations, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.
  • Kerrygirlinmaldon
    Kerrygirlinmaldon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well done, you are right to savour your achievement. If funds allow why not think of a trainer. I have been using one for the first time ever and he continually pushes me out of my comfort zone and keeping me focused. The intensity is stepped up every week.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Know that you will regret staying in the comfort zone.

I lost 100 pounds and have kept it off. When I hit the 185 ish mark I decided I would take it easy and relax a little and enjoy life a little more before getting to the 150-160 goal I set for myself (I'm 5'10"). I don't remember what sparked this "break."

That was 2 years ago. And now I am kicking myself in the butt. Of all the bad decisions I've made in my life, the one regret that I have is not continuing to lose weight with all the momentum from the previous 100 pounds. I did gain about 5-10 pounds back recently - which was expected - and have now lost those extra pounds and am restarting to get back to 150-160.

I developed a hatred for my comfort zone. I have now found a balance that I can lose weight slower (which is hard to try to do slowly) and still enjoy life....

Stopping in your comfort zone isn't stopping at your goal. I feel like I failed myself. I, admittedly, am always extremely hard on myself, but I can only beg you to keep going. You don't want to have to restart again adn wonder why you didn't finish what you started in the first place.

Maybe just create smaller deficits. I now have to realize that even a 500 calorie deficit, even 100 calories, is the right directions.