Logging Unknown recipes or foods

Options
I have an easy time when I make my own breakfast/lunch/dinner.

I have trouble logging foods at other places. Food example a cafeteria or someone else s house for dinner with their recipe.

For instance I had a turkey wrap in our cafe at work. I looked up turkey wrap and found anything from 200-700 calories.
Is it better to try to deconstruct the wrap? By the time I tried to do that lunch was partially over.

Any suggestions when certain meals/foods are vague?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I either find the closest thing in the data base - and when there's a big difference like you mentioned I trend to go medium-high. Like I'd probably pick something in the 500 calorie range. I kinda eyeball it too - if its a tiny wrap I might go 400 if it's huge I might go 600. Just best guess. There will be times you're over, there will be times you're under - I figure it all pretty much evens out.

Or try to log it separately, but like you indicated that can be a pain.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Deconstruct your meal and save it as a "meal" or as a "recipe" - that way, the next time you need to log it, the wrap is already listed by component. I usually log it as a meal - very easy to adjust the component measures when I feel gutsy and go for "double cheese".
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I've asked different places I eat what the recipe they use is and why. Most of them have been very helpful giving me that information. It's not like I'm planning on stealing their recipe and want to make it for a profit. I just want to be able to keep eating it and they know it. They've seen me lose 55 pounds in the last year and they're proud of me for that.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at places that have the nutrition info already available for me. If you're not sure, do your best to accurately estimate and try and exercise some common sense portion control.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I either find the closest thing in the data base - and when there's a big difference like you mentioned I trend to go medium-high. Like I'd probably pick something in the 500 calorie range. I kinda eyeball it too - if its a tiny wrap I might go 400 if it's huge I might go 600. Just best guess. There will be times you're over, there will be times you're under - I figure it all pretty much evens out.

I do this , Now I ahve had friend comment on my page that this
    has way more calories than I put but I just try to use myown judgement and come on ,it's like I'm trying to cheat myself.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options

This is what I do, too. If it's something I'll eat regularly, I'll try to deconstruct it and put it in My Foods. If it's a one time meal, take best guess and go.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Mentally deconstruct the wrap into its parts and dump the information here in recipe form (If you find a recipe online that you think is close that's a simple copy/paste):
    http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

Take the output and drop it in MFP as your own recipe.
  • anabs72
    anabs72 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I deconstruct. I frequent a place here that makes salad wraps. I asked the girls the calorie count on the wraps (250 - yikes!) and then I estimate the amount of protein and other veggies. My dressing is always on the side. I really should create a recipe and use that as one of my meals since I have it once weekly! Your macros might be off a tad, but the calories should be in the ballpark. Good luck!