Toning stomach

Options
What do I need to do to tone my stomach? I do 300 sit ups, 270 squats, 90 leg raises per leg, and 30 'stomach exercises' (I cannot remember what they are called). I know probably only two of these will benefit my stomach, but why isn't it more... defined? Or, what can I do to improve? I think I feel feel a bit of muscles, but I haven't got that line yet, is there anything I can do? Any exercises that will benefit me?

P.S, I go to the gym once a week, but I only go on the cross trainer. Also, I want to get thinner, thank you.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    No amount of crunches or stomach exercise wil make your stomach look defined. It will help strengthen those muscles, but only losing fat will make your abs show, and that comes through a calorie deficit.

Why so many reps? If you can do that many, you're just training your muscles for endurance. Add some weight. Add some compound lifts that use your core to stabilize. Continue to set at a deficit and do cardio you like. You'll g et there eventually.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "toning".

Toned is a look.

You have to lower your body fat % to look toned, and you cannot spot reduce an area of fat.

Where and when it's lost is genetic.

New Rules of Lifting for Women, great book to learn the fundamentals so you can learn about this stuff.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Ditto what Jen Mc said. Crunches really only work a couple stomach muscles; add some heavy weight and work on diet.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    First the best two exercises are the following
    Fork Put Downs
    Table push aways

Then- do some heavy lifting- 270 LBS of squats- not 270 REPS of squats.

and the dead lifts.

and over head presses

and bench

and pull ups

GET THAT WEIGHT UP GIRL.

I'm convinced all problems including world hunger can be solved through MORE SQUATZ and dead lfits!!!