Weight training--Beginner Exercises Before Can Buy Weights

Options
I need to start weight training, but I have no weights. Any suggestions on what I can do TODAY, until I get a weight set?

Also, are the Gold's gym weight sets decent? Suggestions there?

Replies

• rpsetser
    Options
    Calisthenics...no need for weights
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Any chance you can actually join a gym? You will end up with better options on programs you will be able to do. Plus you won't have to keep buying more and more weights as you get stronger and stronger.

Until then, start with body weight exercises: push ups, crunches, BW squats, lunges, etc...
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Body weight training!! If you do a search on youtube you'll find lot's of options for body weight training. Pushup, squats, lunges and planks are great for building strength when you are just starting out!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Pushups, pullups/chinups, crunches, squats, lunges, etc...

There are a lot of programs out there for bodyweight only routines. I've heard good things about "You Are Your Own Gym". Check it out.
  • ramblinritz
    ramblinritz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    filled water bottles can make light weights, bag of flour or sugar can be used, put in a plastic bag with handle and use like a kettle ball, but using your own body weight is great to start with. Like the other post said, push ups, squats, planks are a great start. Where there is a will, there is a way.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    YOUTUBE...not kidding...I started weight training using free youtoub videos...especially the pilates variety as they are all body weight exercises. I even used cans of food for weights when the regular stuff got too easy. I wouldn't buy a full set of weights just yet unless you can get them at a thrit store...you will very quickly run right out of the lower weights - i haven't used the 5 pounders in six months, now i wish i had 20's for some stuff. Target sells decent weights one at a time

Good luck to you and congrats for making a start!

edited for spelling - cuz I cant.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises

http://weighttraining.about.com/od/exercisegallery/a/Top-10-Bodyweight-Exercises-For-Strength-And-Muscle.htm

You can also use household objects as weights. Fill a milk jug with sand (or water if the cap fits tightly). Lift books or a backback. For smaller weights try soup cans.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Joining a gym is probably out of the question, since I work F/T, have a 3 hr. daily commute, and a 2 year old. I'm thinking I can exercise when she goes to bed. Additionally, I've had 3 gym memberships, during my life, and wasted them all. Unless, I get a personal trainer, I'm not sure I will stick with the gym. (Hmm...personal trainer for Christmas? Need to talk to my husband... :wink:)

Squats, planks, lunges? I can do those.

Weight set suggestions?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    YOUTUBE...not kidding...I started weight training using free youtoub videos...especially the pilates variety as they are all body weight exercises. I even used cans of food for weights when the regular stuff got too easy. I wouldn't buy a full set of weights just yet unless you can get them at a thrit store...you will very quickly run right out of the lower weights - i haven't used the 5 pounders in six months, now i wish i had 20's for some stuff. Target sells decent weights one at a time

Good luck to you and congrats for making a start!

edited for spelling - cuz I cant.

Ok, no weights, yet. I'll check into the vids. Thank you!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Joining a gym is probably out of the question, since I work F/T, have a 3 hr. daily commute, and a 2 year old. I'm thinking I can exercise when she goes to bed. Additionally, I've had 3 gym memberships, during my life, and wasted them all. Unless, I get a personal trainer, I'm not sure I will stick with the gym. (Hmm...personal trainer for Christmas? Need to talk to my husband... :wink:)

Squats, planks, lunges? I can do those.

Weight set suggestions?

getting a personal trainer was the BEST thing I ever did! I used one for 6 months before doing things on my own.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics / Plyometrics would be the way to go... plyos being for one who has a base to work with and not a beginner. Everyone is different but IMO all you need is a power rack, bench, barbell and some plates. If you want you could also invest in some kettlebells. That right there should be all that you need as far as weight lifting.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the following as a circuit:
    - Bodyweight Squats - 15 reps (go deep, 3 seconds down, hold for 3 seconds, 1 second up).
    - Rest sixty seconds.
    - Assisted Pull Ups - As many as you can do, focus on the negatives.
    - Rest sixty seconds.
    - Push ups - 15 reps
    - Rest sixty seconds
    - Walking Lunges - 15 reps on each side.
    - Rest sixty seconds.

Repeat the circuit three times.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

I'll check out the links, keep reading additional posts (if any), and DO SOMETHING, tonight.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can do a lot of good strength training with "just" body weight.
    Nerdfitness
    You are your own gym
    Shot of adrenaline