Retaining water with new workout?

Options
I recently started working out and I have not been able to lose weight. I have noticed though that I am retaining water. I searched online and one website suggested that my body might be in "survival mode" and that after it gets used to it I will begin losing weight. Has anyone else passed through that, if so how long did it take to start seeing results?

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    It's not survival mode.

From what I have read (I am no expert) there are two types of fluid gain that can happen when you start a new exercise program. An increase in glycogen storage, as your body adapts to larger demands and sets aside more fuel to meet them in future, and an increase in mitochondrial fluid, which helps your muscles to repair themselves. I bet someone here knows more about it than me, and perhaps will explain it more fully.

What I can say for sure is it happens to me, and it happens to a lot of people on MFP. The weight will go up for a few days to a week, and then your losses will resume (assuming you are eating at a deficit)
  • candiceh3
    Options
    Yes it is very normal.

There is fluid in the muscles that are being used in a new way - it is to promote healing.

I gained 2 kgs when I started lifting, and it was gone in 2 weeks, plus some weight loss.

Don't stress :) you are doing the right thing and eventually it shows on the scales.
  • rpsetser
    Options
    Pretty much what the other posters have said here. When you start a weight training regimen, your muscles hold on to some extra water until they get used to the new work load. Should take care of itself in a week or two. Also, the solution to water retention is drinking more water. It works, I promise.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Well... You don't say anything about your diet or calorie intake, nor is your diary open. Losing weight happens from a calorie deficit, not from exercise. Exercise is helpful in creating the deficit, but it's about the calories... Please open up your diary for starters... Good luck!
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I recently started working out and I have not been able to lose weight. I have noticed though that I am retaining water. I searched online and one website suggested that my body might be in "survival mode" and that after it gets used to it I will begin losing weight. Has anyone else passed through that, if so how long did it take to start seeing results?

No. No. No.

It isn't.

You lose weight through a calorie deficit. Nothing complicated about it.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    After maintaining my weight for over a year, I gained 5 lbs when I took up running. It slowly went away over 3-4 weeks. Perfectly normal when starting a new workout program.
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add when you significantly up your intensity too. I'm on the same program but increased my activity a lot by adding in more running and increasing weights faster in my lifting plan. It's making me really hungry too!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

No. No. No.

It isn't.

You lose weight through a calorie deficit. Nothing complicated about it.
    "Weight" isn't just about fat, and therefore not just about calories. Water retention can mask fat loss on the scale. OP, yes, it's very normal to retain water with a new workout, but no it's not called survival mode. Give it a few days, and you should start to see results (assuming of course that you are in a calorie deficit.)