Hopeless new member

Options
Hi My name is Tammy I am a stay at home mom of 3 kids in Massachusetts. I just recently started working with a fgitness trainer to lose weight. She wants me on a 1200 cal diet i ma 100lbs overweight and this just seems so hard to do. I also like doing a low carb diet because it curbs my cravings. I am so confused can anyone help me that has experience with alot of weight loss.

Hopeless Tammy

Replies

• sherrywoody1
    Options
    Tammy, that doesn't seem like anywhere near enough calories. Put your information into this site and they will recommend how many calories you should have. When my calorie intake is to low my metabolism slows down. One thing for sure, you are in the right place. This site and the people on it are priceless. Good luck! : D
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I can't help much, but I'm wishing you all the best. The biggest problem I had before was to learn to be patient and not to expect things to change over night. It was really off putting (and still is), that I don't see immediate results. But I'm constantly telling myself that it's not about dieting, it's about changing my habits with the benefit of losing weight.

The best think I found is to have a personal/fitness trainer, so you are already half way there.
  • TTcarey
    TTcarey Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Take one day at a time and use this site to help with the calorie counting... you can do it!!! good luck
  • SuperStorm
    SuperStorm Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a LOT of weightloss but I had 87lbs to lose and am now down to 58lbs to lose. In my opinion 1200 calories isn't going to be enough for you, especially if you're working out. I suggest plugging your information into the site and letting it show you how much you should be eating. You don't want to put your body into starvation mode because then you won't lose anything. OR if you really feel more comfortable watching carbs, go for it. A trainer is there to assist and advise but they are not the end all be all. At the end of the day, it's your body, do what makes YOU comfortable. I hope you find a good system. Good Luck!
  • rundgrenfan
    Options
    I am about the same amount overweight and this site has me at 1600 calories a day. You can do this. Most of us have been or are in your position. This site is great and gives you the power to make good choices. Good luck!
  • Fitzpoppa
    Options
    It will be hard and it will take time but the hard work and dedication will be well worth the outcome. You got the support you need here. we all have your back and will keep ya motivated. :)
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi, Tammy, and welcome! I want to lose 90 pounds overall, and I've lost 14 so far. I would not recommend diving down to 1200 all at once. You'll be hungry ALL THE TIME, and that is discouraging and very hard to maintain for any length of time. Heck, I was hungry all the time at 1600 calories when I started back in August, and I had to up my calorie allowance to 1700 just to make it through the day without eating my mouse at work. Start slow. Maybe just start logging what you currently eat. You'll begin to see trends and where you need to make improvements. 1600 calories is doable, especially if you do some exercise to "earn" back some extra calories. Don't make it too hard on yourself all at once, because that's a motivational killer. Be kind to yourself. You're ultimately going to make a LOT of changes in your lifestyle in order to lose that weight and keep it off. Start small and build up. You can do it!!
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hopeless you are not! Stick with all of us on MFP and we will support you! I also think that 1200 is too low. This is a life style change more than a diet. Work with the site, and you will accomplish lots!
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I have been on MFP for 4 months. It's the best decision I have made in many years. I have lost weight with diets many times before, but it was never a lifestyle change. This time is different; it's a lifestyle change, not a diet. Good luck on your weight loss journey. Please feel free to add me as a friend; we can help motivate each other.
  • teresaelliott
    Options
    Hey....good luck with you weight loss endeavour. I agree that 1200 calories is not enough to sustain especially if you are going to add an exercise program to your daily schedule. Also, it is proven that calorie counting is the only way to successfully and healthfully lose weight. You can try other diets, but they are just that...diets. If you are in doubt, ask a dietician or doctor, they will tell you every time to count your calories. You also have to try to balance everything else too, but calorie intake is what is really going to count in the end. I also find the first 2 weeks of any program or lifestyle change are always the heardest, so if you can make it past that hump, you are well on your way :)
  • CrimsonScotty
    CrimsonScotty Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    1200 calories definitely sounds low to me too, especially for anyone that is working out regularly. Not eating enough will cause your metabolism to slow down, therefore being self-destructive to your weight loss. See what MFP says you need once you enter your info, then try discussing it in a nice way with your trainer to see if she can help come up with a plan that will work for you. If she immediately gives you an attitude about challenging her opinion, you might need to think about finding another trainer. Keep in mind, everyone that claims to be a "trainer" is not an expert and some are not even close. When it comes to losing weight, what works for one doesn't always work for all, so your fitness plan should be individually specific to your goals and should fit into your lifestyle in a manner that makes you the most likely to stick with it. If you're suffering through it and are starving all the time, you'll be back in the old habits in no time and will not experience the results you deserve. Good Luck!
  • mrsrjp
    Options
    Hi Tammy, I'm new too :-) I agree with a previous poster about that not being enough calories. And take it one small goal at a time. Aim to lose 5 lbs by the end of the month (as an example) and once you meet that goal, make a new one. Take it slow. It didn't come on overnight, it will not come off over night. Good luck to you. I'm a stay at home mom of a 2 yr old :-)
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    You can do this! I agree on 1200 being far too low though.