Visible ribs AND fatty lower abdomen. :(

Options
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but hopefully you guys can help.
My ribcge is viable both from my back and my front, however I have lower belly fat. Is there my way to get rid of this. I know I can't "spot reduce", but how can I fix this problem. I want a flat stomach but am feeling as if it is an impossible goal. Thanks.

Replies

• cherrytulips
    Options
    i have a similar issue. my arms are extremely thin and i can see my ribs yet my lower tummy and thighs are quite plump
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bump
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, eat clean, and reduce body fat further.

It does seem impossible, because our bodies do not want to let go of those fat stores. You can do it, but it takes intense determination.

Best of luck to us all.
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    Lift weights.
  • pwnytayl
    Options
    The more greens and water-based veggies you eat, the better - spinach, kale, celery, tomato, squash, cucumber, and so on. A detox or probiotic supplement like Jillian Michaels triple process detox and cleanse can assist in ridding any toxic substances in the small and large intestines. Of course, plenty of water, but also tummy-target exercises, such as sprint-intervals, mountain climbers, planking, or high kicks really help as well. Hope this does some good for you.
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    The more greens and water-based veggies you eat, the better - spinach, kale, celery, tomato, squash, cucumber, and so on. A detox or probiotic supplement like Jillian Michaels triple process detox and cleanse can assist in ridding any toxic substances in the small and large intestines. Of course, plenty of water, but also tummy-target exercises, such as sprint-intervals, mountain climbers, planking, or high kicks really help as well. Hope this does some good for you.

thanks for the advice : )
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Kinda in the same boat. U can see my ribs but still got the lower stomach pooch ????
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Likely you are where I was after I'd lost 80 lbs; skinnyfat. You've likely lost weight using diet and cardio alone. The problem with this is that your body has allowed itself to lose muscle as well as fat because you gave it no reason to do otherwise. What you're going to need to do is put weight back on now. Start eating at maintenance at first and start lifting weights. Don't do cardio unless you really enjoy it while you concentrate on learning the lifts and the program you intend to do. Once you're comfortable with your program and settled into a routine, tailor your eating to match your fatigue. At first I'd just add about 500 calories on lifting days. Don't bother logging weight lifting according to a HRM or anything; it's pointless. Slowly, you'll build back up some muscle so that the next time you cut fat down, you'll have some more favorable shape underneath to reveal.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I agree with Huff- sounds like some serious weight training is in order.

My friend cut down for her first fitness show to 128- same size as me- but she looked AWFUL- like a rack of bones- and she knew it- she needs WAY more of a muscle base. She did okay because she trained well and had a good carb deplete cycle complete with striations and vasculatrity- but she just looked THIN.

needz moar muscles!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I agree with Huff- sounds like some serious weight training is in order.

My friend cut down for her first fitness show to 128- same size as me- but she looked AWFUL- like a rack of bones- and she knew it- she needs WAY more of a muscle base. She did okay because she trained well and had a good carb deplete cycle complete with striations and vasculatrity- but she just looked THIN.

needz moar muscles!

Hmm, yeah I was going to say the same. It sounds like you've got your bodyfat % down quite a bit, but you don't have much muscle to balance things out.

An important note, it's all about body composition. Don't freak out right now, just keep working at it.

If you need some pointers, the best place to start is New Rules of Lifing for Women. Great book, teaches fundamentals no bs, and is really accesible.
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in that same boat.. I started my weight loss journey in March..and have lost 30 lbs from a 30 bmi to a 26bmi.. but I am not to the "healthy" range yet. I am borderline. I have been stuck at the 30 lb mark since june..I have gone from a size 13 to between a 7-9..I have lost everywhere but my stomach is STILL holding on to fat. I started to do a bit of weight training at home, I am not too much into cardio. I get very bored with any cardio. I work in a fast paced job, where I get 10000 steps in a day easily, and running 5 miles, is just boring to me, so I do HIIT 3-4 times a week. just by wearing a fit bit, I have learned that I need to eat around 1500-1700 cals a day, which I do most days.. I'm just at a loss on how to get this belly to go away.. I'm hoping by starting a gym 5 days a week lifting routine, I maybe able to break it! Good luck!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Hahahahahahaaaa NO.

No foods "target" back fat, butt fat, belly fat, or any other kind of fat. SO while green veggies are great- don't think for a second they are going to magically remove belly fat. The idea is laughable.

Also, you said you KNOW you can't spot reduce, and this person ^^ is trying tell you that planks, mountain climbers, etc will help. Also laughable, because that is the very definition of spot reducing! Wow, some people... :noway:

Detoxes are the very essence of bullsh*t. If you have functioning liver and kidneys, there is nothing in your body that needs detoxing. And your body does not ever need a "jump start" to weight loss. Ever.

Continue eating at a reasonable calorie deficit, incorporate HEAVY weight lifting into your routine (not those pansy 3-5 lbers, either!) and maybe a little bit of cardio. Be patient and CONSISTENT, (meaning don't try a new fad every other week) and results will follow. Good luck.
  • Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    I agree with everyone who is suggesting strength training which will definitely change your body composition. Also if you're only holding fat on your lower stomach and not anywhere else it can be partly diet and/or stress related. Stress can cause you to hold extra fat specifically on your lower stomach, so can a lack of health fats/omegas.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have the bony (big) ribcage, a 2 pack, and then a lovely jiggly fat pad right above my bikini waistline :D My ribs don't keep losing weight until I get too low, so that's not a problem I have normally.

The belly does keep losing. I have to get too thin to want it entirely gone, but I've decided a little pooch is sexy. May as well go with that, lol.

Recently, I've seen changes over my ribs, though, from heavy dumbbell pullovers! It's really cool. So instead of looking like a bunch of ribs, the muscles there blend in with the muscles in my abs, and it looks really healthy. I still get softer below the navel, but meh. It'll go away enough with the last few pounds I'm losing.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    After losing 230 pounds I will always have fat/loose skin around the mid section unless I get surgery...
  • jasonalvear
    jasonalvear Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Hahahahahahaaaa NO.

No foods "target" back fat, butt fat, belly fat, or any other kind of fat. SO while green veggies are great- don't think for a second they are going to magically remove belly fat. The idea is laughable.

Also, you said you KNOW you can't spot reduce, and this person ^^ is trying tell you that planks, mountain climbers, etc will help. Also laughable, because that is the very definition of spot reducing! Wow, some people... :noway:

Detoxes are the very essence of bullsh*t. If you have functioning liver and kidneys, there is nothing in your body that needs detoxing. And your body does not ever need a "jump start" to weight loss. Ever.

Continue eating at a reasonable calorie deficit, incorporate HEAVY weight lifting into your routine (not those pansy 3-5 lbers, either!) and maybe a little bit of cardio. Be patient and CONSISTENT, (meaning don't try a new fad every other week) and results will follow. Good luck.

I love you <3
  • Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Hahahahahahaaaa NO.

I love you <3

Indeed Agreed!

She's kinda your face about some of the common myths we see passed around, but her focus, sense and conclusions are undeniable.
  • dcoleman01
    dcoleman01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What about the Firm workout videos that are a mix of cardio and weights?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Meh. I can always see my ribs whether I'm carrying extra on my belly or not. Just keep losing, it will all even out. Some people like to advise heavy weights. If you can and want to do them, great. If not, Google 'my body is my gym'. They have great resistance training ideas using your body as weight. And throw in a little cardio, because it's good for you! :smile: