Sandwich addiction.. Yay or nay?

Options
During.. Well, my time of the month, I craved sandwiches and now that's all I want to eat! I've been trying to stay with multi grain bread and such. But can someone let me know if this is alright? I just had a roasted turkey and swiss fresh market sandwich from Arby's with out the mayo, tomato, and lettuce. Is this helpinging me with my weight loss mission or kind of just.. Ehh.. Not so much?

Replies

• megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If you included the Tomato and lettuce it would do you more favours health wise... Vitamins etc... =)

Also some "multigrain" breads are really HIGH in sodium and cals.... so just be aware... if you can ask for the nutritional info on it.
  • Roobean33
    Options
    I hate to say it, but according to Arby's website 710 cal for that sandwich. So nay for that. Making your own would probably help, since the bread from fast food places contribute a huge amount to the overall calorie count.

My weakness is Friendly's BBQ Chicken. I think it's all my calories in 1 meal, but occasionally I splurge.
  • ahkunkel
    Options
    I'm not sure if Arbys would be the best choice for a sandwich, but I don't think sandwiches are bad at all for you as long as you don't slab on the mayo. For lunch occaisonally I'll have a sandwhich using 45 calorie sara lee multigrain bread, mustard, and some type of low sodium deli meat, and I'll put some spinach or lettuce on it too. I don't like cheese or tomatoes so I don't add them, but using a low fat cheese and adding veggies wouldn't hurt you either. In my opinion, as long as your logging it and you remain under your calories, I think a sandwich is a great option because it gives you grain, meet, dairy, and veggies (depending on if you put lettuce and tomato).
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I eat chicken salad sandwiches daily. I use Nature's Own 35 Calorie Wheat Bread.
  • vachegomoo
    Options
    I'm a sandwich fiend too... I've discovered that the Arnold's Sandwich Thins are really good in 100% Whole Wheat and also in Multigrain. They're only 100 cals each, and I've been trying to eat tuna with a tiny bit of Miracle Whip and lettuce/spinach instead of processed lunch meat. Satisfies the sandwich urge and keeps me full for a long time!
  • Jess814
    Options
    Thanks so much, guys! I appreciate it! I think I'll stick to making my own sandwiches now! :)
  • pro42
    pro42 Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree( make your own)..I have at least a sandwich a day with low cal rye bread,mustard, deli turkey and lettuce.

Skip the cheese and mayo on sandwiches and they are a great low cal meal.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of sandwiches. I love sandwiches. But you have to be careful of both the bread and the ingredients.

I switched to 100 calorie sandwich rounds because my favorite white bread was costing me 200 calories per sandwich. I pretty much gave up mayo and cheese, too. I use extra lean turkey bacon and stuff like that.

Not sure you can go fast food and do yourself any good, although I guess Subway has some lower calorie options.

Today I made a sandwich on a sandwich thin with a whole can of salmon (4 oz) and 1Tbsp of mayo and still came in under 350 calories even with a good portion of baby carrots on the side. Use some garlic powder and dill or whatever your favorite seasonings are.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Homemade sandwiches are usually very healthy as long as you watch the amount of mayo and cheese you use. And the more veggies on them the better! But fast food sandwiches are terrible. They have thick slices of bread which are often overly sweetened and they use lots of cheese, mayo or other sauces. Unless it's from Subway, it's got a ridiculous amount of calories. You're much better off making one at home.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Bologna sandwiches when the tomatoes are ripe on the vine. I think I've eaten as many as 8 in one day. Not any more since MFP.
  • steppann
    Options
    I eat sandwiches all the time. after I found a bread that was low enough in calories.

Healthy Life is the best bread I have found so far. I get 2 slices for 80 cals. 16 carbs, 1 fat, 5 protein, 0 sugar and 140 sodium

I also like to use the Kroger 2% swiss cheese. Its the long slices so I only use half for 35 cals.