Protein Shakes

Options
Hi,

When do you all drink your shakes? Before, After, or anytime to replace a snack? There is so much info on this and just wanted to get real people's opinions and what works for them. Thanks!

Replies

• rpsetser
    Options
    i drink mine right after. i use water, and usually also eat half of a large banana. if i don't, then 1.5 to 2 hours before lunch I AM STARVING, and will raid the snack or drink machine.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have one for breakfast and I always have one after I get home from the gym.
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I bake my pea protein powder into muffins (literally just the protein powder and 25ml of unsweetened almond milk per muffin) and eat them as a snack during the day, or with meals that dont quite reach my protein requirement

I do also have a soy protein shake that i sometimes use as a snack in the morning, plus i have a BCAA powder to make sure i get the full range on amino acids to help with my strength gains
  • rubixcube1974
    rubixcube1974 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well, this will sum it up. . . It depends :laugh: Are you lifting weights?? I usually have one in the morning and DEFINATELY POST workout. Lifting breaks down muscle fibers and the protein helps repair and build more muscle. There is all types of info here, http://search.bodybuilding.com/search/supersite/?q=protein&output=xml_no_dtd&client=wwwbodybuilding&proxystylesheet=wwwbodybuilding&getfields=description&filter=0&site=fun
    (Not sure if that link will work properly. May have to cut and paste. Be sure to understand Soy vs Whey protein. And women's needs vs men's .
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I have one either
    1) when I need more protein for the day, in which case I just have it whenever I feel like it. Usually in the evening once I've realised that I need more protein for the day. Or,
    2) If I'm exercising twice in one day, say lifting am and going for a run pm, I'll have a protein shake after my first workout.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I only have it after training. I have a whole serving after heaving lifting, and half a serving after dance/yoga/badminton/pace kit/walking

My body is REALLY good at storing carbs as fat so can't use it as meal replacement, but to help my muscles repair and hopefully not hurt so much or for so long after workouts.

Everyone's got different needs, best to figure out what's right for your body and lifestyle....
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Well, this will sum it up. . . It depends :laugh: Are you lifting weights?? I usually have one in the morning and DEFINATELY POST workout. Lifting breaks down muscle fibers and the protein helps repair and build more muscle. There is all types of info here, http://search.bodybuilding.com/search/supersite/?q=protein&output=xml_no_dtd&client=wwwbodybuilding&proxystylesheet=wwwbodybuilding&getfields=description&filter=0&site=fun
    (Not sure if that link will work properly. May have to cut and paste. Be sure to understand Soy vs Whey protein. And women's needs vs men's .
    \

LOL...just realized I forgot to put "lifting weights"....thanks!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Alan Agaron just posted a new study about

The effect of protein timing on muscle strength and hypertrophy: a meta-analysis

Brad Jon Schoenfeld, Alan Albert Aragon and James W Krieger

Abstract (provisional)

Protein timing is a popular dietary strategy designed to optimize the adaptive response to exercise. The strategy involves consuming protein in and around a training session in an effort to facilitate muscular repair and remodeling, and thereby enhance post-exercise strength- and hypertrophy-related adaptations. Despite the apparent biological plausibility of the strategy, however, the effectiveness of protein timing in chronic training studies has been decidedly mixed. The purpose of this paper therefore was to conduct a multi-level meta-regression of randomized controlled trials to determine whether protein timing is a viable strategy for enhancing post-exercise muscular adaptations. The strength analysis comprised 478 subjects and 96 ESs, nested within 41 treatment or control groups and 20 studies. The hypertrophy analysis comprised 525 subjects and 132 ESs, nested with 47 treatment or control groups and 23 studies.

A simple pooled analysis of protein timing without controlling for covariates showed a small to moderate effect on muscle hypertrophy with no significant effect found on muscle strength. In the full meta-regression model controlling for all covariates, however, no significant differences were found between treatment and control for strength or hypertrophy. The reduced model was not significantly different from the full model for either strength or hypertrophy. With respect to hypertrophy, total protein intake was the strongest predictor of ES magnitude.

These results refute the commonly held belief that the timing of protein intake in and around a training session is critical to muscular adaptations and indicate that consuming adequate protein in combination with resistance exercise is the key factor for maximizing muscle protein accretion.

http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-53.pdf
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Makes pretty much no difference when you take them, or if you take them at all. When you work out you will still be digesting protein from your last meal, and may have protein in your system from the day before. You don't need to have a protein shake before, during, or after, or at all if you are getting enough protein through the day from food.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    The shakes were too difficult to fit into my schedule, and my wife has owned a top model and talent agency for 35 yrs, and one of her Models told her about Probita. She calls it the Rolls Royce of Protein. I said, what about whey, and she said, if you feel like driving a Yugo, HA HA HA... Anyway, Probita is the world's only Hydrolyzed Collagen Protein where the delivery system into your body is a chewable cube like a starburst. It has less than 1 grm of sugar and 2 cubes are equal to a 16 ounces glass of whey.
    What all the staff and models covet is how fast it took away wrinkles and made their skin younger and smoother. Some of the models said their Mom's were chewing the cubes and after 7 days their arthritis pain went away. And to a person, they all said that they chew one just before bed and they ALL sleep sooo much better. check out the info site, www.discovervisiprobita.com
    IF you want a sample, email me at bak4you@aol.com. They have Berry flavor and now Chocolate.

Nice sales pitch.....and total rubbish.
  • cmira5ol
    cmira5ol Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning on rest days

after workout
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I mix my whey with fruit and yogurt or whatnot for breakfast..so meal additive?
  • DjangoAndDeadlifts
    Options
    Immediately after the gym to tide over my hungry muscles while I cobble together some solid food. My shakes are usually just egg whites and whey though.