The Daniel Plan

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Oh brother, I just looked at the website and filled out a profile to see what would happen. I got a first email "Welcome to Saddleback Church!" then another one telling me about The Daniel Plan, God's Prescription for Your Help.

I think it's an invitation for spam, a place for a religious slant on weight loss (I'm not saying this is right or wrong, I'm just saying). Since you fill out a profile and track your progress, it looks to me like a place not much different than MFP where you log, gain support, etc., except that the site is based upon a book and a book may required to understand it all.

I won't join, but the best of luck to whomever does chose to join.

That's why I looked around for a "safe" (as in, no signing up to learn more)site to open. I get enough spam from place I want to hear about.
  • greenhudler
    Options
    If the Daniel Plan is anything like the Daniel Fast it is meant more for the sake of spirituality than weightloss, and weightloss just happens to occur. If it's not, then I know absolutely nothing about it. I know a ton about the Daniel Fast though. I am no longer a Christian (and don't really care to jump on that discussion train), but I used to work as a youth minister and have done quite a few daniel fasts in my day. Again though, a Daniel Fast is more about spirituality and connecting with god and weightloss just happened to occur, but was not the goal.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    But they haven't been active for awhile.

Seems about right... everyone on my FL who tried this crazyness failed miserably. :laugh:
  • NMGeo
    NMGeo Posts: 8
    Options
    Let me say Thanks for your replies. I appreciate that each of you took the time to read my topic and formulate a reply. My interest in the plan is based on my diet/exercise experience... I simply can't stick to things long-term. The Daniel Plan has 5 "Essentials"... Faith, Food, Fitness, Focus, and Friends. From another life-experience of overcoming an addiction, I learned that depending on God and friends works when my willpower doesn't. So I'm hoping that, while prayer probably won't take the pounds off, it may result in my being able to stick with healthier eating and exercise... Which will take the pounds off.

If you'd like to follow my progress and maybe support me along my journey, I invite you to send a Friend request.
  • brooklynnchick
    Options
    I'd agree that ultimately weight loss is a numbers game, but the support system, accountability, and mind/body/soul approach are time tested. most 12 step programs use models that are similar.

What I don't understand are the personal attacks based on Warren's appearance. Not classy, no matter what values system a person uses they deserve to be treated with civility. Most people on here looked like Rick at one point or another - I was ten times tubbier! Mom's rule still applies, "if you can't say anything helpful, keep your mouth shut."

I think people jumped on this as a chance to bash a well known Christian and by proxy make fun prayer and of God- who isn't a vending machine obligated to spit out blessings whenever the prayer button is pushed. Would you have laughed and poked fun if the faith at hand was Islam? Wicca? Hinduism? How 'bout Buddha, he's a fatty. People are respectful of every faith except Christianity.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Let the firestorm begin. LOL
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Co-written by Dr. Oz. 'Nuff said!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    They are talking about it now on Good Day NY on Fox... :laugh:
  • greenhudler
    Options
    People are respectful of every faith except Christianity.

As someone who was a Christian and isn't any longer -- you and I must live in very different worlds as what I quoted from you is FAR from what I see in my everyday life. Faaaaaaar from what I see. Just because that's how it seems to you doesn't mean it's how those of other faiths feel about it, because as a Pagan who follows Buddhist practices as well (and adds in a whole bunch of lovely science) I have had a LOT more disrespect shown to me compared to when I was a Christian.

Also, they aren't saying anything about his looks because of his faith. They are saying that if someone is overweight, it's hard to listen to them about weightloss advice. And while I think that someone who is still overweight but has lost a lot of weight can absolutely be an inspiration -- I can see 100% where people are coming from in not wanting to listen to nutrition advice from someone who is overweight.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What is the plan? Something tells me it's some kind of highly specific smoke and mirrors that tries to hide the fact that it's a calorie deficit. You can dress up a calorie deficit in any clown suit and you'll get weight loss results. So why bother with the clown suit at all? :huh:

Some of us like clowns. :blushing:

I found what I feel was a safe link on CBS about the Daniel Plan - there's an autoplay video:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rick-warren-co-authors-on-their-diet-program-the-daniel-plan/

It reads to be a diet with community support/accountability. Starts off with 10 day "detox" (quote from CBS article):

“The truth is most of us are eating industrial processed food that has hijacked our brain chemistry, our taste buds and our metabolism - we need to stop that,” he said. “So, getting off of the junk food, the sugar, the processed food, quitting and dairy, just for ten days, gives you a jump start to reset your metabolism and then people feel better.”

Not for me.

well thats allI need to know that this is complete garbage..

anything with the words "detox" and "jumpstart metabolism" are immediate red flags of the ultimate load of BS to come...

Totally agree. I am Christian and have read much of Rick Warren's writings. I think he totally missed the boat on this one.

Involving Dr. Oz and repeating so many of the myths regarding nutrition just shows a lack of discernment in this. I get the motive for addressing the health of our bodies along with our spiritual health but this looks like a poor vehicle that does more harm than good to that cause.

Also, as a substantially overweight person, he should practice what he's attempting to preach.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I looked into it awhile ago. I like the spiritual aspect of it (I could always us a little extra guidance), but not the diet part of it. For me, it would not be sustainable. Good luck!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    [quote\]
    Totally agree. I am Christian and have read much of Rick Warren's writings. I think he totally missed the boat on this one.

Involving Dr. Oz and repeating so many of the myths regarding nutrition just shows a lack of discernment in this. I get the motive for addressing the health of our bodies along with our spiritual health but this looks like a poor vehicle that does more harm than good to that cause.

Also, as a substantially overweight person, he should practice what he's attempting to preach.
    [/quote]

I used to be a member of Warren's church. I believe he has lost a significant amount from when he started the plan. Not sure how much but he is noticiably thinner.

Edited for quote fail...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Let me say Thanks for your replies. I appreciate that each of you took the time to read my topic and formulate a reply. My interest in the plan is based on my diet/exercise experience... I simply can't stick to things long-term. The Daniel Plan has 5 "Essentials"... Faith, Food, Fitness, Focus, and Friends. From another life-experience of overcoming an addiction, I learned that depending on God and friends works when my willpower doesn't. So I'm hoping that, while prayer probably won't take the pounds off, it may result in my being able to stick with healthier eating and exercise... Which will take the pounds off.

If you'd like to follow my progress and maybe support me along my journey, I invite you to send a Friend request.

That's very cool. For me, having the support of others who are on the same page is very important to me as a motivational factor.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether or not it "works," I'm not a fan of someone using religion to sell a diet book. Rick Warren claims that he started this weight loss "ministry" because he felt it was a divine calling, but come on: the weight loss industry is a huge moneymaker. I'm sure the fact that God + weight loss = $$ played a huge role in this venture.

He also collaborated with Dr. Oz, who is a quack who misleads the public and not thus, uh, probably not exactly a good Christian role model.

Basically, I wouldn't want to give my money to either of them.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Would you have laughed and poked fun if the faith at hand was Islam? Wicca? Hinduism? How 'bout Buddha, he's a fatty. People are respectful of every faith except Christianity.
    Nonsense. I don't respect any of them. Magical thinking all.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I think people jumped on this as a chance to bash a well known Christian and by proxy make fun prayer and of God- who isn't a vending machine obligated to spit out blessings whenever the prayer button is pushed. Would you have laughed and poked fun if the faith at hand was Islam? Wicca? Hinduism? How 'bout Buddha, he's a fatty. People are respectful of every faith except Christianity.

That depends on whether or not Buddha was trying to sell me a diet book.

All kidding aside, I think you missed the boat with your last claim. Sure, a lot of random people disrespect Christianity, but it's not like they respect other religions either. Furthermore, it's not like members of one religion tend to be respectful/tolerant of other religions either. Islam gets insulted all the time around, Wicca isn't even considered a "real" religion (making it a joke), and the only reason why Hinduism, Buddhism, and other religions don't get insulted frequently is that most people don't know enough about them to bother.
  • brooklynnchick
    Options
    That depends on whether or not Buddha was trying to sell me a diet book. ...it's not like they respect other religions either.

Question: So you are saying that you would discount the value of any weight loss program based on the author's faith system?

Statement: God's not trying to sell you on the Daniel Plan. We were discussing an author who just happens to be a follower of Christ. Your statement doesn't distinguish between follower and the Divine.

Challenge: I challenge you and anyone else to find ONE other post in the whole of mfp which discredits an author simply on the basis of their faith - Islam, Wicca, Buddhist, Hindu, sock worship or anything else-, rather than an objective analysis their program's structure and components. Websites take things like that down because it qualifies as hate speech...except against Christians. If you can find it, I'll happily concede the point.
  • greenhudler
    Options
    Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Question: So you are saying that you would discount the value of any weight loss program based on the author's faith system?

I think the issue is with someone specifically using religion to try to sell a diet book/promote HIMSELF, not someone writing a diet book who happens to of a certain faith.

As a Christian(ish) person myself, I'm not OK with someone using religion to profit (in terms of either money or fame) off of people's weight struggles, which I feel is what Warren is doing.

Also: Christians are the religious majority in the United States, and historic Christian privilege is deeply rooted in almost every aspect of American life. The same can't be said for the other religious minorities you mentioned. You realize there are Muslims and Hindus and Sikhs in the U.S. who literally fear being victims of a violent hate crime, right? Hence the sensitivity about hate speech. That cannot be said for Christians in this country--its kind of offensive to compare being mocked on a fitness forum to that.

(OK, going to go back to talking about calories now. Enjoy your popcorn!) :)
  • runitskat
    Options
    That depends on whether or not Buddha was trying to sell me a diet book. ...it's not like they respect other religions either.

Pretty sure he's saying that Buddha was fat....
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

Statement: God's not trying to sell you on the Daniel Plan. We were discussing an author who just happens to be a follower of Christ. Your statement doesn't distinguish between follower and the Divine.

Challenge: I challenge you and anyone else to find ONE other post in the whole of mfp which discredits an author simply on the basis of their faith - Islam, Wicca, Buddhist, Hindu, sock worship or anything else-, rather than an objective analysis their program's structure and components. Websites take things like that down because it qualifies as hate speech...except against Christians. If you can find it, I'll happily concede the point.

Christianity is not analogous to other religions in the US, so attitudes toward it are not going to be analogous.

That said, I think there is skepticism on this site for any restrictive diet plan, especially if it is seen as being promoted through books or other products for a profit (or if it uses fuzzy terms like "jump start metabolism", etc). This is not reserved only for religious-based plans. So I don't think Christianity is being put on trial here.

Personally I am not religious but I respect the OP for trying to align his beliefs with his diet and for seeking out like minded individuals for support. He also seems like a very nice guy. Those who don't believe in it/agree with it/have interest in it don't have much to add to the discussion unless they know enough about the plan to debate its nutritional merits, which has not really been done.

On the bright side, the thread hasn't been locked yet!
This discussion has been closed.